Complaint Review: CHASE/BANK ONE/Palisades Collection,

• Submitted: Sat, January 27, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, February 02, 2007

• Reported By:Sweet Valley Pennsylvania
CHASE/BANK ONE/Palisades Collection,
87 S. Commerce Way, Suite 700, Bethelehem, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

CHASE/BANK ONE/Palisades Collection, Filed Fraudulent 1099-C with IRS on Alleged Account I've disputed for over 3 years; Bethelehem, Pennsylvania

*Author of original report: more on this matter

*Author of original report: Thanks

*Consumer Suggestion: Marie, use the 1099 against them!

*Consumer Suggestion: dispute this debt with palisades and if they can't validate

I received a 1099-C form today on an old Chase/Bank One account that has been in dispute and charged off for a period exceeding 3 years. The original alleged creditor failed to validate the debt as mine; provided ambiguous computer generated statements with part of my information.

I was the victim of identity theft in 2003 (wallet stolen out of my office) and received notification of this alleged debt later that year...with evidenced of unpaid statements without any purchases, etc. I asked for validation and provided them with a copy of the police report and they ignored it.

Several collectors attempted to collect and also failed to verify and validate the debt. I receive this today and assume I Can't provide the IRS with my documentation that I've been disputing this for over three years; assuming I must prove insolvency in order to be done with this mess.

Additionally, I am interested in suing this creditor and others who continue to harrass me as a result of this identity theft. Any advice on who I can contact to refute the 1099-C? I like the fact that the debt was cancelled...but I didn't make these charges...there was no income...the IRS needs to check this fraud out more seriously ...

Marie
Sweet Valley, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2007 06:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CHASEBANK-ONEPalisades-Collection/Bethelehem-Pennsylvania-18017/CHASEBANK-ONEPalisades-Collection-Filed-Fraudulent-1099-C-with-IRS-on-Alleged-Account-I-233075. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CHASE/BANK ONE/Palisades Collection,

more on this matter

AUTHOR: Marie - (U.S.A.)

I am the original author. I contacted the 800# appearing on the 1099 C form which I took as being a consumer contact for the IRS. However, it was a direct line to CHASE. I felt this was misleading. The woman who spoke with me was very polite, however, she insisted I give her the last 4 digits of my SSN...when I refused...she was not happy. We discussed the unresolved matter of identity theft, the facts that her company had copies of police report and dispute letters asking for validation of this alleged account..which they never did, yada yada...I told her I was contacting the IRS Fraud division as I never received any value from this alleged account..and was reoprting this to the Fraud Division. I asked her for the number for the IRS....she gave me the number for Snapon Tools!!. I did contact the IRS and the correct form for filing a response is being mailed to me.

This will probably screw up my tax return for a while but when corrected and investigated, I'm sure the IRS will rectify the matter.

Thanks Steve and Jae:

The 1099 has Chase/Bank One and an account reference: no address or contact number. I do have copies of the police report as well. I also have copies of my original documents whereby I have been disputing this alleged debt and asking Chase directly for validation as well as the subsequent collectors. What I initially received was a computer generated ambiguous statement...not on Chase Letter head but having my name, SS#, Address, Phone Number and the alleged account number...no signed contract with my signature, no copies of cancelled checks with my signature (showing a contract exists) and/or no copies of any legitimate statements showing purchases/goods that I allegedly bought.

Prior to this theft of my wallet, my credit was excellent. I have been fighting with two other alleged creditors (not sure if I can mention them in this dispute) and have been taken to court on accounts that are not mine, one that I won, the other two are still pending...hint the debt collector for the one company is one of the worst reported known as per Bud Hibbs...so, the identity theft has resulted in creditors having a "too bad" attitude believing they can suck the money out of me when I've provided them with the documentation regarding the theft...I really wish our governing boards would re-vamp the system and protect vs. persecute consumers...next thing we'll see a return to debtor's prisons...

I will try to find the contact numbers for an IRS consumer Advocate to follow your suggestion. I believe once presented with copies of the 1099, my letters of dispute and the copy of the police report, they will have to produce documentation to prove this was my account. Also, I believe the number of the alleged amount due is highly inflated, as I remember the amount significantly less when initially disputing with Chase.

I have a milk crate full of disputes related to this identity theft matter and sincerely hope someday I can have a "burning party" to dispose of the negativity related to this experience.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Marie, use the 1099 against them!

AUTHOR: Steve [Not A Lawyer] - (U.S.A.)

Marie,

You win either way here. Notify the IRS consumer advocate. Tell them you never recieved anything of value from this company. File the fraud report with the IRS along with a copy of the 1099.

ONLY the original creditor can issue the 1099, and when they do, there can be no further collections on it. It is done.

Sue these freaks for their illegal practices.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

dispute this debt with palisades and if they can't validate

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Marie

How did they calculate reporting amount?

Did they report the original creditors write off amount or that amount plus interest accrued since the creditor sold the debt?

In 2003 did you file a police report on the I.D.theft when your wallet being stolen? get a copy

i really don't know the IRS to well, but i can't see how after 3 years, you have to pay on interest, fee's ,ect. as income, the charge off yes.

who's listed as the creditor on your 10099-c? IRs rules state only banks, ect that deal with money(loans)can use a 1099-c

I would have chase/bankone, give a full accounting on how they arrived at the amount there reporting.

collection agency buy debts for pennies on the dollars.

I don't know if its to late, but i would dispute this debt with palisades and if they can't validate, i can't see how a 1099-c can be filed.

you can always sue them to get any money back that you had to pay the irs. the debt has to be valid and your's for a 1099-c to be use against you.