Complaint Review: CIBC Financial Group

• Updated: Fri, September 24, 2010

• Reported By: Jess — Mulberry Florida United States of America
CIBC Financial Group
234 Wellington St. Ottawa, Ontario United States of America

CIBC Financial Group Canadian Jerks try to send a "real looking" check to rob you! Ottawa, Ontario

*General Comment: CIBC Financial Group

*Consumer Comment: wow

Today I received a check for $3,750.00 along with a letter. The letter said that I was a winner of a customer comensation Draw. It mentioned Best Buy, Costco, Wal-Mart (which they spelt wrong) Sears, Lowes, Home Dept and other major stores.

The letter indicates that I've won $125,000 dollars, and that they sent me a check to pay for taxes. All I have to do is deposite the check and contact someone by the name of Fred Michael. Well, I've gotten this before, and it's seems like these Canadian's are getting smarter and making their checks more believable.

Whatever you do, don't cash the check. The check will bounce once you've already wired the money to these people, and you'll be stuck with the bill. They sent this to me years ago, and I almost fell for it, until I called the BBB. The check looks real, but you have to think to yourself, why is this coming from Canada, when I live in the USA??

I just want everyone to  be aware of this scam, cause they're getting good at it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/01/2010 01:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CIBC-Financial-Group/Ottawa-Ontario-M9K7B2/CIBC-Financial-Group-Canadian-Jerks-try-to-send-a-real-looking-check-to-rob-you-Ottawa-609165. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CIBC Financial Group

#1 General Comment

CIBC Financial Group

AUTHOR: MrsSheffield - (United States of America)

My husband just got a letter from CIBC Financial Group. I figured it was another scam since it did not have a return address. I opened it and read it and saw the "check". Do these people have nothing better to do? This one said to contact Phillip Adams. You know I may contact them just to go off. I am glad I did some research because now I don't have to waste my husbands time by showing him this. It sickens me that people do this.

wow

AUTHOR: G' - (Canada)

Are you dumb???  If you almost fell for this scam you are one of the dumbest ppl on the planet....who in their right mind would even think about cashing a chk they received in the mail with out knowing anything about it....you know why canadians send this stuff to the states??  cuz you are the only ppl dumb enough to actually fall for it....stupid american