Complaint Review: CITI Financila Mortgage

• Submitted: Sat, August 30, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, September 17, 2003

• Reported By:Titusville Florida
CITI Financila Mortgage
3232 ROYAL Lane Irving Irving, Texas U.S.A.

CITIFinancial Mortgaqe Continuously receives our checks for monthly payment cashes them then says they haven't received them Then they threaten foreclosure Can't get throught to an Irving, Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: Citifinancial is the remnants of Ford Financial and the The Associates

*Consumer Suggestion: Citifinancial Mortgage is a mortgage shark

We purchased a home from a realtor and used Decision One mortgage company, who one month later sold it to CITI out of Irving Texas. Of course we have no say in the process. It's been a nightmare ever since. Four times now I have rec'd threatening letters saying they did not receive my payments, now I must send two payments or they will begin to foreclose.

I call out there and here is typical responds,"Do you want to use you account number or S.S. # to access account(this is not a real voice anyway), so I in account # and then last 4 digits of S.S. number. Then phone rings, and you get a dial tone. So then you dial again, go through the process, finally get a person who says," oh, you need so and so.

Well so and so is never at his or her desk, so you leave a message and guess what no return call, again. This goes on for at least a week. Very difficult when I am working. Then I finally asked for a supervisor who faxes me a list of payments which actually show I over paid. But he gives no name or way to get him. I sent all cancelled checks back and front to their research department before August 1st, and still not the decency of a reply.

What, beside an attorney can I do. I have a buyer, thank you God, and I can't get an accurate pay-off. They are trying to rip me off for two months interest, because "we didn't get your check", but I have the cancelled checks. What can we do? Any help would sure be appreciated. I am telling everyone I know that if your mortgage company will see to CITI, get another mortgage company QUICK

Larry
Titusville, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/30/2003 09:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CITI-Financila-Mortgage/Irving-Texas-75014/CITIFinancial-Mortgaqe-Continuously-receives-our-checks-for-monthly-payment-cashes-them-th-66351. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CITI Financila Mortgage

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Citifinancial is the remnants of Ford Financial and the The Associates

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

I've Dealt With These People..
This is a very long and detailed tale of my experience and how I handled it.

Citifinancial is the remnants of Ford Financial and the The Associates. So it wouldn't surprise me if the same people are still employed there. I dealt with them when they were Ford and then Associates.

We bought our house in Houston in September of 97 and Ford financial bought our mortgage, sub-prime ARM 12.49% mortgage. We sent our payments religiously because of past problems with Household Financial which caused us to drop into the sub-prime category to begin with. On Christmas eve 97 we receive a yellow foreclosure notice in the mail. That is when I "BIT IN". I knew I was had been sending my payments as soon as we received our statement every month. I wasn't about to let Ford Financial do to us what we had gone through with Household Financial.

Right after the Christmas holiday I called Ford Financial to find out what was going on. They told me they had not received any payments since they acquired my mortgage, 3 months. Now I had the canceled checks in my hand showing that they had been cashed well before the due date. I was fit to be tied. They told me to fax the canceled checks to them and they would research it and it should take about 10 days. OK, I waited. No response after 14 days. I called again. They said it was still in research. I asked for their supervisor, talked to her for a few minutes, asked for her supervisor, I kept asking for supervisors until I was talking to the manager of research. She told me they couldn't find any record of my payments and it would take a few more days. In the mean time I had sent my January 98 payment. They couldn't find that one either.

Then the collection calls started. I started doing my own research. I learned about the FCRA, debt collection, consumer protection and the government agencies that handle mortgage companies. The first thing I did was send a certified letter telling them that under FCRA (paragraph,subtitle) I am informing them to stop all collection contact with me. The calls continued, the same guy would call me 3 times every evening. Then I got the receipt back for my no contact letter. I was waiting by the phone that night. He called. I let him make his demand for payment, then I calmly said " Do you know that you are in violation of federal law? " To which he smugly replies "What Law?". I told him FCRA paragraph and title such and such. It was obvious he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I ask for his supervisor and explained the law to him and that under that law I was invoking my rights, then I ask for the name of his supervisor. I called his supervisor the next morning and explained what was going on and that the calls are to stop. They actually stopped calling. But they still said they couldn't find my payments, but the foreclosure and collection letters stopped. I faxed the checks and the foreclosure notice again. Still couldn't find my payments. OK, its time to play hard ball!

I made alot of copies of the checks and all the letters, collection notices and anything else I had that was relevant to the situation. Then I wrote a formal complaint and started sending my complaints out.

Ford Financial: CEO,President,Vice President,Manager collections,Manager research, Manager acquisitions.

Government: Texas Attorney General,FTC,HUD,Fannie Mae,Freddie Mac,Veterans Administration,

Consumer Protection: BBB Houston, BBB Dallas

About 2 weeks later I got a call from some Assistant Director of Research from Ford Financial. She was soooooo nice to me. She told me that when they get an inquiry from the Attorney General's office they only have 10 days to respond and they would resolve this soon. About a week later she calls me back and ask about the account number written on the bottom of the checks. I ask my wife about it and found out she had not written our account number on the checks. Someone had written an account number on all my checks. The next day that same Assistant Director called me and they have resolved the problem. It seems that my payments had been going into a "Phantom" account under my name. They closed that account and put the money where it belonged. I then demanded that they supply me proof that my credit reports had been corrected to reflect "on time" payments.

About a week later I received copies of my 3 credit reports a letter of apology AND a check for $198 for an emergency room visit on 12/24/97 when my wife's blood pressure spiked and caused an uncontrollable nose bleed from thinking that we were going to lose our new house.

I paid this house off free and clear in October of 98. I bought another house near Austin in 99 and had a similar problem with my new mortgage company. I didn't even bother talking with them about it. I went straight to the written letter campaign. Got it resolved in less than a month.

The point is that you have to stand up for yourself and move Fast at the first sign of trouble. Don't wait until its to late, once lawyers are involved its too late. Play hard ball while the ball is still in your court.

Even though I created a mountain of paperwork for Ford Financial it seems that the motivating factor in this was the Attorney General, contact them first.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Citifinancial is the remnants of Ford Financial and the The Associates

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

I've Dealt With These People..
This is a very long and detailed tale of my experience and how I handled it.

Consumer Protection: BBB Houston, BBB Dallas

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Citifinancial Mortgage is a mortgage shark

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

Our mortgage was sold to citifinancial mortgage in december of 2002. after it was sold I started researching this companies reputation and it is scary. I was really worried about the safety of our home and kept every cancelled check and bank statement to prove that payments were made on time. I dont trust this company and nobody should. Our loan was refinanced with a local bank on 9-5-2003 and they are finally PIF thank god. I have a few web address about this company first I would check with the citigroup watch.com and the Federal trade commission. your not alone in this claim that payments are not applied to your mortgage. They are sharks.

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and like I said the Federal trade commission and possibly Consumer protection agencies. I hope this helps. like I said I have done a lot of research on this company and it is very scary. try to get away from them if you can dont walk but run.