Complaint Review: COLUMBIA HOUSE

• Submitted: Thu, April 01, 2010
  • Updated: Thu, April 01, 2010

• Reported By: Debra — Santa Fe New Mexico USA
COLUMBIA HOUSE
1 Pennsylvania Plaza, Floor 5; New York, NY 10119 New York, New York United States of America

COLUMBIA HOUSE yourmusic.com unauthorized purchases; fraudulent claims of failure to pay New York, New York

This morning (4/1/2010), I was denied a home loan based on a negative on my credit report appearing February THIS YEAR (2010) -- an account closure of due to failure to pay. The claim was by National Recovery Agency (2491 Paxton, Harrisburg, PA 17111; ph: 800-773-4503). They claim I owe Columbia House $88 from 8 years ago. I remember ordering CDs, and when -- ACCORDING TRACKING THEY PRINTED ON EACH INVOICE -- I completed my obligation, I returned each response coupon" with the box checked that I didn't want the current selection and wrote "CLOSE ACCOUNT" in marker across the each coupon. I would have called to cancel IF there had been a number to call. I moved 5 times since leaving that address. No other entity has difficulty finding me, by my contacting them with my new address or by postal forwarding. I make no secret of my whereabouts in any attempt to evade any entity. The BBB publicly reported (via Wikipedia) that: "In December 2008, BMG Music Service sold an unknown number of fraudulent debt claims to a collection agency. Supposed delinquents were not made known of their debt and most had not made purchases with the company for at least five years. Victims of the sale of false debt claims were not made known of either their debt or the account opened with National Credit Solutions. Most victims learned of the collections agency account when they were denied for a loan or checked their credit reports." Apparently, they repeated this practice in late 2009, this time with the National Recovery Agency.

I feel no obligation to pay for unordered items. Were this a valid claim, some attempt would have been made in 8 years to contact me. Going directly to credit agencies with "collection" claims warrants joining victims of this company and its affiliates in class-action suits. I appreciate advice on joining such suits and rectifying this situation, especially as to it impacts my ability to buy a home. (NOTE: This was the ONLY negative on my credit report -- but it was severe enough to deny a loan.)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2010 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/COLUMBIA-HOUSE/New-York-New-York-10119/COLUMBIA-HOUSE-yourmusiccom-unauthorized-purchases-fraudulent-claims-of-failure-to-pay-N-588477. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on COLUMBIA HOUSE