Complaint Review: CBCS & Comcast

• Submitted: Fri, December 23, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, December 23, 2005

• Reported By:APO AP 96205 Asia
CBCS & Comcast
236 East Town Street Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

CBCS & Comcast sent me a collection notice from a company that I haven't had business dealings in 3 years ripoff Columbus Ohio

I have been serving in the military nearly three years. The last 2 years I have been stationed in Korea. I got in the mail yesterday a letter from CBCS saying that I had an outstanding account with Comcast.

I had Comcast cable briefly in my first apartment in Nashville. I cancelled my service, I believe in my first month. The amount seams erroneous because I didn't order any extra channels, I think my service was in the $30 ball park.

The fishy part of this is they misspelled my name and only got a partial address. I find it odd that they wouldn't bother to check my name before sending this out. I have a very common first name and the common spelling.

Further reading in the report showed: "UNLESS YOU DISPUTE THE VALIDITY OF THE DEBT OR ANY PORTION OF IT, WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER YOU RECEIVE THIS NOTICE, WE WILL ASSUME THE DEBT IS VALID."

I talked to my supply sergeant and she said that comcast did the same thing to her years ago and she had to get short with them before they withdrew their actions.

The unfortunate part of my position is I'm on the other side of the planet and calling during "business hours" requires me to stay up late. Furthermore, if my credit gets effected, I could lose my job and get reclassed as a "petroleum specialist" aka gas pumper.

I tried calling with a friends calling card and got a automated messaging system. After 5 minutes of endless button pushing, I got a "please call during normal business hours" message when I tried to dispute the claim.

I'm also fairly sure that under the soldier / sailor relief act that they can't demand payment or charge interest or take action against me while I'm deployed. And I would say that since they must have done a considerable amount of phishing to dig up my address, they should know I am deployed overseas (AP, my "state", stands for Armed Forces Pacific).

If you are reading this and you are a site operator, please at AP (Armed Forces Pacific) to the options available for state and set my state to that and country back to US.

Michael
APO, Tennessee
South Korea

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/23/2005 12:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CBCS-Comcast/Columbus-Ohio-43215/CBCS-Comcast-sent-me-a-collection-notice-from-a-company-that-I-havent-had-business-deal-169059. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CBCS & Comcast