Eugene

Complaint Review: CHARTER ONE BANK - CITIZENS BANK

• Submitted: Wed, December 09, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, December 26, 2009

• Reported By: Ilene — Wheeling Illinois U.S.A.
CHARTER ONE BANK - CITIZENS BANK
Buffalo Grove, IL Internet United States of America

CHARTER ONE BANK - CITIZENS BANK Took over $700 in NSF charges from my account when I explained I had cancer and couldn't get to the bank Internet

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Citizens Bank Also Took over $400 from me.

*Consumer Comment: I am confused

*Author of original report: further explanation

*General Comment: pathetic...

*Consumer Comment: The bank does not discriminate...

*Author of original report: charter overdraft ripoff

*Author of original report: to insensitve morons

*General Comment: Hey Cancer victim

*Consumer Comment: Tough situation..

*Author of original report: duh!

*Consumer Comment: Its very sad.....

I explained to three bank supervisors that I was willing to assume responsibility for the overdrafts as I was undergoing cancer treatment and unable to get my money to the bank in time for the checks that were presented to clear. After no satisfaction, I wrote a letter to the president of the bank explaining my situation and asking if they could please meet me half way.  To date, in one month's time, they have taken $702.00 of my money in overdraft fees.  There was no cap on the amount, no willingness to help me out after I told them I just lost my job and was only working part time.  The letter to the president went unanswered.  After being a customer at this location for 25 years, I think it just really stinks that they have no sense of ethics or humanity. I guess the bailout money wasn't enough for them. They have to steal from cancer patients now too!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2009 02:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CHARTER-ONE-BANK-CITIZENS-BANK/internet/CHARTER-ONE-BANK-CITIZENS-BANK-Took-over-700-in-NSF-charges-from-my-account-when-I-exp-536664. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CHARTER ONE BANK - CITIZENS BANK

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Citizens Bank Also Took over $400 from me.

AUTHOR: rebepa3 - (United States of America)

Citizens Bank also took over $400 from me - two days before Christmas. They pushed a payment threw that was NOT scheduled to go out for another 2 more days. Then they held other $1.00 and $2.00 transactions and then let me clear when I was over drawn! I balance my check book to a "t" and it amazes me that they can do these things. I am up for joining any class action law suite against them.

When I called customer service they were rude, and could have cared less about me. Additionally when I went into the branch I felt shoved off . I was told that only my "original branch manager" could re-issue my over $400 in over draft fees.  When the bank manager of the bank i was in called my "original Bank Manager" to see if she would re-issue my un-necessary $400 dollars worth of over drafts her exact words were "I am not giving any over drafter fee's back this month no matter what".

Personally, I feel this bank is just out for your money. I can not believe that these actions are even legal.

I am confused

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

You said  "I had just lost my job, got cancer, and was working part time to make ends meet. " You got back and forth to your part time job but couldnt depost a check to cover the automatic deductions you knew you had set up?

In one of your replys you said "I did not write checks, my payments are done online and it takes no effort to sit at a computer or even to write a check for that matter. However, when you are on pain meds and cut open, kind of tough to drive to the bank or even think about it. "

Another post you say "I always prepay my bills online.  This particular time, I did not remember to move the payment dates out.  Had I done that, the funds would have been available. I was on a lot of pain meds."

So in your thinking, it is the banks fault that you banked while taking pain pills?

I know Cancer, wish I didn't. This is your fault no matter how you twist it.

further explanation

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

In response to all of the questions posed by posters.  First, when I said I assumed full responsibility for what had happened, I meant that I assumed full blame for the fact that I neglected to move out the payment dates of my electronically paid bills.

I did not intentionally try to float checks.  The deposits were in the bank but the funds were kept on hold by the bank and therefore not available.  They chose to put through the electronic debits and the following day hit me with NSF charges which depleted the money I had deposited.  Since that was depleted, they actually hit me with another NSF charge for putting through a debit the same day they took my money.  So in essence, they put my account even further into the negative by hitting me with another NSF charge then allowing one more debit to go through.  The money should have been there but the NSF charges took it all away.  Had they opted to not put the items through, there would have been a second attempt to put them through at which time, in 24 hours, the funds would have been available. Instead they chose to put them through just so they could make money off the NSF charges.  A friend of mine is VP of a bank and told me that most banks make their money that way.  There have been so many consumer complaints about this that a bill is being passed in January to prevent banks from doing this.  I know Citibank has a cap on the NSF's- they will only charge your account 4 times at most.  Northern Trust will only charge one fee of $25.00 regardless of how many items are put through.  Harris Bank will work with their clients and meet them half way on the charges if it was due to extenuating circumstances.  Charter One and Chase banks seem to be the worst culprits here.  Sorry, but to me it's like highway robbery.

When you explain to people that you are aware of the company policy but ask if they can please make an exception and they just stand by their rules and don't give a damn about you personally after having been a customer for 25 years, it doesn't exactly give a sweet taste in your mouth about that bank!

To those of you who are pointing fingers, I would love to see you lose your job, battle cancer, struggle to pay your bills and make a mistake that ends up costing you all of the money you have earned.

To those of you have been supportive- thank you.  To Charter One...you stink!!

#4 General Comment

pathetic...

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

"You brought this on yourself.  You also set your self up for negative blogs to your plight when you called the bank a thief."

Yes, you people that spend all of your time defending unethical banks for no apparent reason is truly heroic.

"Why is all this the bank's fault?  I would have had more sympathy for you, if you hadnt made the above statement."

It's not, but you people deny ANY fault by the banks, which is ignorance beyond comprehension, not that I should be the least bit surprised by this.

"As long as idiots like you keep coming out on this site to blame others for your problems, then people like me will be reminding you that all of this is your fault."

People like you?  Do you mean people that have the pathetic hobby of demeaning others that have been wronged by an institution?  How about morons like yourself that don't realize the banks take full advantage of the simplest mistakes?  People like you indeed.

The bank does not discriminate...

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

They STEAL from rich, poor, retired, disabled, cancer patients and war veterans alike.

What I do not understand about your complaint is you state you were willing to assume responsibility for the overdrafts. What did you mean by that statement?

Don't listen to the insensitive MORONS..no one cares what they have to say.

If the bank has a defense to this..they have every fair and equal opportunity to respond or rebut.

Has anyone from this banks consumer relations department responded to your report? If so please post. If not..ignore any asshole replies from the idiots and assume your bank does not care about your illness.

charter overdraft ripoff

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

I always prepay my bills online.  This particular time, I did not remember to move the payment dates out.  Had I done that, the funds would have been available. I was on a lot of pain meds.  I called the bank when I saw that all of the debits were being presented one after the other.  I did assume full responsibility and no way tried to place blame on them.  I asked them to accommodate me by at least meeting me half way as this amount of money was a lot for me to have to lose.  I had just lost my job, got cancer, and was working part time to make ends meet.  They simply didn't care.

This is so wrong that the government is actually passing a bill to prevent banks from doing this to consumers.  The banks were all given bailout money so that consumers wouldn't have to be put in an even worse financial position.  To take that money and then turn around and just ripoff their customers were fees is just plain unethical.  I can see a few fees, but 11 consecutive fees all at once is a but much

to insensitve morons

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

And happy holidays to you too!!!

#8 General Comment

Hey Cancer victim

AUTHOR: IamGood - (USA)

"I guess the bailout money wasn't enough for them. They have to steal from cancer patients now too! "  Your words, not mine.

"STEAL", Saying the bank stole from you. GD, you are like most of these typical rip off report posters, always blaming others for your stupidity, then wanting pity.  and when you dont get it, you call the bank a thief?

Who is the real thief here?  You are the one who made financial transactions without having the proper funds in your account?

Tough situation..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I am sorry for your situation, but that does not change the fact that you attempted to float funds.  As you wrote checks in the hopes of getting money to the bank before they were presented by the companies.

Would you have rather had the bank return the checks to the companies,  then having to deal with that issue?

Since you were going for treatment you should have known that there was at least a possibility that you would not be able to make the deposit.  Why didn't you contact the companies in advance and see if you could work something out with them to pay later after you had time to make the deposit?  Why is it the bank's responsibility to be required to help you out after the fact?

If you did try and work something out with your creditors and they refused where is the report on them for not wanting to help out a Cancer patient?

duh!

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

First of all, I am not an idiot.  I realize my account information doesn't state the nature of my illness, however, the three phonecalls made to supervisors were to advise them of what had happened.  Secondly, I did not write checks, my payments are done online and it takes no effort to sit at a computer or even to write a check for that matter. However, when you are on pain meds and cut open, kind of tough to drive to the bank or even think about it.  Have you always been so uncompassionate or do you work hard at it?  Know the facts before you shoot off sarcastic unconstructive emails.  This isn't a blog for your judgmental opinionated nonsense.  It's to help consumers.  Take a look at the other reports on Charter One.  In fact, a bill is being passed in January to stop banks from doing this to people. So, go blog your judgment bs elsewhere please

Its very sad.....

AUTHOR: Kym-berly - (USA)

It is very sad that you have cancer. But your account info does not say you are a cancer patient/single mother/elderly/black/white/green/polkadotted person.

If you are capable of writting the checks, you are capable of making the deposits.