Complaint Review: CBCS Collections And BellSouth

• Updated: Fri, August 10, 2007

• Reported By:Beacon New York
CBCS Collections And BellSouth
Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

BellSouth And CBCS Collections bogus account reported on Equifax credit report as collection account. NEVER had any account with them. Atlanta Columbus Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: I had a similar experience about a Southwestern Bell account

*Consumer Comment: CBCS collections, rude but found to be accurate

Recently received credit report from Equifax with collection account listed for CBCS Collections and BellSouth for an unpaid amount of $1110, 1st deliquency 03/2005, collection reported 05/2007. I Reported this error to Equifax with their reply (1) couldn't find account and then (2) their investigation confirmed the account #42910697 assigned 09/2006 was mine.

I never had an account with BellSouth (utilities) or CBCS Collections. I never received a bill from either of these companies. I never received a collection letter. I live in New York and have had the same phone number for 13 years, for the above NY address. This is an immaginary charge.

CBCS has not replied to my recent letter of 6/4/07 to CBCS. How do these people get away with this? Can you help?

Barbara
Beacon, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/08/2007 09:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CBCS-Collections-And-BellSouth/Columbus-Ohio-43216-3250/BellSouth-And-CBCS-Collections-bogus-account-reported-on-Equifax-credit-report-as-collecti-253173. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CBCS Collections And BellSouth

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I had a similar experience about a Southwestern Bell account

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

that I never had. Seems that when the account (originally for something called KM Enterprises in Rhode Island) was sold, whoever did the data entry transposed 2 numbers of the SSN and presto, it became "my" account.

I received notice from Vital Recovery Systems Inc and when I told them I was going to notify the NY and Georgia State Attorneys General of fraud because they refused to tell me who owned the debt or how to dispute it, they told me that Sherman Acquisitions had purchased this and gave me a phone number for Sherman.

I called sherman acquisitions and spoke to a nice fellow who told me to send them a letter disputing/disavowing the debt. I sent a certified letter, return receipt requested to them explaining how I had the same phone number for over 8 years lived in Buffalo, NY and I never lived in Rhode Island or had service from Southwestern Bell. I indicated that it wasn't my debt, that I wanted them to instruct Vital Recovery to cease all contact with me, and that I would pursue legal action if this matter showed up on any credit reports about me.

I was notified by Sherman that all was well about 6 weeks later and that it appeared that 2 digits in the SSN had been transposed in error. This matter never appreared on my credit report (that I know of.) I obtain a credit report about a year later and nothing was there that shouldn't be.

My point is that we know of many unethical collectors - just read the reports here, but sometimes an honest mistake is made, as I believe it was made in my case.

I suggest you write directly to the debt owner as I did. If you don't know who the debt owner is, then write a certified letter, return receipt requested to the debt collector and demand validation per the Fair Dept Collection Practices Act.

Once you contact the debt owner (CREDITOR) and dispute the debt they should resolve the matter, including notifying the 3 credit bureaus to have this item removed from your credit reports. I'm assuming you're being honest here. ;)

Good Luck. Send the letters as I've suggested and have a little patience - these things DO GET FIXED, but not overnight - it will take some weeks to resolve the matter with the CREDITOR and then have the credit bureaus updated.

Hang in there.

AUTHOR: Amber - (U.S.A.)

My husband and I were trying to get a home loan, when two credit collections appeared (seemingly out of nowhere) on his credit report. Since he hates dealing on the phone I resolved these issues for him. I read a lot of reports about CBCS, but found them to be a ligitimate collection agency. I've discovered some solutions to some problems other people have stated, and hope this information helps.

Bellsouth was the "collection" accout.. when you call bellsouth to try to find out if the account is ligit, the problem is that bellsouth only keeps records for 2-3 years.

So if the account in question is more than 2 years old, bellsouth will "have no record of the account"... that doens't mean it isn't legit. The other thing to consider is that companies like bellsouth and at&t own many local phone companies, and just because your bill may be from the local company doesn't mean the collection will be.

Generally, when an account goes into collection, said problem is handled by the parent company. So you may very well have an unpaid account with a local or long distance carrier you had previously, its just that that company is really owned by Bellsouth.

The other bit of information I determined is that companies are not required to notify you of a collection. They also don't HAVE to report it to your credit report. Its up to you to handle your bills and make sure things are taken care of.

Now, CBCS was pretty rude on the phone, but I'm a kind of a b*&^% myself so I don't handle that well. I know they can pull account information with just his last four, so I stated that, when they asked for his full social. They said he might not be the only "first and last name" in the system.

Low and behold he was. One account was a mistake. We had paid the bill, but the bill and collection status got crossed in the mail, so I called my electric company and they handled resolving the account for me. I got a letter stating that the account had been resolved and since it was a clerical error all evidence of that particular account had been removed.

The moral of the story is the Bellsouth account. As it turns out my husband's mother had opened the phone service in his name. Becareful of identity theft from EVERYONE. It may be against the law, but its still damaging to your credit. It did take some time to get everything resolved, but in the end they offered settlement options and accepted credit card, check-by-phone or money order payments.