Complaint Review: CELADON TRUCKING

• Submitted: Fri, June 06, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, February 09, 2013

• Reported By:akron Ohio
CELADON TRUCKING
9503 East 33rd Street Indianapolis, Indiana U.S.A.

CELADON TRUCKING ..LEARN THE TRUTH ABOUT CELADON ! Indianapolis Indiana

*UPDATE Employee ..inside information: Listen,Stop getting Fired,please stop crying...

*UPDATE Employee: celadon

*General Comment: Open Back door policy

*General Comment: SHAME ON YOU, CELEDON!

*General Comment: driver complaint wrong

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: driver

*UPDATE Employee: dishonesty from the start .

*UPDATE Employee: dont talk what you don't know

*UPDATE Employee: I AM A DRIVER

*General Comment: Celedon should change their name to Sell-a-con

*Consumer Comment: Another NON DRIVER

*General Comment: Mr. motel lol

*UPDATE Employee: driver

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: really?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: .31/mi...Really?

*General Comment: Gideoscott

*Consumer Comment: You were fired.........................

*UPDATE Employee: Fact about working for Celadon

*General Comment: I go along with Anthony on this one.

*UPDATE Employee: responce to rebuttal

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: you are the exception to the rule

*UPDATE Employee: Celadon is not a bad company

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Celadon NOT a nice company to work for.

*UPDATE Employee: 19 inch neck

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: CELADON DOES NOT PAY TOLLS, REIMBURSEMENTS OWED, & DESTROY YOUR CREDITIALS AS A TRUCKER

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Things must have changed

*UPDATE Employee: Most of the negative are true, most of the positives are few!

*Consumer Comment: Not a BAD Company

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Great Company, Wish I had'nt left them

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Good place to work???

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Celadon is a great company

*Consumer Comment: Celadon Trucking

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Your SO FULL OF IT!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Celadon Was good to me

*Consumer Comment: Oh My...

*Consumer Comment: Oh Anthoney. Your such a sissy boy.

*Consumer Comment: Talk About Your Baseless Attacks....

*Consumer Comment: Typical angry driver pointing finger for self inflicted problems.

I could best describe Celadon trucking as twin brother to Swift, and when I tell drivers at truck stops I work for Celadon, they give me a horrible look like they just stepped in a big pile of dog-turd!

I would stay away from this company for many reasons. The foremost is TOLLS, TOLLS, and many TOLLS, they will route you on many toll roads and bridges.......and when you are finished with several loads you will not have any money left!!! Yes, they cheat you out of reimbursements for tolls and scales. The second is low pay for your experience....that will shock you...I am not kidding, the guy sitting next to me had 20 years experience, a good driving record ....and he was offered 31 cents per mile !!!!

Steve Russell, is the founder/ceo and chairman of Celadon, and I could best describe him as a 68 -year- old jew.... from new york city. He comes into orientation giving long speaches about his life, his wife and kids [like we give a crap] and acomplishments with a soft- phony voice pretending to care about drivers. Yes, the open -door policy crap you have heard before !! You will here him quote and talk about the philosopher Socrates, but the only problem is that Socrates never owned a trucking company and unlike steve russell,..... Socrates was a great man who believed in reason and reality.

My dispatcher that I was given, ....her name was Jennifer Wert... to best describe her ...A dumb, ignorant person who knows nothing of geography, dispatching, driver concerns and unknown of were she is on a map!!

Yes, celadons routing is a disgrace. Do not follow their directions... you will find yourself stuck in a rice field in China!!

The last and most important thing is short runs/ loads ....300 to 400 mile ones thru chicago, and two lane secondary roads and many,many, tolls.
Surely, I would stay away from this company.

Fred
akron, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/06/2008 02:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CELADON-TRUCKING/Indianapolis-Indiana-46235-4207/CELADON-TRUCKING-LEARN-THE-TRUTH-ABOUT-CELADON-Indianapolis-Indiana-337816. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CELADON TRUCKING

#1 UPDATE Employee ..inside information

Listen,Stop getting Fired,please stop crying...

AUTHOR: Michael - ()

This is what you do when u get FIRED..Cry on the Internet ..The reason u were fired,cause u drive like a fool...Celadon has done the right thing by letting go,,So GO...LMAO...Really,just GO away EH!!!!LOL

celadon

AUTHOR: GreyBeatle - ()

I find it very interesting everything that is being said about Celadon as I work for a company that has just been taken over by them three weeks ago. Unlike many of there long term employees, i first started with the Canadian division of Werner Enterprises.

In the first week of the takover they have lowered my limiter to 62 miles an hour, thus lowering my pay 1.14 an hour and have given absolutely no indication that they will increase the pay, at any given time. They have told us that nothing will change with our company, yet this seems to have changed. A pay decrease is not a good way to keep your drivers.

My father, is a driver as well, and almost worked for Celadon until from what he says, he figured out that it was a scam to become an owner operator for them. So he declined there offer of employment. My father was never a stupid man as he worked in upper management for the big 3 automotive producers for years before he decided to take early retirement and get his trucking license (CDL, Az, Class 1..depending on where you come from)

Now sitting here looking at my pay decrease. In 28 years of being employed, I don't believe I've ever had a pay decrease before. So very likely I'm going to quit my short lived employment with Celadon. It's a struggle in this day and age as a driver to just afford adaquate housing. With pay DECREASES, it is next to impossible to fore see a decent future with a company with business eithics such as this.

2013-06-30

GreyBeatle

#3 General Comment

Open Back door policy

AUTHOR: jody - (United States of America)

I am writing in response to the open door policy stated by a driver of Celedon.  I think you must be referring to the open back door policy......so as the company's secretary is stalling....the owner or person in charge is taking off out the back door.  As for ez passes, I didn't see one ......and the truck was brand new.....maybe they forgot to install one....  I am not one for bellyacheing...but I've said it once  and I will continue to warn any new driver that has a less then perfect record...DO NOT TAKE THE BONE THIS COMPANY THROWS TO HUNGRY DOGS......even most junkyard dogs get treated better than this company treats their drivers.  I have yet to talk to anyone but a dispatcher who can't find his way anywhere unless it is a Friday afternoon and you know he/ she gets the heck out of Dodge...they know the way out of the yard ...that is for damn sure!  SELL-A-CON IS JUST THAT....stay away!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

#4 General Comment

SHAME ON YOU, CELEDON!

AUTHOR: smartconsumer - (United States of America)

You say the boss's door is always "open"? Good, tell Mr. Russell I would like to speak with him. What's his number, how can he be reached? I look forward to speaking with him, since as you say, his door is always open.

Several things are clear to me in regards to Celedon: 1) Their offer of employment was false, it was not genuine, and 2) Celedon treats potential new hire ons extremely poorly, and 3) Celedon could care less about the drivers it has unemployed due to its many take overs, 4) Celedon has significant, unresolved employee/management disputes as substantiated by the many poor evaluations on this website. 5) The ethics of this company leave much to be desired!

In January, I applied on line, for a job with Celadon. First of all, the recruiter did not even answer my application, return my phone messages, or show any interest. I waited two weeks, and then I was finally connected with a recruiter. The recruiter was rude and immediately prefaced his interview with the remark that I was "unqualified" as a driver. His tone and manner were extremely dismissive of me, and rude, rude, rude!

First of all, I should back up and give a little background. Celedon bought out the company I previously worked for- (it was USA Logistics, a large company located in McAllen, TX)- and had previously offered me employment back in August. Presumably, they were going to send me a Greyhound ticket to Indianapolis to attend their orientation. At the time, I had already just completed a nine week driver training program and was looking forward to a career as an OTR driver. I had some experience, but not alot, we had driven all through the Northeast and Canada and I had previous experience with a straight van but not long distance OTR.

At the time, a Celedon recruiter phoned me at my home and offered a position as an OTR driver. He was aware, obviously that I had worked for USA Logisitics and that his company had unemployed me, hence, the job offer. I accepted the position, only I asked for a week off so he said he would call back next week. The next week he phoned with the job offer, again I expressed interest and he asked me whether I wanted to fly or take the Greyhound. I told him I would prefer the Greyhound, he said orientation was on a Monday or Wednesday, I said great, he said he would look into getting the ticket, he never did return the call and no ticket arrived in the mail. No follow up on the job offer, no letter of explanation for what happened, just told to park my load and left on my own to pay my way home!

Fast forward to January, and I applied over the internet on the Celedon website. This time no one calls me back, I have to phone them, and the offer is withdrawn. My first attempt I get a recruiter named Beau Brinkley and I state, "I am calling in reference to the application I filed online"...and I am hung up on. I phone back, get the same recruiter and mention that the call has been disconnected. This recruiter then mentions, "oh, my headset came off".

I then reiterate my purpose for calling but before I can say anything else, the recruiter states that he has reviewed my on-line application and determined that I am "unqualified", and that I have under the required amount of experience. I then remark to the recruiter, Mr. Brinkley, that the company had previously made me an offer of employment in August, but before I can continue and he tells me, "That was then. Now you'll have to get on board like everyone else."

That's after he made the comment that I lacked the necessary experience to be hired on as an OTR trucker. And this was after I had already been offered a position as an OTR trucker in August and accepted, a long stretch of time between then and now (February) in which I have been unemployed and have been unable to hire on with any local company where I live. Again, that's thanks to Celedon, who bought out the company I worked for and chose not to utilize its facility here in McAllen (it was mainly interested in USA Logistic's large holding yard in Laredo).

Celedon and their takeover is the reason I am unemployed, how am I supposed to get another job in this job climate?  This company needs to step up to the plate and take some responsibility for the thousands of hard working individuals they unemploy!

The recruiter I spoke with was downright unsympathetic, remember this company that this recruiter represents is the cause of my unemployment!  And the promise of employment was not genuine, it was false!  How am I supposed to make a living now? This is the only skill I have to provide me with a viable way of making a living. I am fifty years old, I have to look for new career now!

Thanks alot, Celedon!

#5 General Comment

driver complaint wrong

AUTHOR: titus transport inc - (United States of America)

I have a relative that has been with celedon for years and he is very happy there.He gets the miles and gets home when he wants.As an owner operator you have to pay your own expenses,Dah thats why its called owner operator.I too work for a different company and have to cover all expenses. once again welcome to ownership.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

driver

AUTHOR: Reginald b Nash - (United States of America)

first i would like to say you are telling a lie ,the dorm at celadon is one room  one bed  ,and they have a bathroom and shower s on the floor you are on and washers and dryers ,second lie you told was that the pay is 35cents a mile ,no son its not it is based on your exp,they have drivers there making 40cents a mile or better ,its just like any other trucking company and the time off ,well let me put it this way when i was due time off i had 3days off  ,  i hate seeing stupid so call truck drivers get on and just  lie to make them self look good , as for the boss  he is a good guy and his door is always open ,i should know he helped me out a bunch of times , and thats the truth and i been driving trucks since i was 21 ,in 1988 and its 2012 and i am 46 now ,and as for the scales they pay for them , its on your fuel card ,i think you have celadon mixed up with swift and for tolls you have a ezpass, in every  company truck ,if you was doing a lease then you was the stupid one and mr russell will tell you that ,if you ever talked to him and as miles go i was driving from 2500mi  to 3200 mi wk ,                                         you cant judge a book by its cover, you must first open it , to understand it                                                                                                                                                                                                                Reginald b nash                                                                                                                                                                           p.s                                                                                                                                     fred do me a favor write about something you do know

dishonesty from the start .

AUTHOR: skidrow - (United States of America)

This person is either a grand liar or is suffering from a mental disorder . Celadon does NOT have the best home time in the industry . It is 1 day earned for 7 days out . Same as every company . And your average haul isn't even HALF 1000 mile average . It was close before they bought out USA ,Robinson, and a host of others . Now they are using all 48 drivers to cover northeast regional short hauls and all they're other short routes . And pity on you if you have a passport . They put you on hold constantly until a Canada job comes through . Celadon is changing dates and times on deliveries and pick ups to not pay Any detention or lay over . I was told by the warehouse mgr. Of a place that celadon called and changed the date and time . Not the consignee . These are the facts folks and they are indisputable .I've caught this MANY times . You will fight for a month and still not get a dime . They would rather invest they're time and money on recruiting then treating the drivers they have like humans . Celadon is leading the way of the new trucking era.

dont talk what you don't know

AUTHOR: Vick - (United States of America)

I don't which Indy terminal you went to but there is a second floor and yes they have cots in a room you have to share with a stranger. You are not a driver there so you would not know. No they they are not the best paying company out there. They are an average place to work. All you cry babies they don't need.

I AM A DRIVER

AUTHOR: billy - (United States of America)

IM  HEAR TO TELL ALL OF YOU THAT AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER YOU MIGHT HAVE MADE A GOOD PAY CHECK BEFORE THAY CAME OUT WITH E-LOGS.IT SUCKS!WHEN  YOU START THE DAY IN  14 HRS YOUR ON ANOTHER  10 HOUR BREAK.LIKE CLOCK WORK.IF YOUR LAZY AND DONT CARE ABOUT MAKING MONEY AND WANT TO SIT ON YOUR A** THEN E-LOGZ ARE THE WAY TO GO.AS FOR ME IM GOING BACK TO RUNING PAPER LOGS WHEAR I HAVE CONTROLE OF THE TRUCK NOT SOME DAMN TIME CLOCK AND A MONKEY ON MY BACK TELLING YOU WEAR TO  STOP WEAR TO FUEL AND WEAR TO GO.ITS SO SAD TO BE OUT HEAR FROM YOUR LOVED ONES AND HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE NEXT A**HOLE WHO WANTS TO TAKE YOU HOOD OF AS THAY GIVE YOU THE FINGER AND GET OF THE EXT RAMP. ONE DAY SOME ONES GOING TO BE AT THE RONG PLACE AND THE RONG TIME WHEN THAT DRIVER HASED REACHD THEAR LIMIT AND BEN PUSHED TO TO FAR. AND FALLOW THAT CAR TO RED  LIGHT AND THEAR GOING TO JUST PUSH THAT CAR RIGHT INTO TRAFICK AND SAY LOUGH NOW...TO THOES DRIVERS THAT READ THIS KNOW EXATLY WHAT I MEAN..

#10 General Comment

Celedon should change their name to Sell-a-con

AUTHOR: jody - (United States of America)

Seriously, then I'd like to know under what bridge you live and where you purchased the box you live in ...or did an appliance store donate you one. there is no free ride... like I 've said  my 14 year old son makes more money in a year then the drivers who work for Celedon.  You make 20 cents a mile....after this report my boyfriend questioned it and he was told that financial cannot change it because their policy is changing your information twice a year...ummm correct me if I am wrong but that applies to life insurance beneficiaries and things of that nature.  BOTTOM LINE. they charge you to drive home, they dont pay for onduty not driving  yet it still counts towards your 14 hour day.....so grats that you can live on a 14 year olds' income from a paper route and snow shoveling....as for me,  at a working age of 18 I strived for something more then Burger King. but who knows, you would make more there and get a discount on the food...I 'd look into working there!! As for SELL-A-CON.... well  they can take their 20 cents and stick it.... not even be able to put money in a parking meter since it now costs a quarter or buy a pack of gum to eat since you can't afford to eat!  you go!

Another NON DRIVER

AUTHOR: JT Williams - (United States of America)

Spell check anyone? Your not a driver, nor have you been hired by Celadon yourself. YOUR  DAD, my god how many times have I heard that crap. Well your telling your dad's lie for him. Get off it sista' you are no authority to even question Anthony! I went through the same crap he did. And I have been driving for 31 years. I was there for two days and told them to stick it.

#12 General Comment

Mr. motel lol

AUTHOR: jody - (United States of America)

I can't see how you didn't feel at home with there accomodations......well that is unless you consider your rig your home......the "recruiting accomodations are more like barracks or some crappy dormroom.  You could have paid for a hotel at their facility.....but had you done that...you wouldn't have gotten the 76 whole dollars you got for the 3 day recruiting "bootcamp"......and don't forget the license they force you to get even though I've yet to see a load to Canada...ok!!!!! RIP OFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

driver

AUTHOR: WILL HART - (United States of America)

i,like this company,my girlfriend and i,team drive for celadon and we havent had any complaints up to this point,we started at the last part of may2012.we get our home times without issues,bonuses are great miles are very acceptable.steve russle is a good guy our dispatchers really try to work with us the best they can.we have been remburst for everything that was coming to us.our truck broke down recently right at home time at the bottom of oklahoma,they deadheaded us home took the truck back into dealer in joplin,mo came home and we were never botherd by dispatched.i,dont know what that other drivers problem was maybe just lazy,and presents problems on a daily basis but i,wil tell you we are happy.if you want to make good money bonuses celadon is the place to work

#14 UPDATE EX-employee responds

really?

AUTHOR: campy - (United States of America)

I agree with not making racial remarks..  or remarks about anti semantism... however Celadon is a financial power looming to make only a profit and no longer care about employees, yes maybe a few years ago they did, but they no longer do.  Its about the bottom dollar now.  Its okay that Steve makes over a million dollars, Paul Will 750k,  Jon makes about 450k.  If they have that kind of profit why is it not returned in some manner to the drivers who effortlessly abandon their families.. and get 300 a week checks when they were promised 600?  I think  that Celadon has become a capitalistic non caring place of employment and all they have to offer is minimal.   The admin employees are treated so disrespectfully that they cannot possibly be compassionate to the drivers.  Its very sad.. Capitalism at its best with no real American honesty or contribution.  Greed and narcissim

'

#15 UPDATE EX-employee responds

.31/mi...Really?

AUTHOR: Disgruntled - (USA)

.31/mi is what drivers are getting paid with Celadon....plus possible bonus? If this is true, then far too many of the drivers they hire have desperation as their middle names. I would go to work for McDonald's before accepting such an insultingly low wage for my efforts. Not to mention the bonus program is probably "performance" based, eg., miles, on time delivery/pickup's, safety, fuel economy...all subjective to dispatch and weather conditions, not genuinely performance based. I'm sure less than 20% of the drivers qualify for said bonuses because of the way the program is designed. In order to make a reasonable living based on the their mileage pay, you'd have to average 2800+ miles a week. That's just not going to happen with Celadon, unless you've landed a dedicated run. Then there is the cost of their health insurance, approx. 6k/yr, for a family plan with the lower deductible. I'm quite sure the average mileage per week is around 2k, which will keep you out of bonus range. 2000 x .31 = 620/wk x 52 = 32240 - 6k/yr insurance = 26240 - taxes - road expenses = horrible annual wage for time spent trying to earn it. After it's all said and done, you'll be lucky to afford a can of Spam and some saltines.

Face facts, Celadon is not a driver support based company. It's a use the drivers up type company. Yes, the equipment is well maintained, but that doesn't pay your bills, or provide quality of life for your family. They are not a driver's company, they are a board of directors company. They expect far more from their driver's than they expect from themselves. Bottom line, they treat you like crap and your pay is a direct reflection of their treatment. THEY STINK!

Since leaving Celadon, I work with better equipment, better staff, work less days and bring home 2.5x what I made at working for Mr. Russell. If Steve has a million dollars to give to the local arts, then he's not paying his drivers enough!

#16 General Comment

Gideoscott

AUTHOR: MartyMarsh - (United States of America)

I don't know you and would not say anything about you. But you said they will give you a chance when no one else will.Which means you have an accident or something such as no experience holding you back.It is the bad companies that will give a rookie or someone with other problems a chance because they can't get experienced drivers, and the companies that won't give you a chance want experienced drivers with no problems.This is by no means a put down,but because they gave you a job don't make them the best thing since sliced bread.I called them last year and they offered me 33 cents a mile with 38 years of experience,I was making 25 cents a mile back in 1980.Also that don't make them bad either.

A good indicator as to how good a company really is,is how many people have worked for them for 10 or 20 years.A bad indicator would be do they have oreintation every week with 5 or 10 new drivers.

Bottom line here is,all I'm saying is don't jump on a fellow driver because we are all in the same boat,and you really don't know what he is saying is true or not.Also I'm sure this company is quite capable of defending themselves,now let me throw in just a little dig here,unless you are counting up your browny points,and that I have seen way to often.You can be the hardest worker on this planet and it means nothing to some companies,unless you kiss butt.

There are always 2 sides to every story.

I wish everyone nothing but the best and God Bless.

mrtmrsh@gmail.com
Marty

You were fired.........................

AUTHOR: Gideonscott - (United States of America)

and as with most people fired, not only does it mess you up for the next job, it makes you angry. I have heard nothing but good things from this company! They give a person a chance when many don't. And after adding in the bonus structure, it is not only 31 cents a mile! I would recommend them and not make your decision on a disgruntled ex-eployee!

Fact about working for Celadon

AUTHOR: Eric Johnson - (United States of America)

I have worked for Celadon for 14 months and admit it has some problems, as all trucking companies do.But Celadon has NEVER cheated me on tolls, miles paid or any money due. I have pointed out that their routing was off from paid miles and then paid the extra miles. I do check to be sure I am paid all out of pocket expenses, and if not contact payroll. When issue corrected, could not read scanned reciept, the money was paid. I also get detetion pay when at a dock too long.

Yes Mr. Russel is quirky but a nice guy and a shrewd businessman. Celadon is financially sound I drive a brand new 2012 International with under sleeper heat/ air it is a good truck. Yes I would like some things changed but I drive a semi Mr. Russel is CEO so I know his knowledge of business is superior to mine.

If you want more hometime Celadons week off with pay every 30,000 miles is great, I had 3 weeks vacation my first year. Plus I did not have to empty my tractor, just park at my terminal and everything was as I left it.

Yes on occasion routing is bad but if you prove a different route is shorter they will change fuel stops per your route. Our operation managers are always available to talk to, they are open to what you have to say.

This is my 4th. trucking company I plan on staying.

#19 General Comment

I go along with Anthony on this one.

AUTHOR: MartyMarsh - (United States of America)

As for the orignal poster bringing up the Jew thing,that was wrong.

As for people who have had a good experience with this company,you are always going to find someone that had it good,just because, if they treated everyone bad they would have no one.I don't believe a driver should take the part of defending a trucking company,simply because of whats going on here.The people that like this company don't realize they may be in the same position one day.Not to mention,any company that is above board can certainly defend themselves and should do just that.It is always the bad companies that have the drivers,dispatchers and recruiters defending them.If a company creates a mess then it is there job to clean it up,if it is just an unhappy driver beleive it or not but that will go way on it's own,if there is alot of truth in what the driver says it can be backed up with logs,reciepts and other paperwork.

Like it or not,as a truck driver you are just another tool for the company you work for,and unfortunely for the company you are a tool with a voice which they would gladly take from you if they could.

I wish all nothing but the best and God Bless.

(((ROR redacted)))          Marty

responce to rebuttal

AUTHOR: Clay - (United States of America)

You might wish to read my previous post again, I stated that not all experiences are the same for everyone. I choose to support the company that has done right by me for 6 years. I feel no shame only pride for the success i have had. I was posting to show a fair picture of a company, so people can realize that there is not always bad reports on Celadon. As a proud Professional driver I would like everyone to get all the info about a company so they can make an educated decision and that includes peoples opinions positive and negative opinions. I have been driving 20 years total i have worked for 7 companies in my 20 years the first 10 years i made the mistake of checking the color of the grass on the other side of the fence. In my time i have learned that no matter who you work for they have their own system (the way they like it done) if you want to succeed you have to work their system all companies have their good and bad points.

#21 UPDATE EX-employee responds

you are the exception to the rule

AUTHOR: Disgruntled - (USA)

To read about your defense of Celadon is heartbreaking. Celadon, when you're a company driver, is an "us vs them" company. Driver support is pathetic and there is a tremendous amount of bait and switch going on in that company. I drove for them for a year and a half, worked over 300 days a year and made one of the worst yearly incomes of my driving career. If you defend them, then you are the exception. Their driver turn over rate is very high, their pay is on the bottom side of average and the treatment company drivers receive from management is despicable. You are treated as an expendable commodity, instead of a human being with a family, or a life outside of work.

As far as their lease purchase program goes, I can only speak second hand. But you, Sir, are the problem, not the solution. By defending their horrific treatment of people in our profession, when you know it is wrong, makes you part of the problem, not the solution. Shame on you!

They are a bad company to work for if you expect to be treated like anything but a piece of meat. I have celebrated nearly every day that I have been free from their grasp. They ARE Swift-lite. And are purely profit driven, regardless of how poorly they have to treat their drivers.

Shame on you for defending their garbage!

Celadon is not a bad company

AUTHOR: Clay - (United States of America)

I would like to start with a simple statement, Not every driver has the same experience as another. some of what you said is true some is just your opinion, if you were a company driver than you were reimbursed for all things approved by the company. i might add you were told in orientation exactly what was reimbursed and what was not. every toll in the northeast is reimbursed a scales are reimbursed the states that are not reimbursed have easy alternatives. as for the routing they tell you if there is a better way or some reason you cant use their computer generated routing all you have to do is tell your dispatcher and it can be altered. as for the pay, you are handed a slip of paper when you are offered a job on that paper has your rate per mile, at that time all you have to do is ask for more if it is unfair or say no and go somewhere else. to get miles you need to follow the company policy to the letter, if you were a X-employee than you know what i am refereing to ie. be on time be professional do your job to the best of your ability always set your ETA/PTA correctly always update it. all companies have a system you have to work the system to succeed and thats with any job or company not just Celadon. Be a professional do not blame a company for failing you 9 times out of 10 it was the driver that failed the company and them selves. I am not saying Celadon is perfect but there is no company that is perfect. to all drivers that complain or talk down a company, maybe you should reflect on what it is you did wrong or what you could have done better or maybe you were done wrong. but remember first and for most be PROFESSIONAL. I have worked for Celadon for 6 years, 2 as company and for as owner operator, which i might add payed in full lease purchase thru Celadon/Quality sales!

#23 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Celadon NOT a nice company to work for.

AUTHOR: redhawke - (USA)

i am a former emplyee. They put me thru the wringer with my type2 diabetes which they only gave me 1yr and i have always gotten 2yrs. Oh yeah i was in their room for 12hrs and then got a hotel room. then they had the nerve to charge me for a blanket that was never on the bed in the first place. I did get reimbursed for it after i threatened with my lawyer.

as for there on property hotel. its a joke the building use to be a women's prison. and there is a second floor.

as for toll reimbursements i have always gotten mine, Home time i always got home when i wanted to be there. But i also am alergic to tolls. i never follow their routing. their big thing now is making u go 150miles outta route to get fuel. also they like to force u to go to canada and that is against the law. its against the law to force someone to go into a foriegn country. but they are firing drivers for refusing.

I can tell u one thing and that is dont ever get hurt on the job with celadon, they make Swift, JB Hunt, Covenant, Werner Look like angels. I havea former driver staying at my house cause he got injured on the job and celadon closed his case of which he is still injured dr said he will never drive again he was about to be homeless so i offered him a roof over his head in exchange for some lite repair work that needed to be done on my house.

They fired him while he wason medical leave. and only paid 1 day of hospital bills when he had 3 days.there is more to tell but im gonna just keep it short.

19 inch neck

AUTHOR: Bubba - (United States of America)

I've worked for Celadon for 4 years now.  Always had decent miles, never had a problem with toll or any other reimbursements  I have been very happy working there and thought it would be a place that I could work for a very long time.  But, Then there came the re-certification physical.  Passed everything with flying colors, that is until the nurse practicioneer measured my neck and asked me if I snored.  I told her that I did snore and have always snored, she asked me how i slept at night,  I replied fine.  She says that I will have to go to a Dr. for Sleep Apnea, because I have a big neck and she couldnt see the back of my throat.  Funny I saw it an hour before when I was brushing my teeth, and as soon as I walked out of her office, I went in the restroom to the mirror and saw the back of my throat just fine!  I'm a big guy, I have a football build.  I'm not an obese person by any means, and I take care of myself.  I cant see going to the Dr. (a Dr. she suggested by the way)and spending all this money when I sleep fine, and I'm wide awake all day long.  I talked to a slender person in the waiting room there, and he said he snored and that he had problems sleeping, but he wouldnt have to do that because his neck is less than 16".  So, I have to ask? Is this some kind of profiling or discrimination?  I really wanted to do this driving for a few years, and I've been very happy with Celadon.  If they are profiling the drivers on this, I believe it is wrong, especially when the nurse practicioneer needs to lose weight.  I thought it over and decided just to get out of the business for good, I have a degree that I can fall back on.  I just feel that it is a shame to lose good drivers, because we may have a big neck.  I spoke to another driver about it, he said that he had to buy the machine, which he stated was around $8,000.  Insurance covered 80%. He payed 20%, plus all the other Dr. visits, and says he doesn't sleep well at all now on the machine.  Makes ya wonder if the nurse is on the take!  Keep it up Celadon, keep losing your good & faithful employees.

#25 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: JC - (United States of America)

This report, tells it like it is.   I also went thru the same stuff.  Daily I was left basically with no money and had to call home to borrow money so I could get something to eat and be able to continue my route so I could make my drop.  Thinking I will get reimbursed once I turn in my paperwork, ha ha.  I only to got screwed out of my money again, day after day, week after week.   I never got paid my reimbursement for my tolls, and I was shorted regularly on my mileage.
This company will set the drivers up if you complain to much, or when they suspect you plan to quit, they will direct you into a terminal and have security lock you out of your truck.  They will direct you into another pickup and to drop it at another Celadon Terminal only to be called in and told your terminated and escorted off the grounds by security.  So much for your belongings that they say they will ship home to ya.  It's your problem in trying to find a way home, pay for you way home, and when Celedon is done with ya, your pockets are empty so you can be straided & become homeless overnight with no place to go and no food.  CELADON DOES NOT CARE HOW THEY TREAT YOU, IT INHUMANE.   I made sure to cover myself and didn't let that happen to me, I secured my way home by driving my truck home, removed my personal belongings and called Celadon and told them where there truck was located.
What a laugh, got my so called last pay which was a email of my paystub with all this so called charges, resulting in $0 dollars paid to me but they made it look like I owe them.   Now the year to date numbers of tolls, reimbursements etc jumped drastically trying to show that I was paid for tolls & other expenses.  Never happened, I have the paperwork to prove it, and the numbers do not balance.
This company has some major issues at how they treat there fellow truckers.

I am furious at how I was treated and what I experienced, STAY AWAY, STAY AWAY.
It doesn't matter if you have weeks, months, or years of seniority with this company.   Trying to solve a problem when your on the road and calling and talking to your DM's is a joke, and trying to communicate with anyone at Celadon regarding the problems you are having is a major joke.  Your trapped on the road with their truck and responsible to make sure the load is dropped at the assigned destination otherwise your in violation.   They change times on you and you are notified at the last minute that it was suppose to have been dropped hours before.   Your not a mind reader, you can only go on the information that dispatch and your DM's give you.   You get a couple of days off and they still expect you to run deliveries.  What is up with that.  For every week out you earn 1 day off.  When I was told I was going home for a couple of days they just laughed and keep me sitting there waiting for a load to go out in my direction, otherwise I was told I had to wait.  I put in for time off and was approved for time off.  What's up with that.
MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH DISPATCH, AND EMPLOYEE RELATIONS.
SO TAKE ADVICE OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN BURNED, STAY AWAY, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN RIPPED OFF BEFORE.

What they tell you in orientation is not fact, once your on the road you find out the hard way.   Celadon will leave nasty reports on your DAC report, and you will not know until it is to late.   You will have to pay to get a copy of your DAC report to see what has been filed.  The DAC report follows the truckers everywhere.  Depending what is written about you it can cost you any or all future employment.
You have to argue about getting reimbursed your money which they will tell you that they did, but you have your paperwork to support the fact that you have not.  Also, when you leave, you will get your final paperstub which is dubbed with false information.  All truckers who have been wronged by this company need to unite and see about taking legal action against themThe mental, emotional and financial duress you are put under should be illegal and Celadon should be responsible for any damages that they incurr to someone's reputation because of their misuse and lies reported on the DAC reports.  They should be held accountable for the lifes that they have destroyed.  They have the power to totally destroy a person's reputation, good work ethics, and future employment.  TRUCKERS UNITE AND STAND TOGETHER AGAINST THIS COMPANY IF YOU WERE WRONGED.   I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO OTHERS WHO HAVE GONE THRU MANY OF THE SAME PROBLEMS AND SEE WHERE WE CAN GO TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM CORRECTED.  LIKE I SAID, STAY AWAY.  OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE SUCKED DRY AND HAVE NO MONEY, THEY WILL BREAK YOU.   cj

#26 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Things must have changed

AUTHOR: boone315 - (USA)

I left Celadon 11/07/07 because I had earned what I needed to get my own tractor repaired and back on the road, I was with them for 7 months and managed to save $15,000, of course I only went home for 5 days (July 4) the whole time. I have been driving since '94 and like anybody who has been driving for a while, some of the companies I worked for were no longer in business and I found they will not count that towards your experience if they can not verify your past employment even if it is on your DAC.  It was the biggest company that I ever worked for by far and thought alot of their ways were strange, meaning they want to hold your hand on everything.  I played by their rules as difficult as it was, never turned anything down at first, but as soon as you accept a load to NYC, they think you want to live there so I started turning them down.  I was one of the few drivers who willingly went to Canada and I did that because that was the quickest way out of their Laredo terminal.  I never had any problems with the truck or safety(I had a couple log violations)  I made a number of friends while there, And I have heard the horror stories from them so I know they are true and I was glad I left when I did, However for a new driver who needs guidance,  Celadon should be considered.  They were not the best company I ever worked for but they were financially sound, equipment was new and like I said, I made enough to get a new rear end and a head job on my own truck in a relatively short period of time and I might have leased my truck on with them but my truck was to old for them and I liked where I was already leased onto(Mercer)

Most of the negative are true, most of the positives are few!

AUTHOR: Disgruntled - (USA)

I have been a driver for Celadon for a year. Celadon has a habit of stepping over dollars to save dimes. Their office personnel love to speak in cliches and with condescension. The are masters of blame shifting. The refuse to answer questions that are in reference to accountability and are constantly avoiding it. The only care about corporate money, not whether the drivers are paid a fair wage.
As to the "Jew" comment by the former driver, inappropriate but not inaccurate. Steve Russell is Jewish and a New Yorker. He epitomizes the stereotype.
To address the "Room Accommodations", yes there is a second floor, it is every bit as awful as the first floor. I have, personally, seen shit smeared on the walls and ceilings of the communal bath/shower rooms. The motel they put you up in, when all the rooms are full on site, are the worst rooms I've ever seen in my life. Camping in a tent would be cleaner and far freer of possible contamination... it's a dump!

I have worked for several other companies, have a clean dac/dvr and 7 yrs otr experience. Celadon pay is substandard, offers no raises and the vacation every 30k/miles is subjective to how well you're dispatched.

I find management to be obtuse, arrogant and disrespectful to the needs of their drivers. They have a genuine "F-YOU" attitude. They are masters of double talk and you need to document everything that is said and done to you with this company. If you don't, you won't get paid. I've not made so little money since I started in the industry and I started with Swift.

They are very good at polishing words, using catch phrases and talking the talk. Bottom line, they don't walk the walk. If anyone is considering driving for this company, I would suggest a job at McDonald's, instead. You will be treated with more respect, your human needs will be give more consideration and if you become an assistant manager, the pay will be much higher.

To all of you who have not worked for this company, you need to walk in a drivers shoes before rebutting. Just because you've rode in a plane doesn't mean you know what the pilot endures. AVOID CELADON IF YOU VALUE YOUR FAMILY, IF YOU HAVE INTEGRITY OR ANY SENSE OF HONOR.

Not a BAD Company

AUTHOR: mstred - (United States of America)

This is a large company just like many more. My Fiance drives for them and they treat her fair. She always get reimbursed for tolls, and they get her home damn near all the time she want to. The pay is low but the job is there. She gets good miles, and good benefits. Nuff said.

#29 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Great Company, Wish I had'nt left them

AUTHOR: T - (U.S.A.)

Yes pay is low, but average. They make up for it in bonus, extra stop pay, etc. As for tolls, yes you pay in advance and are reimbursed next check. If you don't have the money you can get advances. If you can't multi-task these couple of things (like walking and chewing bubble gum) then you probably should'nt be trusted with a truck. Home time was great, on time and actually where I wanted to go. Many of my days off we're spent in areas I wanted to see or to vist family around the country. I left because I moved to a state they don't hire from, to be near my aging parents (80 & 88). I will soon make attempts to change address to Texas so as to get re-hired.

GREAT COMPAY, but still a company with large company problems, but still work well with others.

#30 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Good place to work???

AUTHOR: Straycat - (U.S.A.)

I'll say that Celadon is NOT a good place to work, not for the last few years anyway.. Unless you care very little for your own well-being and dignity as a human-being, never mind a sharp pro driver, with a spotless MVR and a good work ethic.

It's almost amusing, if it weren't so tragic, to read the half-baked efforts of the recruiters and "others" who state negative things about people reporting their mistreatment by Celadon in this forum.

I'd love to tell Steve Russel this to his face, if not for the fact that Celadon cannot bring themselves to have the common decency of a factual and honest debate over my matters as well as others who have complaints.

Fact is, these yo-yo's have damaged a lot of drivers careers and obviously keep on doing so. Like too many Trucking outfits, It's so very typical of the way they operate.

I regret very much, having given them the years of service and goodwill, that they did not have the common decency to return to me.

I've got a good education and I'm sure that I will do just fine. It's a pity that Celadon and trucking in general have gone to Hell.

#31 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Celadon is a great company

AUTHOR: Rubiconindiana - (U.S.A.)

Yes Celadon is a gret company if you are just a steering wheel holder.
Celadon is a great company if you can not read a map.
Celadon is a great company if you need someone to manage your money.

Yes Celadon is a great company if you can't think on your own
Celadon is a great company if you want to live in a 18 wheel motel
Celadon is a great company if you want to work for peanuts

yes Celadon is a great company if you need a driver manager to hold your hand
Celadon is a great company if you want to be treated like a number
Celadon is a great company if you like to sit in truck stops

Yes celadon is a great company wink wink nod nod.

Celadon Trucking

AUTHOR: Tinker - (U.S.A.)

My boyfriend has worked for Celadon for alot of years. There have been times when he has had to run alot of toll roads. Sometimes it can't be helped.But we have,what we call a kitty, a set amount of money to be used for tolls only. That way you don't run out of money. If you turn in your toll tickets correctly you will get reimbursed. We do double check the statements and on a rare occasion, one has been missed. We call payroll, inform them, they make it right.

As for their routes and directions, most of the time they are accurate, on occasion you may fine yourself in china, but I would say you will find that with any trucking company.As for dispatchers, there are good ones and bad ones. Every trucking company has that problem. That is how we see Celadon.

Tinker
USA

#33 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Your SO FULL OF IT!

AUTHOR: T - (U.S.A.)

I drove for Celadon and they were good to me. Had plenty of home time, got decent mileage and got paid what we agreed to. I did pay tolls out of pocket but was ALWAYS reimbursed.

You've just got some issue problems with yourself....... Figure it out and grow up.

#34 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Celadon Was good to me

AUTHOR: Somsak - (U.S.A.)

I have 18 years driving. First thing the anti-semetic comment was really out of line. Especially since the owner is not Jewish his name is not but maybee you think all New Yorkers are Jewish. I am a Texan and am Jewish. Putting your raceism a side. I worked for Celadon for almost 2 years there freight was great I got lots of miles and went 6 months sometimes without having to call the company because my dispatcher was so good at pre-planning me and answering the Q-com promptly. I averaged over 3000 miles when my FLD Classic's lease ran out they put me in a new Volvo with the with the table benches and upstairs bunk it was liks an RV. Lots of drop and hook lots of long loads. You are rite about one thing the pay is low they give you $1000 for every 60,000 miles but pay only like .32. Always was treated with respect there. If not for the low pay I would still be there. Oh FYI Jesus Christ was Jewish. Sterotypes are created by people who are full of hate and need to try to justify it. This is America drive for someone else but someone like you will have problems anywhere.

Oh My...

AUTHOR: Anthony - (U.S.A.)

...Imagine the horror of logging on an seeing that I have been called a "sissy boy".

You stated: "I'm not going to spend a lot of time with you. 90% of the drivers I speak to everyday are nothing but LIERS.. I can see where you would say that about recruiters."

My response: I think it's safe to say that many people in general will lie at various times. Drivers may lie for one reason or another in their search for a job. Recruiters as a general rule, will lie to produce results in their quest to fill empty trucks.

And lest we forget, that recruiters are oftentimes paid to lie in their quest to fill trucks for companies that purposely misrepresent the realities and circumstances of a sub-standard job, or to encourage potential employees to take positions that they would otherwise pass up, if the facts or the truth were laid out up-front.

You stated: "You leave out information on your application hoping we won't find it. You don't get hired then it's the recruiters fault."

My response: Excuse me, but I am not a person who has ever falsified an application. Number one, I know the consequences of doing such a thing, and number two, my work record is practically flawless. I have no reason to lie.

Now if you want me to stipulate that drivers with issues will lie on an application, then fine. Some do. But I have to wonder why this is an issue raised in this thread by you, since the driver who filed his report was hired, was not fired due to any issue of dishonesty, but who instead offered his personal and relatively negative experience while working for Celadon.

Did I strike a nerve, because I added my personal experience and the fact that I felt I had been willfully mislead in some way by a Celadon recruiter? Get over it.

I have had worse experiences than this, where I was willfully lied to by recruiters of two other companies, which will not be mentioned in this thread, because it does not pertain to the company in question here, which is Celadon. Thankfully, I discovered the lies before they had their hooks in me.

You stated: "However, My father has driven for Celadon 14 years but I will add he's pretty tuff. I have been to the Indy terminal. NO SECOND FLOOR as I recall. NO COTS!"

My response: I have no reason to lie about my previous statements as to my personal experience. I will swear to the truth of them on the lives of my children, my wife, and my mother if that will help.

Perhaps you have not been to the correct building, that is or was at one time used to house those arriving for orientation. I recall something the recruiter told me at the time, that the building doubled as a driver's lounge for all drivers with the company.

It was located on the south end of the terminal property, about a hundred feet from the parking lot. It had a large screen television on the ground floor, and a second floor where the dorm rooms were located as well as some restrooms and communal showers at the far end of that second floor. I specifically remember climbing at least ten stairs to reach that second floor, and the reason I categorically stand by this, is the fact that the temperature difference between the floors was no less than twenty degrees. It was ungodly hot upstairs and much cooler downstairs. My brief, few minutes there occurred in the spring of 2001.

You stated: "What is it that you have against Celadon? Would they not hire you Sir? Are you angry? BLAME, BLAME, BLAME. What you say doesn't add up. I don't think you ever went to Celadon."

My response: I hold no personal ill will towards the company, but they will never get my consideration ever again. I was approved for hire, but turned them down based on the welcoming I received on that night, as previously described. I am hardly angry some six plus years after the fact.

It may well not add up to you, because you may not know all that you think you know. I did in fact drive from my home to Celadon's facilities on the east side of Indianapolis from my home here in northwest Georgia.

You stated: "I do however think you have had your share of bouncing around from orientation to orientation. I would hate to pull your DAC but yet I'm sure nothing is your fault."

My response: The fact is, that if you were to pull my DAC file, as someone who claims to not be a recruiter, you would only discover that I have had only three driving positions in ten years.

Each of the three positions were for at least three years in longevity, all report a satisfactory record of service while on the job, and I have had one very minor preventable accident in the past five years. The first of the three was a reference that I personally inserted, as I owned the company prior to selling it, so I guess you could call it a biased reference. The second of the three closed their doors, otherwise I'd still be leased on there, but fate has a way of making changes for you that are even better, for I love the company job I have now. I've been on my current job four years and counting, and do not expect to ever need another driving job for as long as I live. I'll retire right where I am.

I take full responsibility for that minor accident on my second job. I missed a peg sticking out from a trash dumpster that caught my bumper in a very tight backing situation, and it was fully disclosed with a written explanation to the company I currently work for, along with my fully completed and easily verifiable application.

You stated: "Maybe a nice office job would be better suited for such a man. Tell your next recruiter you require a tuck in at bedtime & a soft mint on your pillow."

I've done the office thing. No thanks. I'm all for keeping what little white hair I have left in my head.

And while your retort is worthy of a nod for being original and indicative of an underlying personality disorder, I am hardly bothered by it. My skin is an inch thick.

You see, just because I retain the right to have certain standards as a truck driver with thirty years of experience and because I have saved a great deal of what I have earned over the years toward retirement, which by the way allows me to be quite a bit more picky than some of my peers, it does not necessarily translate into my being a "sissy boy". But I am not a doormat either, and that is how I was treated on that night by Celadon, and they can go pounce salt for all I care.

And so can you.

I am curious about one thing. As someone who claims to not be a recruiter for Celadon, and instead claims to simply be the son or daughter of a 14 year Celadon driver, why is it that you have opportunity to "speak with those lying 90% of all drivers" that you speak with everyday?

Ooops...

Oh Anthoney. Your such a sissy boy.

AUTHOR: Yetanother - (U.S.A.)

I'm not going to spend a lot of time with you. 90% of the drivers I speak to everyday are nothing but LIERS.. I can see where you would say that about recruiters. You leave out information on your application hoping we won't find it. You don't get hired then it's the recruiters fault. I don't recruit for Celadon. However, My father has driven for Celadon 14 years but I will add he's pretty tuff. I have been to the Indy terminal. NO SECOND FLOOR as I recall. NO COTS! What is it that you have against Celadon? Would they not hire you Sir? Are you angry? BLAME, BLAME, BLAME. What you say doesn't add up. I don't think you ever went to Celadon. I do however think you have had your share of bouncing around from orientation to orientation. I would hate to pull your DAC but yet I'm sure nothing is your fault. Maybe a nice office job would be better suited for such a man. Tell your next recruiter you require a tuck in at bedtime & a soft mint on your pillow.

Talk About Your Baseless Attacks....

AUTHOR: Anthony - (U.S.A.)

...Disputebs, your "defense" sounds as if it is coming from a recruiter.

So rather than to deferring to your suspect defense of this company, why don't we focus on the facts.

Number one, your associating this post with another is not proper. You raised issues that were not in the above post. So let's throw out those issues right off the top.

What's left? Not much.

The fact is that Celadon at best, would offer a 20 year veteran 35 cents per mile, according to their website. It's not 31 cents per mile, but it's also not an outstanding offer either to anyone with that level of experience. Celadon also has stipulations tied to what they offer any experienced driver, such as they must have had two consecutive years on their most recent job. Failing to meet that stipulation, then the offer at best would be 34 cents per mile.

Celadon, at one day off for every seven days out, most certainly does not offer "more home time" than any other company in the industry. A minimum of 14 days out is not something to boast about. That is among the worst that is offered out there, if you ask me.

I enjoy an average of 2 days off each week for four to five days out, I receive 21 days of personal time off each yearpaid at a hundred bucks a day, with no stipulation whatsoever, other than reaching the milestone of another year of consecutive service.

You might retort with their vacation policy as evidence of their time off policies. Anyone with a little experience in this industry can see right through that one. It's stipulated to the hilt, with goals that they themselves control, and that must be met in order to achieve those paid vacations "every 30,000 miles".

As to the rest of your attacks on the person who offered their experiences with Celadon, your making judgments with no evidence in hand to offer them. Really...is it fair to assume that this person draws on bathroom walls?

Let me finish my response with an experience of my own that I had with this fine company.

8 years ago, I was going to lease on some trucks to Celadon, and was approved with no problem at all. I always qualified myself with every company I lease onto, and check out a company myself completely, before I would dare send up any of my own drivers.

After extensive discussions with the recruiter, I agreed to come on up there, and one of the things that impressed me at the time, was the fact that they had an "on-sight motel", according to the recruiter. I drove 465 miles to Celadon's locale in Indianapolis.

I arrived there and made my way to the "motel". I introduced myself, obtained the card key to the room, and made my way upstairs. When I popped open the door, I was shocked to discover a small room with three army style cots in them. That's it. Two of them had the belongings of other people on them. It was clear that I was expected to share a room with two strangers. There was a communal restroom and shower facility at the end of the hall.

If this was not bad enough, the empty cot that was left, was directly below a ventilation duct that was blowing out hot air that hell itself would have been jealous of. The room had to be at least ninety degrees. I politely closed the door, went downstairs and inquired of the very disinterested man tending the counter as to whether more suitable accommodations were available, citing the hot room and the fact that I was not comfortable with sharing a room with two other people that I did not know.

He made it clear that he had no control over the room temperature, and that I "could take it or leave it." He then turned his back to me.

I laid the card key on the desk, walked to my car, and drove 465 miles straight back to the house. The next day, upon receiving a call from the recruiter, feigning pure shock that I had left so suddenly, I gave him an earful for wasting my time and then expressed my thanks for the welcome I received to their company.

First impressions are the longest lasting, and in all the years that I have been in this industry, I had never been asked to bunk with strangers, and I sure have not been offered a military style bunk in a 90 degree room to sleep in.

Call me spoiled, pampered, or even selfish, but I have my standards, and no one will ever call me a Celadon driver, because up until that day, I never once gave it a second thought to ask about the details of orientation accommodations. I have never made that mistake again, I assure you.

It's things like this, that have always made me take care of my own transportation when signing on with a new company, because no one, not even the lowest of companies, will ever trap me like a fly in a spider web, leaving me with no choice but to walk right back out the door if something has been misrepresented, and God himself knows that there are some pretty good liars recruiting for trucking companies these days.

I'm betting that Celadon still runs their "motel" in the same manner. It wasn't more than a couple of years ago that someone confirmed this to me, when they attempted to defend the company for offering meager accommodations as a method of introducing people to the meager sleeping quarters of a truck. His theory was that when a driver made it into one of their trucks, that it will be appreciated more. After all, who wants to compare living in a truck after having given up a nice clean soft bed, with other amenities that can be found in a standard motel room?

I do.

Typical angry driver pointing finger for self inflicted problems.

AUTHOR: Disputebs - (U.S.A.)

I'm sure your the same person who reported Celadon using cameras in the truck on the SAME day you posted this message.

FIRST OF ALL! The camera was voluntary! It wasn't to invade your privacy! It was to track things that could be improved for DRIVERS & make them safer! You were ask if you would like to do it! No one forced you.

Now, In regards to this message. Your OTHER message. Give me a break! A JEW? What is wrong with your brain Sir?

The only thing Celadon did is hire a driver they shouldn't have! I have a good feeling you draw naked women on the back of bathroom doors at the local truck stop.

YOU SIR made mistakes or you wouldn't have got the BOOT!

Celadon DOES NOT pay .31 cents for a 20 year driver!

The average trip at Celadon is over 1000 miles!

The home time is more then ANY company in the industry!

Do us all a favor & find other employment in another industry!