Complaint Review: CBCS

• Submitted: Wed, January 24, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, January 26, 2007

• Reported By:Gautier Mississippi
CBCS
5 E Long Street Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

CBCS Collecting Fraudenlent Bill for BellSouth Columbus Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: MAKE SURE YOU GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING FROM THE BELL COMPANY

*Author of original report: CBCS Is the Real Culprit

*Consumer Comment: Wow-that's ballsy.

I moved to Mississippi from Michigan a year ago and called to order phone service. I continue to work from home for the company in Michigan thus I required four phone lines. I was told I would have to have a business account set up even though I wasn't a business owner. I was given the phone numbers and have been using them since. After Hurricane Katrina, I started receiving dozens of calls for a landscaping service. I do not own a landscaping service.

I received a bill from a collection agency, CBCS, stating that they were attempting to collect a debt for BellSouth advertising. This is where the nightmare begins. Luckily I have recorded their conversations otherwise I might think it was a horrible dream. I cannot believe the rude, harrassing behavior of the representatives at this company. I explained the situation to them and they called me a liar. I was told that I have to pay the $1200.00 bill and go after the landscaping company who had the phone number before. I was yelled at, cursed at, belittled, called a liar and treated with utter contempt. Never in my life would I have believed that a company like BellSouth would use this collection agency. I was even told by CBCS not to bother calling BellSouth for help. I told them I need to call someone for help because you surely aren't going to help me. I asked for verification of the bill and I was told I owe it so just pay up with a credit card.

Finally after dozens of telephone calls, BellSouth has admitted that the advertising bill was from 2004. Having lived in Michigan at the time, it was highly unlikely that I would have traveled over 1,000 miles to cut down any trees especially since I have never even done much more with landscaping than mow my lawn once a week. I was informed that when a company takes over a number, they assume they are going to benefit from the previous company's advertising so they just send the bill to the new person who owns the number. It's corrected since they know I didn't benefit from it and that the number "was given out too quicly" for the advertising department to catch up. I contacted CBCS and simply asked would I receive a letter from them stating I am not responsible for the debt and again, I was called a liar and told they are not going to do anything until BellSouth clears it up. Now, once again, I am at the mercy of BellSouth. The same who knowingly passed someone else's debt over to me and then to a collection agency. I truly hope that this site gives BellSouth and AT&T a glimpse into what they do to innocent people. While I may be just a number to them, I have to tell you that the stress caused by the bill and especially by the ignorance and rudeness of the representatives at CBCS makes me absolutely furious. CBCS should be ordered to cease and desist. I understand they are a collection agency and it can be a difficult position, but people still deserve respect. Not harrassment or to be called a liar and yelled and screamed at. I am 40 years old, it's been a long time since I deserved being yelled at. It's an absolute disgrace that they hire the people they do. One phone call had them passing the phone to three people and they sounded totally intoxicated. I could go on for hours about them, but I am sure if you are reading this, you have had your fair share of dealings with them. If there is a class action law suit filed against them and BellSouth, I would support that whole-heartedly.

Susan
Gautier, Mississippi

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2007 11:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CBCS/Columbus-Ohio-43215/CBCS-Collecting-Fraudenlent-Bill-for-BellSouth-Columbus-Ohio-232551. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CBCS

#1 Consumer Suggestion

MAKE SURE YOU GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING FROM THE BELL COMPANY

AUTHOR: P - (U.S.A.)

so to make sure you are cleared

CBCS Is the Real Culprit

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

I finally talked to two very nice ladies today who said that on January 11th information was sent to CBCS with the original debtors information. Apparently they aren't updating their records. I still can't believe that they think someone will just assume another person's debt, I realize that can't be legal if the new person didn't sign the contract. But I have to hope and pray that CBCS becomes honest. I have real concerns there. They aren't the brightest bulbs in the box so I am really worried. Would I put it past them to try and collect from both of us, no. Well, thank you to Bell South for taking care of it. Let's hope they go after CBCS who is representing them.

Wow-that's ballsy.

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Who the h*ll is Bellsouth to think anyone MIGHT somehow benefit from a previous phone number when it should have been held long enough to be irrelevant AND be expaected to pay the debt of a skip.

That is truly absurd. I would contact a lawyer-there is possibly money to be made here.