Complaint Review: COLUMBIA HOUSE DVD

• Submitted: Wed, January 27, 2010
  • Updated: Sat, July 03, 2010

• Reported By: girlpirate — Everett Washington United States of America
COLUMBIA HOUSE DVD
Columbia House DVD Club PO Box 91602 Indianapolis, Indiana United States of America

COLUMBIA HOUSE DVD BMG Falsely reported invalid debt to a collection agency. Indianapolis, Indiana

*Consumer Comment: Any luck?

I got a credit card cancellation in the mail saying they closed my credit card account to do a negative collection on my credit. I pulled up my credit and I had a collection for $66. I called the collection company and they told me there is nothing they can do and that I need to call Columbia House. Calling Columbia House and getting a hold of someone is impossible.

I signed up for Columbia House back in early 2003 and I fulfilled my end of the deal by buying all the full priced DVD's. They kept sending me movies after that and I repeatably had to tell them to cancel my account. I told them to cancel my account 8 times and then I finally stopped getting movies.

And now over 6 years later (past our states Statue of Limitations) I get a collection on my credit. The worst of it is that the collection company says this account was opened in Jan of 2009! IT'S BEEN 7 YEARS NOW!!  This has dropped my credit score by 70 points and also caused one of my credit cards to be closed down. I don't know how much more my credit score will drop now due to my closed credit card account.  This has also caused me to get denied for a home refi.  I disputed this on my credit and of coarse they said it was valid.  What's next?  What can be done about this?  How can a collection company report something that is 7 years old and claim that is was opened in 2009/  This is so frustrating!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2010 08:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/COLUMBIA-HOUSE-DVD/Indianapolis-Indiana-46291-0602/COLUMBIA-HOUSE-DVD-BMG-Falsely-reported-invalid-debt-to-a-collection-agency-Indianapolis-561005. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on COLUMBIA HOUSE DVD

Any luck?

AUTHOR: Future_1811 - (United States of America)

Have you had any luck with this?  I just happened to look at my credit report earlier this week and saw an entry from a collection agency regarding a Columbia House "debt". Mine is for $66 as well.  I'm almost inclined to just pay the money and have them delete it from my report.  But, I really don't want to pay them if I don't owe so i may go through the whole validation process.

Mine is for $66 too.  Coincidence?  I highly doubt it.  I vaguely remember getting DVDs from them but it was probably about 5 years ago.  I have gotten no communication regarding this debt at all; just an entry on my credit reports.  Mine says it was opened in 3/2010 and reported 6/2010.  This is kinda frustrating.  Please, let me know your outcome.