Complaint Review: CONWAY TRUCKLOAD FORMERLY CFI TRUCKING

• Submitted: Sat, April 19, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, March 19, 2012

• Reported By:Alachua Florida
CONWAY TRUCKLOAD FORMERLY CFI TRUCKING
CONWAYTRUCKLOAD.COM JOPLIN, Missouri U.S.A.

CONWAY TRUCKLOAD FORMERLY CFI TRUCKING MASSIVE FIRING JOPLIN Missouri

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: the same sort of thing happened to me in 2002

*General Comment: Fuel burned at a gallon an hour.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: 3 yrs and fired

*UPDATE Employee: Current employee, and ex CFI driver....

*Author of original report: UPDATE TO EARLIER POST

*UPDATE Employee: Happy CTL driver

*UPDATE Employee: Perspective is everything -- a view from a

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: think you were scammed

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: They do put people to the street

*UPDATE Employee: yeah,,but you aint going to believe this

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: More TRUE facts how things are at Swiftway truckload

*UPDATE Employee: Conway/CFI Fuel avg

*Consumer Suggestion: Being fired fron Conway Truckload

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: the real facts about conway truckload

*UPDATE Employee: You KNEW!!!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I never had a problem with CFI

*UPDATE Employee: I work for Con-Way and have a few points to make...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: cfiandhappy said they trade trucks in by 500,000

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: fact and fiction

*UPDATE Employee: Steve is obviously not familiar with CFI/Con-way Truckload and not an OTR driver either

*Consumer Suggestion: Well you know what they say

*Consumer Comment: Once again, some enlightenment for Steven-Jacksonville

*Consumer Suggestion: I think the "employee" should clarify his/her position! Obviously NOT a driver!

*Consumer Suggestion: Well Steve good luck

*Consumer Suggestion: Once again, Steven-Jacksonville should learn how to read and comprehend!

*Consumer Suggestion: You really make me laugh Steve

*Consumer Comment: More useless advice from Steven - Jacksonville!

*UPDATE Employee: Wish I never came to Con-way

*Consumer Comment: Would Someone Explain To Me...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: CFI didn't have to fire persay; they worked on provoking the driver to leave

*Consumer Comment: Employment Insecurity is a Rip-Off of the American Worker & Taxpayers

*Consumer Comment: Welcome To Corporate America

*Consumer Suggestion: Adding to what Anthony said

*Consumer Comment: I'm Not Sure About This One....

*UPDATE Employee: 200 Empty Trucks???

This is a message to anyone and everyone who might or is currently doing business with Conway Truckload formerly CFI Trucking. This company as of today has fired over 200 truck drivers in the last week.

My husband was one. He has been a truck driver for well over 28 years and not new to this industry. This company has treated him the worst he has ever been treated by a company.

He was told one month ago that he needed to come to Joplin Missouri so that the computer on his truck could be downloaded. Well it took them almost one month to get him to Joplin because the freight was more important.

When he arrived in Joplin today, he was terminated and told to get home the best way he could.

You see he was hired and did his orientation in Jacksonville, Florida. So its no easy task to everything that you take with you home again. Most of the time he was out for 4 weeks + so you have a computer, tv, refrigerator, cb, clothing and bedding (even his dog).

He was not given a copy of anything that he signed today. He was not told when he would get his last pay check. He just recently had a friend sign on and he was suppose to get a recruiting bonus, he was not told where that money is.

I am sure there has to be something they have done which is not legal today. I just need to find out what.

They talk a good game getting you to go to work for them. They are a driver oriented company. Well, today showed how driver oriented they are.

I hope that companies that do business with Conway Truckload or CFI will listen to this representation of how they treat their employees, just imagine how they will treat their customers.

I welcome all comments and suggestions. I just can't believe that they have known for almost one month they were going to fire him and never let him know.

The very least they could have done was fire him in Florida where he was hired. Not in Joplin, MO. Just in rental car fees we are at over 400.00. I don't know many households that have an extra 400.00 per month to spare. We certainly did not. But he has to get home.

The internet is a wonderful tool for getting your message out there.

May God Bless

Yknott
Alachua, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/19/2008 08:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CONWAY-TRUCKLOAD-FORMERLY-CFI-TRUCKING/JOPLIN-Missouri/CONWAY-TRUCKLOAD-FORMERLY-CFI-TRUCKING-MASSIVE-FIRING-JOPLIN-Missouri-327382. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CONWAY TRUCKLOAD FORMERLY CFI TRUCKING

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

the same sort of thing happened to me in 2002

AUTHOR: ModernAmericanNomad - (United States of America)

I drove for CFI from 1999 to 2002. I was a certified driver trainer for CFI aswell. I also helped recruit people. In the spring of 2002 Some other driver reported me for dropping an empty trailer at a truck stop. I used the King pin lock, a 30 foot Cable lock for the tandems and Glad hand locks to secure the trailer. I got the king pin and glad hand locks from CFI in order so I could do this so I could go to church. The weekend dispatcher called me and told me I shouldn't do this. My Regular DM knew I did this. Anyways, it wasn't an issue at the time. That was May I think. In September they had me pass thru the joplin yard and wanted to talk to me. They Fired me and told me it was because I had dropped my trailer in the spring... the thing is, this wasn't an official rule until august when they changed there rules about it. I had to rent a uhaul for all my things and my dog and I had to pay for the fuel to drive back to Salt Lake City Utah, where I was from. I loved working for CFI. In Fact I still have there belt buckle on my belt all these years later. I knew this sort of thing happened to other ex CFI drivers who I had met on the road. I thought it wouldn't ever happen to me because I thought I was a good asset to there company.... That Company has a bunch of horrible, people who in my opinion don't really care about anything but there monthy reports and the bottom line. It doesn't supprise me that these things are happening 10 years later despite the CEO and founder of the company passing away or retiring... Or what ever happened to him. This is the mentality of the management in joplin missouri... In My Opinion...

#2 General Comment

Fuel burned at a gallon an hour.

AUTHOR: MartyMarsh - (United States of America)

I love this one,these companies need to install APU's or pay for the fuel when drivers are resting.

Do you turn off your heat or A/C at home?If it is to cold or to hot in the truck,how do they get their proper rest?

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

3 yrs and fired

AUTHOR: Allen (Rattlesnake) Wagner - (USA)

I am an ex-driver for CFI, spending 3 yrs with the company and yes I was terminated. After 15 yrs of driving I know how most companies work and I just find to many details missing from this report. Though I can not speak about Con-Ways policies I am somewhat familiar with them as CFI had myself and another driver assigned to run a dedicated route for them out of South Bend, IN. for almost a year, this was before they merged with CFI.

First, I know why I was terminated, (bogus speeding ticket in Eagle Pass, TX.) but that's irrelevent here. But I was told why, I was also told that after getting it taken care of to contact them about returning.

Second, a driver does not get fired without knowing the reason for it. Sounds like he didn't want to tell his wife, or she doesn't want to say why. They do not terminate drivers for no reason.

Third, I also had to find my own way home, but this was my choice not theirs. They offered to get me home by bus or with another driver, however as I had a passenger with me and I wanted to take all my things home at the time I declined their offer. I only know of a couple reasons for a company to fire you and not get you home, drugs and/or alcohol.

Fourth, If they were going to terminate him they would not keep him on the road for a month before bringing him to Joplin, he would have been brought in immediately, even repowering his load to do so. Plus, if he was hired and did orientation in FL. under normal circumstances he would have been brought back there. So my guess is it was something fairly serious.

Fifth, drivers can be and are terminated for many reasons. Driving record, accidents, tickets, to many late deliveries and/or pickups, customer complaints, low fuel milage, drugs and/or alcohol use and other reasons. However, a driver is never terminated without being informed as to the reason why, and has had, (in many cases multiple) verbal as well as written warnings before hand and probably did nothing to correct his actions.

Sixth, He was told when he would recieve his final paycheck, by law they have a specific time period to get that to you. As far as any recruiting bonus for getting a friend to sign-on, read the rules, he would only get that at specified times as long as his friend stayed with the company.

I now work for a company that recieves deliveries from CFI/Con-Way and I get the oppurtunity to talk with their drivers from time to time and have never heard of any major compliants from them about the way they are treated since the merge.
Finally, when I was terminated, yes I was very upset and didn't think it right, however, it was company policy. After arriving home and talking it over, I decided 15 yrs was enough. I decided to just stay home and spend time with the family, a decision I do not regret, though I do miss being on the road. I do not have any ill feelings toward the company and would still consider them a good company to work for.

Current employee, and ex CFI driver....

AUTHOR: Flipside - (United States of America)

OK, in response to the speed limit, as we have an account in Ontario Canada, which has a speed limiter law of 65 mph, our trucks were turned down.  The timing was coincidence.  As the speed was reduced, so was our max, which is now 75mph.   While it is not hard to get fired here, it is a good reason that you were let go.  DOT reportable, and preventable accidents are probably the top of the list.  Second is mpg.  You are required to maintain 5.8 min.  But you will be brought in and given training if thought needed and 30 days to correct.  The company will work with you unless you present an attitude in which deserves no respect.  You mention a download, no driver I have ever met, has requested a download.  There is no reason on why a driver would request this.  Except when first given a truck, and in which case they are brought to Joplin ASAP if not given the truck here.  You say he picked it up in Florida, I can tell you, if he did, then he was only an employee for a month that it took them to bring him for the download.  The 3rd most popular reason is service failures.  If you are not able to manage your time properly, then you do not deserve to be here.   We are dispatched between 47 and 52 mph.  Yes there are loads that seem tight in time, but it is up to you to communicate with dispatch, if you fail to do that, your fault.  We also offer a bus ticket, or rental car if there are others going your way.  Or partial payment, equal to the bus ticket, towards the rental.  No company will tell a driver they are going to fire them due to the fact drivers are known to destroy trucks if they get wind of such news.  Not saying all drivers will, but many have in the past.  I am sorry you had a bad experiance, but in all of life, if you do not like your life, the nearest mirror will show you the cause, and only solution to all of your problems.

UPDATE TO EARLIER POST

AUTHOR: Angel - (U.S.A.)

Update to my earlier post:

I have been with Con-Way Truckload over 2 years now. I and my co-driver came aboard right at the swap over. Companies prefer to pay those with less experience than those with more experience. More experienced drivers get less miles, I have watched it happen the last 10 years. With the current economy, many companies are abusing their position. They are firing drivers at Con-Way for not reducing idle time. Problem with that scenario, they set you down at Laredo or Michigan for days at a time, they don't pay for idle-aire or a motel even though we were told in orientation that they would. They are just now getting trucks with APU's.

The older red trucks are T-900 KW with 60" sleeper. The new trucks are F/L Cascadia's with 72" sleepers and T600 KW that say studio sleepers, but if you measure, they are just 72" sleepers, and there are a few International ProStars.

They have a pet policy, but your required to pay a pet fee per pet of $300. But on top of that, they take $.01 per mile from your pay and hold it. If you make the 6.2mpg avg of the last 3 months, then you get it back on the third paycheck of month. We as a team don't have an APU, just a bunk heater. We have received our money back until November. Our idle was very low as we were on a dedicated from KC to SLC for the past 10 months and spent approx $500 per month for motels on the weekend. They said the only reason they could figure out why we did not get our money back (approx $100-120 a month per person) was that we were fueling too much! Even though Con-Way directs all their drivers to never let the tanks get less than 1/2 full in the winter and because of a 54mph transit time you only have time to fuel when you swap over. They told us that we needed to drop our speed to 55-60mph. We usually only get there with 30 min to spare. Going 55-60 mph, we would be late for every 52-54mph load. We had a fuel leak in Oct. and had to idle the truck for 64 hours in Nov. while shut down in Wyoming when the temperature was below 10 to prevent gelling as well in that time frame. They were supposed to make adjustments to our mpg, but clearly someone did not I tried to discuss the situation with them, as the route is shut down many times for winds and winter weather as well as mountains. No dice We just got out of the dedicated run due to this disagreement.

Other things you want to consider before going to Con-Way Truckload:

Positives:

Accurate and reliable pay

Usually get home on day requested

Equipment is well maintained, they usually do what we ask within reason, although we had to fight to get our drive tires changed at 4/32 on this dedicated route. Although the reticence may have been related to wanting us to get it done in Joplin, but we never went thru Joplin.

First in, first out dispatch. Decent team runs. You can call phone number and get information on your pay and board status.

They dont nit pick your logs as long as your mathematically legal. But they have recently begun to match qc to the logs by location in a general sort of way, not in nit-pick sort of way.

They have been extremely honest and expect honesty in return. They have sometimes been arrogant and condescending, they are also very polite and listen, depends on who you get I imagine.

Under the current economic downturn, solos are getting somewhere around 1500-2000 miles a week, teams are averaging 3500 including hometime. If you dont include hometime you avg around 4500 miles a week, that avg appears to be rising right now as the economy is beginning to slowly edge up, but mostly due to CWTL picking up freight lanes of companies that have gone bottom up.

You get paid once a week, which reduces your taxes.

They pay practical miles, which is usually nearly right on the money.

They pay tolls except the one in Ontario, Canada.

Paid Holidays of $60 per person, you get a safety bonus as well NE and Canada crossing pay. Canada crossing pay only applies though if your loaded.

No per diem pay! Yeah!

Negatives

They are beginning to aggressively foster a corporate attitude. I was frustrated after waffling policies concerning fuel additives and how you get reimbursed for buying them. I told the payroll lady in a normal tone of voice, I guess I will just let the GD truck freeze from now on, sheesh! My dispatcher was thinking of writing me up because she said I yelled at her! My co-driver because he was discussing the mpg problem as indicated above said that he had two complaints logged against him because two people decided he was yelling. OMG! Capital letters are the most I ever yell. We never yelled?

Layover- You have to sit 48 hours now before they will pay you a layover. Then it is only from the 3rd day on. That same rule applies to breakdowns as well. You get to sit for 2 days for free! * if you get dispatched during the layover time and it is less than 100 miles, you still get the layover though. So if you sit for 3 days whether due to no loads or breakdown, you will only earn $60 per person. But if you sit for 2.80 hrs, you wont get a layover at all.

As a team, they dispatch all runs at 45 mph unless they are Con-Way Freight loads or time sensitive loads. They are usually dispatched at 51mph, but as high as 56 mph, but the trucks only run 65.

Since Con-Way took over, they have reduced the no tolerance speed to 80, not that you really need to be going that fast, and the trucks are governed at 65.

Pet fee is $300 per pet and non-refundable. Plus they take out .01/mile and you get back if you make the 6.2 mpg as explained above.

They not only road test you, but require you to play ring around the obstacle course. Ridiculous waste of time and drivers! My friend with 7 yrs experience wanted to come back to CFI, they flunked her on the obstacle course, but she was 410 and was not able to set the mirrors before testing. She could not see anything out of the crappy T2000 KW. I hated that part, I am usually very good at courses, but I had not driven in 2.5 years when I took it, plus I had never driven a KW. I could not see anything! Your not allow to stop and get out and look either and the fish eyes on the front fenders are the bowls instead of the convex mirrors.

If you are at another Con-Way Freight Terminal or home and the truck wont start, breakdown will charge the road service call to jump the truck back to you.

This may have changed since we hired on, but the insurance did not go into effect until you had been at the company a calendar year. So if you hired on in January or February, you did not get the full insurance package for almost 2 years. They had at the time, 2 yrs ago, for the entry drivers until they were eligible for the full package some insurance that paid for emergency visits and doctor visits, but had a $10,000 cap. That may have changed since then though, so be sure to ask.

Those are a few pros and cons to help you decide whether you want to join CWTL or not. Every company has bull sh**, it is up to you to decide what pile you want to step into.

Disclaimer as required by Con-Way for any post about Con-Way: The postings on this site are my own, are not authorized by Con-way, and dont necessarily represent

Con-ways positions.

Happy CTL driver

AUTHOR: Darkwolf - (U.S.A.)

OK, I drive for Conway Truckload and have a few problems with what is being said.

First my qualifications as a driver. I am a third generation trucker I was trained by my Grandfather and my Father was also trained at a driving school. I have driven OTR for 7 years and instate for 5. I started driving instate at 18. Moved to OTR at 23 I am now 30. I have driven logging trucks, dump trucks, Trash and Mulch Haulers w/ walking floor trailers, Fuel Tankers, Refrigerated, Side Dump Rock Haulers, End Dumps, and now pull dry vans. I have driven semi's places were these rookies nowadays couldn't walk and pack a set of keys. Not a slam on rookies, I was one at one time it just irritates me what these big companies call training. I was trained on a log truck hauling out of a swamp in Florida. I made plenty of goofs, had to be pulled out of the mud countless times, oh yeah and was driving a 88 freightliner cabover with no A/C in Florida, but hey I was the rookie I paid my dues I drove the piece of junk truck thru hades and came out a better driver for it, anybody up to try this?

1. Fuel Economy: I drive one of those so called crappy KW's with a fuel thirsty Cat. NOT, I have a YTD average of 6.8 MPG if you drive them correctly they will respond with higher fuel mileage. A real driver adjusts to the truck, you have to drive a truck the way it wants to be driven.

2. Driver Comfort: I idle my truck at any temp above 73 or below 15. I only idle below 15 due to fuel gelling. My truck is equipped with bunk heater. However I maintain my MPG in summer as well, even without an APU. If I had an APU I could probably break 7 MPG. I also idle my truck when I play my PS3 due to high power draw of PS3. So if you adjust to your truck, you can achieve good fuel mileage and idle

3. Firing and Dispatch: Simple follow there rules you will do good. They are forced dispatch, so if you have been sitting for 10 hrs. and not went to bed, I ask is that really dispatch's fault you didn't get your rest and stayed up b.s.ing. Oh and if a driver was forced to take a load that means that driver was on the load board why were they on the board and not ready to run? Foolishness on the driver's fault. I have rejected loads because I was out of hrs and had no consequences from it.

4. Being sent home: If when you're fired or quit if you are rude or aggressive you will not be given a way home. Did Mrs. Knott's husband possibly throw a fit?

5. Truck Maintenance: One word, Exceptional. Any non-cosmetic repair I have asked for has been performed with no fuss. Cosmetic repairs have to be performed in Joplin, which I understand there is no point sending a truck to a body shop on the road when Jop has a excellent Body Shop.

Perspective is everything -- a view from a

AUTHOR: Blueroad - (U.S.A.)

First off my heart goes out to anyone laid off during these uncertain economic times. Second, I would like to make full disclosure up-front that I was hired by CFI (former name of Conway) 10 years ago last April.

My personal experience with this company has been very good. CFI, and so far continued with Conway, has always met and exceeded my basic criteria for a great company to work for. First, they have been honest (always!) and above board, something they emphasize and expect from all drivers and employees (low tolerance for dishonesty!). Second they're a well run organization providing good to excellent support for drivers in doing their job. Third, they provided a clear job description and expectations that are reasonable and relatively easy to acheive (i.e., pick-up and deliver on time and, of course, safely; legal and otherwise reasonable dispatches and weights). In general they are very fair and evenhanded (no favorites!) in assigning dispatches -- it's an objective process based on objective set of parameters and criteria (place in que meets hours available etc.). I have always been treated with respect (very important). My pay has been reliable, accurate and decent -- I've never had an error or dispute with payroll. I have had great fleet managers who appreciate what I do (perhaps I've been lucky?).

The following are common pitfalls that new drivers sometimes fall into:

First, fear of the unknown feeding anxieties gained from past experiences. I have certain amount of empathy for this one. My observation is that companys that truly respect their drivers are few and far between .... the trend becoming rarer as industry giants see and deal with drivers more as commodities than valued professionals and human beings. Most veteran drivers have either witnessed or experienced a bad or abusive situation. A new driver is understandibly wary and suspicious. Unfortunately, from a place of anxiety, I've seen more than a few new drivers make false associations/attributions or generalizations based on very limited experience and viewpoint. For example misattributing a freight down-cycle (and we are definitely in one) as something that it is not -- i.e., an indication of normal conditions, result of poor planner or dispatch decision making or something to take personally (unfair freight assignment, predjudice or retribution for whatever). Once the anxiety and mistrust is activated things can rapidly deteriorate. Over-all, much of the frustration I've seen has had to do with anxiety or emotion contraction of viewpoint or a general inability of the driver to fully grasp the big picture -- the economy, the company's place in the freight market, how the company system/management/operations works, generally an opague understanding what is going on beyond their immediate experience.

CFI / Conway has never tolerated verbal abuse from drivers though, in my opinion more often than not, allows the driver generous lattitude .... as long as profanity and personal insults are absent. The drivers who get the "quick-boot" in the manner described above often, though not always, fall into this category. This portion of the story doesn't always get conveyed in the initial narrative of "what happened" though find that it often emerges when a bit more context is shared. The rule is that everyone treats everyone with respect and in a professional manner.

Some other ways to get a quick boot is on blatant violation of certain basic rules and expectations made clear during orientation -- as mentioned above, the rules and parameters are quite reasonable and easy to meet. Unless serious (i.e., theft) or aggregious (blatant disregard for rules, parameters, job description in general), the driver is often given warning.

It's really pretty simple. The expectations are spelled out pretty clearly in orientation, by staying the driver implicitly agrees to the terms. Baseline agreement is that Conway lives up to their end, driver recipricates by performing their job to expectation. It basically boils down to this: driver picks-up and delivers on time safely, represents him/herself in a respectful professional manner, achieves a reasonable fuel mileage, gets bills in a timely manner, keeps decent logs, maintains at least some semblance of productivity, maintains equipment. It's all quite in the parameters of what most seasoned professional drivers consider a given.

None-the-less, sometimes there are legitimate misunderstandings, the company is not perfect nor are the people working there -- some of the rules and parameters are a tad screwy (not many), people have bad days and are grumpy (not often). None-the-less, I have always been able to gain understanding and resolution to any issue through rational professional dialog, something I value highly.

One other comment. Since being bought by Conway the changes, from my perspective, are relatively minor considering the overall rate of change I've witnessed over 10 years. The recession hit shortly after the purchase, beyond obvious changes (benefit packages, truck makes and colors etc.) it's difficult to say whether the CFI is any different, better or worse. My personal belief at this juncture is that we're stronger and more stable for it in light of the tremendous hit the industry is experiencing.

BlueRoads

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

think you were scammed

AUTHOR: George - (U.S.A.)

I was sent packing after 2 parking accident in a month, and i wasnt surprised.. This was in aug 08. they shipped my stuff home and gave me and my son a bus ticket. I think the driver on crutches may have been a vagrant scamming you for cash. Ive seen the ones with the empty gas cans and even a dead cell phone to make it look like they were calling a wrecker. I just cant imagine even ctl send an injured person home on his own nickel

#9 UPDATE EX-employee responds

They do put people to the street

AUTHOR: Kgf - (U.S.A.)

Last spring my partner and I went to Joplin to start our new career. On Friday we were sitting outside the big house when a cab drops off a injured driver, with cane this driver could barely get around, had no money, was hungry,thirsty and was over 300 miles from home.

Did Conway take care of this driver? No they did not they put the driver's box and walker on the curb right there said to bad find your on way.

We let the driver use our phone to call family and gave some money. This was a disabled Driver hurt on the job, left stranded in Joplin MO on their doorstep ! The lady from the Work Comp Dept was very rude to this driver. There were several of us newbies sitting at the table that witnessed this. So to say they make sure drivers are taken care of is a laugh

Miles or no miles we quit shortly after this as this is not the type of company we want to be with. We never learned what happened to that driver my prayers are still with this driver.

yeah,,but you aint going to believe this

AUTHOR: Marty51 - (U.S.A.)

I have to say after reading all these responses to CFi/Conway I find myself looking back over my 8 years here and almost 1 million miles.I have never been a big fan of CFI or its practices,but i made a very good living until the merger,last year my mileage dropped by almost 13,000 miles compared to my 5 year average,I didnt take any more time off than previous years and i sat on the road not generating(or in this case loosing 13,000 miles,the equivilent to a month of good running)I brought this up to my fleet mgr,group mgr,head of all fleets,and operations mgr.I found out later thru a third party that i was "hard to manage",I was put on a fleet in my opinion to "starve me out".I have always as a practice never complained as to where i was going(thats part of the job) but when my miles stagnated i was vocal,and for that i was told by my fleet mgr "that every one here CRINGES at the thought of talking to me",Listen i have never been late,or refused 1 load assignment and have taken more than my fair share of crappy loads and have did them with the utmost of respect for the customers.On a side note I was doing a Conway relay into Jacksonville 1 week after the merger was announced,a few drivers and me were talking and and one made a profound statement to me,You truckloads driver will find that Conway will make it to where all of you are making the same money and less money for the same time you are out,after the first of the year i started to take an informal poll and found most if not all drivers were now pulling 10,000 miles a month,down from their normal 12-13,000 avg

#11 UPDATE EX-employee responds

More TRUE facts how things are at Swiftway truckload

AUTHOR: George - (U.S.A.)

I started a couple of days before they announced the buyout by Conway Truckload. CFI was bought to run the truckload division of conway as they had not managed to run it profitably to that point. They stated that little would change but that was a lie. Little by little Conway has intervened in the day to day running of CFI's business. It has gone from a respected trucking company that ONLY hired seasoned drivers and showed them respect to a firm that hires and trains student drivers to keep warm butts in the seats. I talked to students before I left so that is not hearsay.

Another issue is with fuel mileage. Before the fuel prices hit the roof the fuel hogging cat motors in the too heavy kw's were no problem. I was told to come in on a "final notice" about my fuel consumption. Since I had NO earlier notice of this I wondered why it was "final". After a training lesson in shifting those crappy kw's I took it to heart and did my best but to no avail. Now they are trying some pie in the sky crap that is added to the fuel to help out but I hear it is not. I am now working elsewhere since we came to an impasse and quit. There were other minor issues as they will tell you "not to worry about that" but WORRY do WORRY! They save these things up and pile on when there is a major issue like fuel. It is a big game at Chris's desk (head of the "safety" department). Strange, I still drive the same old way I did at Swiftway Truckload and am getting over a 1.2 mpg better! Maybe due to a better engine and truck.

Now about safety. They claim that you are to be safe on the road but this was one of the problems I had. While at the yard I needed to get repowered as the repairs took too long and I was quite tired. (up almost 24 hours straight) but they did not like that too much. This is what got things started. Another driver that is no longer there and a friend of mine was threatened with termination if he did not take the next load. He was over on his 70 hours and explained that to them. They refused to hear so he picked up the load and went to the nearest scale house and asked the trooper there for assistance. He was told to go aound back and put in a 10 hr break while the trooper wrote Swiftway truckload a $2000.00 ticket. My friend quit and went elsewhere after they tried to make him at least pay for part of the citation.

So listen to the company SHILLS here if you want but you are better off seeing the lack of respect Swiftway Truckload is getting out here now. It has joined Swift, Schneider, Knight, JB Hunt, etc as trucking's bottem feeders.

By the way, for those that get their computer info downloaded, they are usually looking at the top speed. If it is 80 they will indeed try to fire you. BUT if you look in the paperwork that they give you in your employee manual you will find that you MUST BE either CITED or WARNED first. If you have no ticket or warning ticket then they CANNOT fire you over this. They will though drop you to 75 as the max and tell you if you hit that you are fired. They will put you on a 90 day plan and download your computer info and interview you again. This is the push you out/make you quit phase.

I am looking forward to seeing what this msg will generate in the way of comments.

Conway/CFI Fuel avg

AUTHOR: Bornaboon - (U.S.A.)

I currently work for Conway Truckload have been with them years now, But I am looking for a better place to grab a wheel at this very moment. I have a few complaints about this company,

1, The fact this company wanted my money so I could have my dog on my truck was fine by me, I paid non refundable deposit to keep my dog, This should have covered what extra fuel I burned but the no idle is so bad now that I can not get a raise or fuel bonus as they say and I feel they expect me to sleep with my windows open at night! I am a solo woman driver and face it, It is not safe day or night! man or woman!

2. I came to this company when the trucks went 71 mph. When they turned my truck down to 65 they did not turn my trips down, I heard from dispatch that they should not have to based that they go by the 45 mph avd but when your in Chicago in rush hour be real! In 3 yrs I have had my first lates from my truck being so slow now I have 2 in the past year none from the previous 2!

3. I have seen them put drivers in Joplin right to the curb with no chance of getting home! The driver who stays on the road has a lot of items in the truck, C.B. microwave,fridge,tv,blankes,pillows,maps,dvd player ect..you can not take that home by grayhound and yes many have pets! They took a deposit they know they have the pet why bring them to Joplin to fire them? I have talked to some of these drivers and some were let go simply due to they had jerks for dispatchers! and some I know this for a fact due to I had the same jerk! This one man I actaully helped him rent a car to get home so he didnt have to leave his belongings behind!

4. Dispatchers! OMG some of this guys have never been behind a wheel but they can tell you everything you need to know! LOL My dispatcher at this monet knows more than I do and hes been here less than a year, Never drove a big truck and has no reguard for the fact I have 10 years under my belt! I was one time told I could not stop to use the bathroom because I was running behind! I had a split load and it loaded late! I had one dispatcher try his best not to let me get him from over me! He and I did not get along what so ever and he was out to make my job harder on me not easier! I had a hard time doing it but he was history from me but he did his best to make my life bad and he did a good job I almost walked 2 years ago!

5. I have seen a lot of changes some good some bad but I have never really seen a change for the driver to benefit or for the driver to profit only the company! We are just slabs of meat behind a wheel! I have been to countless safety meetings one is really funny, Had all these million milers and such, They talked a big talk about safty yet when I tried to get new tires for my truck because I had some that were damages due to weather I was told the damage was not sever enough! These tires looked horrid! I didn't trust them but could not get new ones put on! But they just told me in that meeting they want me to be safe! What a joke!

Well in closing, In my years with CFI/Conway I have seen happy drivers, I have seen sad drivers. I have seen drivers who hug their dispatcher and some who want to hang the dispatcher! I have seen hurt drivers and I have seen drivers hurt their trucks! I have seen the ones fired and left in Joplin and the ones who were given a ticket to get home! I have even seen the butt kissers who feel no other company will do them better! But I am seeing my way out the door soon to this company due to its lack of respect and lack of worry about my safety! If your looking for a job I feel you need to stay away from this company!

#13 Consumer Suggestion

Being fired fron Conway Truckload

AUTHOR: Ladyoutlaw - (U.S.A.)

If you don't want to get fired from your tucking job...Abide by the rules...WOW!!!! It's not that hard....READ THE RULES & ABIDE BY THEM...Company's have to cover their Butt 2! Don't make it harder for them! Very easy...1,2,3, Paycheck! Good Luck with your next job! P.S. Family needs your paychecK! Do it right & Do it SAFE! Sunny side UP!!!!!!

#14 UPDATE EX-employee responds

the real facts about conway truckload

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

i am a former employee so lets just get down to it.
1) yes they do take decent care of their trucks however they do not like to replace supersingles until they absolutely have to.

2) pretty much most of management are arrogant and somewhat condensending with their drivers.

3) the overspeed speed limit is 80 mph and if they fire you for it they pretty much have a good reason. the supersingles are only rated for 80 mph

4) the company can get on here and talk a good game about it but the simple fact is that they have no concern over if you are making money or not. their attitude is you should take what they give ya and be happy with it cause they aint gonna really do all that much to help your miles and if you dare complain too much you will get even less miles.

5) i have heard from more than 1 good source that one of the tactics they use to deal with drivers they dont want to keep is to literally starve them out. sit em as much as possible till the driver has no choice but to quit or starve.

6) as far as the firing goes, oh yeah they are firing them left and right for anything and everything. and i know why too.....they got guys waiting in the hotel in joplin for a truck. they find a reason to fire or starve a guy out thats making 36 cents a mile and put a guy in that truck that is only getting 30 cents a mile. lets just say they do that for 1/3 of the current fleet for example. do i need to do the math for ya? a company man was preachin earlier about 40 bucks worth of fuel for idle time during a 10 hr break. i wonder if he is interested in preachin a good line about how the company is loyal to their drivers and would never do that.

7) ok since we are on the subject let talk idling...pet owners basically pay 1 penny a mile to have their pet on the truck (they didnt get the raise everyone else did cause they have a pet on board) youll get your penny if ya make a certain fuel mpg but i tried and my best and could never get that penny. if they sit ya long enough you HAVE to idle at times to keep the batteries charged enough to ensure the truck will start. parking is another factor. alot or i should say most the time you are forced to take out of route miles to find a place to sit till the next load comes in. and then of course with parking being very tight in some places you are forced to idle to keep lights on to avoid someone from hitting the truck. or you will arrive where you are supposed to be according to when they tell you to be there only to find you cant unload at that time and are forced to take out of route to go find a place to wait. and then of course sometimes you have to idle to keep lights on so the truck dont get hit cause in their wisdom they dont give much consideration to the fact the driver has to park and break and when you unload at 11:30 at night the truckstops are full. the kicker to this all is the conway guy on here (who i am sure is paid to respond) claims well the idle laws in the state blah blah blah. well truckers are smart for the most part thats why trucks idle anyway and alot of cops dont do much about it unless they have to cause i am sure they prolly realize we are treated like animals and feel sorry for us.

8) i dont know if it is widespread but i do know of at least one occasion where they pretty much dumped a driver off on the side of the road and said have a nice day. i doubt however that it is common practice in joplin. i do know however that if yur late on a load and close enough to joplin for them to deadhead ya there thats your next stop so they can rip you a new one for being late.

9) the new dispatch miles. i know the ceo said they revamped it and it ended up slightly to the drivers advantage. nothing personal but i doubt that a company now ran by bean counters is gonna say hey man its ok to give away free money to the drivers on this. theres one maybe the conway man might be able to argue

10) back to fuel....lol.......if you charge a fuel surcharge and beat the driver to freeze and swelter its means one thing to the company........more profit more profit more profit. lets be real here, at the end of the day you could actually care less about the comfort of the driver. you talk a good game but really thats all it is.

11) driver comfort......oh yeah like you said the company will install inverters so we can microwaves and stuff and thats great. and we got xm radio for free. hate to break the news to ya but how many times can i run my microwave so i can have a hot meal when u got me sitting for days waiting to deliver or to be assigned a load before i have to idle to keep the batteries up. microwaves do draw power yanno ;)

12) i could go on and on but ill end my rebuttal at this for now......although few, conway truckload does have a few good points. but as of this post they are far outweighed by the bad. until management in joplin running ops is changed its not a company you wanna drive for if ya wanna make money. the recruiters will tell ya oh yeah man youll do good here but the sad reality is you aint gonna make the miles they lead ya to believe. i dont think the very top is aware of how wastleful the people running things are. when they need money they pound it out of the drivers. when you go to joplin for orientation the people at the hotel watch you and report back to conway. yep your watched off duty as well. and they record their phone calls with you and will use that recording on you in a newyork minute. your best bet is only talk on quallcom aviod the phone at all costs.

13) last but not least the trucks......they kw's are decent but the volvos aint so hot and the cascadias are junk. if you talk to people in the shop or most people who drive the cascadias they will confirm this. mr ceo either you are kept in the dark on this face or you are just flat out lying when you ADDRESS THE DRIVERS AND SAY THE NEW TRUCKS ARE WORKIN OUT GREAT! you might wanna check into that. i should also add at this time that because these are only my opinions legally i cannot be held liable as by law i am entitled to state them and have not slandered, damaged, or harmed the company in any way both actual or implied. and until next time...........keep on truckin safely!

You KNEW!!!

AUTHOR: Current Employee - (U.S.A.)

EVERYONE is told if you are downloaded and it says you were SPEEDING IN EXCESS of 75 miles per hour you will BE FIRED!!!! hello watch your SPEED it isnt safe! the computers on the truck dont LIE....I notice that it wasnt stated in the report how fast the driver was going.....wonder WHY???? I have been downloaded more then once and have passed with in the guide lines that were stated to me at the time of my hiring.....THAT is why I still have a JOB! this is not CONWAY / CFI company ripoff it is a driver that didnt watch his SPEED!!!!

#16 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I never had a problem with CFI

AUTHOR: Tuffy - (U.S.A.)

I was an employee of CFI for three years and never had a problem getting anything fixed on my truck. I never had a problem getting home when I needed to be home. I would go back to work for them at any time.

I work for Con-Way and have a few points to make...

AUTHOR: Angel - (U.S.A.)

First of all, both my boyfriend and I hired on at CFI/CTL right when the merger occurred back in 09/07. We had put our app in at CTL, after waiting for a call back, I called them. CTL said they had lost their jobs and that to be hired on that we needed to contact CFI and hire on under them as they were handling the Con-Way Truckload Division now.

We went thru quite a rigorous hiring procedure. My boyfriend had not driven in 1.5 yrs, I had been in operations (office) for another trucking company for 2.5 yrs. Both of us had 6+ yrs of driving experience. We had to do a driving course and a road test and 3 of the individuals did not pass the driving course and were sent home. These were experienced drivers, not newbies.

I did see quite a few trucks sitting when the merger occurred, but not hundreds. Anytime one company takes over another company, changes occurr. Truck drivers are known for not accepting change very well. That is why they drive truck, they control their own office. Many of those drivers did not like the change and many did not like the fact that they were not hauling Con-way only freight. As a result, you had a huge exodus of drivers. Let me point out, that there a number of those drivers that have actually returned, I have spoken with them. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

If the lady's husband was called into the office with a readout from the truck, he may have exceeded the 85 mph rule. The trucks are governed out at 65, but a good hill and lots of weight and you can go faster. But you are told in orientation, that anything over 85 mph and it is an automatic termination.

Things slowed down when the merger officially took place, while operations was working on getting the new freight lanes added to the current ones. There were and still are many relays/repowers especially of the time sensitive freight, but ops has become better at managing your time. I know for teams, you don't even have time to stop and poop! Miles are still down a bit for solos from what I hear, but miles are down for every company as the economy can attest to. My boyfriend and I would rather solo, but it is much more lucrative and easier to market ourselves as a team.

As for the idling issue. Even as a team, we must idle sometimes. If Con-Way was so interested in fuel economy, then why have they not installed the APU's? The 2007 and up APU models can be idled in California as long as they meet the new 2007 emission regulations. Con-Way does not reimburse for Idle-Aire nor for motels. And I agree Idle-Aire is not convienent nor practical as most idling is not done at a truck stop. Con-Way actually penalized us for having a pet on board. Everyone got a penny a mile raise across the board, except for those that have pets. You have to maintain 6.2mpg each month, then they will give you back that penny raise. Interesting thing though, you go into a terminal and the solo and team trucks that don't have pets are just idling away and not getting penalized at all. So they do have ways of trying to discourage drivers to either quit or change their ways.

I will tell you, that a good portion of the employees that work in the office have once been drivers. Working in ops is very, very stressful. Imagine working every single day in Jamaica,NY or Hunts Point. It is kind of like that. And some of them actually do care. Most companies are the same and one must decide on what bull you can put up with, and what you can't.

#18 UPDATE EX-employee responds

cfiandhappy said they trade trucks in by 500,000

AUTHOR: Cajun - (U.S.A.)

i work there last year i had a truck with 576,000 miles and there was more of out there so you might want to go back an find out how many there is. conway is a team company not a solo thats why they are giving loads that got to be repower to other companys. i know because i work another company we haul for conway

#19 UPDATE EX-employee responds

fact and fiction

AUTHOR: Objective1 - (U.S.A.)

FACT. CFi never did care about safety my 4/32 supersingle drives were proof when the MO. D.O.T put me out of service
FACT. NOT all trucks run the same and get the same mileage m/t or loaded 5.9 was minimum sorry 22 tons is not the same as 11 tons up the same hill. put 10 25LB. bricks in a cart and push it up the hill in 95 deg 65% humidity and dont break a sweat and no water !!
FACT. the new guy dont know the system like the seasoned driver so out witrh the old in with the new dummy.
FACT. when a major carrier starts to worry about fuel costs (tax deductible and surcharged anyway)there is more wrong than you know. why cant the ceo and execs. take a cut heck cut the dispatch bonuses and see who stays to work after that!!! b(do i hear a cricket at that keyboard)???
FACT. over 80% of the office dont know how to turn on the wipers anyway..
FACT. tired drivers are like drunk drivers whats more important multi million dollar lawsuit for killing somebody or just eating the 40 bucks for diesel (ever heard of idle air1.65 per hour)
FICTION. drivers are happiest in a miserable place like CFI
FICTION. it looks good on paper therefor it is good.
sorry there folks the facts outweigh the fiction as long as the schools keep cranking out just SO SO drivers we are all at risk large companies like swift and CFI are not helping. so here is my suggestion QUIT afterall whats $800.00 for getting a new guy into your truck. im collecting welfare and being a burden to the new guy KEEP WORKING I NEED MY CHECK NOW!!!

AUTHOR: Cfiandhappy - (U.S.A.)

My position in the company isn't up for discussion. I've worked for the company for about 5 years and worked in 3 different departments during that time. I know the ins-and-outs of the trucking business and work with drivers on a daily basis.

I'm not a driver, never pretended to be. I am however from a family of OTR drivers, both sides, and more than one generation. I've ridden in a truck many, many miles in my lifetime, including back in the day when they didn't come equipped with AC. Or radios. Or more than a coffin sleeper. Today's drivers have no idea how tough the job can really be.

Trucks today have walk in studio sleepers with double bunks, AC, air ride, AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereos that have free XM satellite radio, power jacks to plug in appliances, and bunk heaters. Our shop installs FREE an inverter that the driver provides. That means that many trucks have a tv, dvd, fridge, microwave, and game system in them. Wow... tough life. Granted, trucking isn't for everyone, it takes a certain type of person.

Obviously you're not familiar with the trucking industry or you'd know that the company is in it to make MONEY. It's a competitive business, and the cost of fuel, truck upkeep, insurance, driver pay, and a thousand other things are factored into what we charge a customer per load. If a driver is getting less than a certain mpg, the company is not making money or even worse -- losing money. As a friend of mine here at work likes to say "we're not a charity business".

You're also obviously not familiar with CFI/Con-way Truckload. Our trucks are not pieces of junk. They are relatively new KWs -- with a few 2008 Freightliners and Volvos that Con-way Truckload owned before the companies merged. Our trucks are traded before they hit 500,000 miles -- far from the mileage many companies run their trucks to. Our trucks are strictly maintained and kept in good condition. Why? Because if they're in the shop or broke down, the company isn't making money.

A driver is responsible for maintaining good fuel mileage over a set period. One bad load -- in the mountains as you said -- can kill the mpg. HOWEVER, what the fuel department looks at is a driver's mpg over a set period of time. We're looking for the average mpg, not a daily or a single load mpg. The majority of our drivers have no problem maintaining a good fuel mpg.

You must have missed where I said that the drivers are told not to idle unless it's "necessary". Obviously, if it's 100 degrees, we don't want them getting heat stroke. And if they're unable to sleep due to the heat, then they're not getting the rest they need to drive and will likely have an accident. We are a safety conscious company, if a driver says they can't drive due to lack of hours/need to sleep/weather conditions -- we tell them to shut down. I know you're saying "yeah whatever" but in pure dollars and cents, accidents cost more money than a late delivery does.

Oh.... most states don't allow more than a 5 minute idle anymore, did you know that? And many, such as CA, don't let trucks run the diesel powered APUs. And not all truck stops have IdleAire, or have limited parking so it's not always an option.

It's interesting that you say you ask for a written copy of the idling policy at the time of an interview, since the majority of interviews these days are done by phone. Our company and most of the big trucking companies hire drivers from all over the country. How inconvenient it would be to drive from FL to Joplin, MO for an interview. Especially since your attitude would keep you from being hired.

It's obvious to me that you're not an OTR driver and have no clue what the job entails. What you are is a troll who goes onto boards like these and stirs up crap.

BTW, my home doesn't have AC, so I know exactly what it's like to sit in front of a fan and wish it were cooler.

#21 Consumer Suggestion

Well you know what they say

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

"You've got to stand for something or you'll stand for anything"

Steve, If you haven't already you may want to document who your source heard that from. You can probably try to get that person (who said it) fired unless it's Javier or Jenny (then you can see about making sure they are properly reprimanded but I don't think it would do any good with these two from what you've said). It's an HR and management no-no to discuss such things with folks who don't have a need to know about it. Disclosure of such things borders on slander.

Once again, some enlightenment for Steven-Jacksonville

Steven,

The ONLY thing going on behind the scenes is the corruption in the Tropicana HR office. They are trying to cover their tracks, and they cannot do that if I have the ability to still talk to people. They are trying to hush up this whole thing in hopes that it will go away.

Just the fact that the statement that I was "banned for life" from working at Tropicana came down through the ranks and got to me proves that they have total disregard for the UNION CONTRACT and the LAW!

You see, the grievance process is still in the works, so them making that statement just proves my statement that they refuse to be held accountable by anyone! They feel they are "above the law". This just proves their arrogance and incompetence.

If the arbitrator rules in my favor and issues a "make whole" order, that means full back pay, benefits, AND re-instatement! They do not have a choice at this point.

BTW...Their WHOLE defense rests on these rip off reports! They have NOTHING ELSE!! They pay these pinheads to monitor these reports everyday! A company that was doing things right would not even care about these reports. They would be insignificant.

keep in mind that my job at tropicana was a GOOD JOB, with GOOD PAY, and GOOD benefits. I liked my job, and everyone I worked with. Of course I would want my GOOD job back! Good jobs are very hard to find here in this area.

Pepsico fires HR people like I change socks. Therefore, I most likely will not have to deal with this bunch much longer anyway, especially if I win at arbitration.

FYI...I will stay on this until I win. I will get satisfaction. The problems will be corrected. I don't care if it takes 10 years.

It is just principle at this point.

Go back to your cubicle now at QTG.

Submitted: 5/25/2008 4:23:53 PM
Modified: 5/25/2008 5:36:08 PM Steven

Well Steve good luck
I will check back on your reports in August.

Thanks for straightening out your issue Steve. Since your issue is only with HR then why are you 'banned for life' from Tropicana??? There is obviously more going on behind the scenes. You may want to check and see if anyone is giving them information that you mean to do harm to company property or something along those lines.

The thing I don't understand is why you would want to go back to an employer that is adamant about you not working there??? Seems like they already tried to allow you back once only to find a reason to fire you again. Are the folks in HR that you have a problem with still there???? I would think you would be better off finding employment elsewhere and just making sure that they do not provide any negative information when verifying employment.

#23 Consumer Suggestion

I think the "employee" should clarify his/her position! Obviously NOT a driver!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

This post by the alleged employee is suspect at best, and CLEARLY reeks of being an office tool! NOT a driver!

First of all there can be many reasons for poor fuel mileage! Firing a driver for getting poor fuel mileage is RIDICULOUS!!

1. The truck could be a piece of JUNK! It may need mechanical repairs, as most large company fleet trucks do!

2. The assigned loads could be in a mountainous area, etc. This would KILL fuel mileage.

3. NO IDLE?? That is RIDICULOUS!! I have a suggestion for you. Go home, flip OFF the main breaker to your house and sit there in the dark and with no heat or a/c. Do that every night for a week, AND all weekend long, and then come back and spout your jibberish.

Any company that does not allow idling, or provide an idling alternative such as an APU, or company paid "IDLE AIR", etc..SHOULD BE AVOIDED!! Run FAST!!

I ask to see the written idling policy at time of interview. If they have a no idle policy I get up and walk out.

When a driver is OTR, and LIVING in his/her truck, that driver MUST be comfortable after a hard days work! And comfort is essential to get proper sleep too! It is a safety and health issue!!!

To an OTR driver, that truck is HOME!! Do you go home and sit there with no power or heat/air conditioning? I don't think so!

GET A LIFE, AND A REAL JOB!!

Typical office puke.

AUTHOR: Cfiandhappy - (U.S.A.)

I work for Con-way Truckload and I know for a fact that drivers are not brought to Joplin, fired, and then left to find their own way home. We provide bus tickets and in some cases rental cars. Also, we have other terminals and drop lots where trucks can be turned in.

Like any company, we review employee job performance and let go those employees who aren't meeting the expected goals. For drivers, there's more than just driving down the road. The industry turn over rate is over 120% and Con-way is consistantly below that number every month. We have drivers who have been with us for over 20 years.

Right now, with the cost of fuel, Con-way is looking hard at drivers who have poor fuel mileage. Drivers are warned, more than once, that if they don't bring their fuel mileage up to a certain level, they will be fired.

If the mpg is below a certain point, the driver is actually costing the company money on their runs. Obviously, we're in business to make money, not lose it. We work with our drivers to help them get the fuel mileage under control. Ways to drive more fuel efficiently, and to not idle the truck unless it's necessary. A truck burns a gallon of fuel an hour when it idles. If a driver idles during their entire 10 hour break, that's 10 gallons at over $4 a gallon, so at least $40 was wasted. Take that times 3,000 trucks and you'll see why it's so important.

There's also a question of has this driver had accidents, tickets, service failures (being late for pickups/deliveries)? And the order to come in and have his computer downloaded is pretty common. If the company wanted to fire him, they wouldn't have waited a month to do it. We can route a truck to Joplin fairly quickly by relaying the load to another driver nearby.

Anytime a driver is fired, as far as they're concerned it's never their fault. But most of the time -- almost all of the time -- it is.

#27 Consumer Suggestion

Well Steve good luck

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

I will check back on your reports in August.

Thanks for straightening out your issue Steve. Since your issue is only with HR then why are you "banned for life" from Tropicana??? There is obviously more going on behind the scenes. You may want to check and see if anyone is giving them information that you mean to do harm to company property or something along those lines.

#28 Consumer Suggestion

Steven,

An employee applies for a position, even if the position is "posted". Or, in a union shop, the employee /union member would "bid" on the position. You stated that the EMPLOYEE would "repost for the job". Not the employer would post the job. Big difference.

And, you have no idea how a union works. The union cannot "lose" the contract at Tropicana as you stated. The ONLY way that contract can go away, is if the MEMBERSHIP votes to get rid of it which is called DECERTIFICATION OF THE UNION.

Even if the company is sold, or decertification occurs, it in no way affects the employees in terms of having to re-apply for their jobs. Thats simply not the way it works.

I made a "mountain out of a mole hill". You are obviously a moron if you really believe that! Tropicana blatantly violated the contract, as well as State and Federal laws. How does that equal a "molehill"??

A "clash with a supervisor". I never had a clash with any "supervisors". I got along well with all of my "supervisors. keep in mind that "supervisors" are different than MANAGERS. A "lead" person at Tropicana is a "supervisor".

My problems at Tropicana were with HR. That's it. AND, it had NOTHING at all to do with my "work ethic" as you stated. You still simply have no idea what you are talking about. You are an idiot.

My request for "reasonable accomodation" was so I could get to my appointments for medical care, NOT so I could "get more rest" as you stated. Once again, you need to learn how to read and comprehend before making idiotic statements.

Keep in mind that Tropicana likes 16 hour days back to back on forced overtime that allows for a maximum of 4 hours sleep. That was the root of the problem I had. 8 hours between punch out and punch in, leaves an opportunity for a maximum of 4 hours SLEEP. Considering travel time to and from work, personal hygiene time, eating, etc.

Now, compare that standard to accepted medical facts that say that an adult needs AT LEAST 6.8 hours sleep to remain healthy.

How can a person work a 12 or 16 hour shift on 4 hours sleep? Explain that one genius. That was my issue.

I simply asked for information the first time, and was taken off the job for 11 weeks! [illegally, and in violation of the union contract]. But that's a mountain out of a molehill, right?

The second year, I asked for accomodation to allow me 1 hour, twice per week for 11 weeks so I could get to my essential series of medical treatments. These appointments were sheduled BEFORE my normal shift, and the only thing affected was forced overtime. being scheduled in 4 hours early on short notice.

FYI..Tropican never even evaluated my request for "reasonable accomodation" under the ADA. They simply said "can't do it" and took me off the job once again illegally and in violation of the union contract, for 15 weeks this time.

But, if you knew how to read and comprehend, you would know this as I have already posted it in detail in several places on this site already.

Learn how to read and fully comprehend, before making statements.

And, for your information, I had no attendance issues. I never had even 1 unexused absense. Not 1. So, once again, you have no idea what you are talking about, so be quiet.

You really make me laugh Steve
As I said I didn't know if what I heard was a law or just urban legend. When I said repost I meant re-post.
Some companies call their jobs 'POSTINGS' so if you are looking at a online company job board they are called 'JOB POSTINGS' if you are re-applying for your job (either due to job description/duties change or if a company takes over another company and wants to chose who they want to keep or let go they have them re-post (or re-apply) for that position. This is a practice in tech companies as well as some others as well.
The equivalent would be the union losing the contract at Tropicana and having the people in your department either apply to the new company for a job (or they could stay with the union if they had jobs for them). Sorry not a union person so cut me some slack.

No doubt you have had a crash course in Labor Law since when you were 'let go' from Tropicana. Truthfully speaking I felt some empathy with you at one point in time but you made 'a mountain out of a mole hill' by your constant rants about what was a personality clash between you and a supervisor (maybe he had a different work ethic than you) and subsequently released.

You thought that because you were not physically capable of working the prescribed hours of a job for which you applied and then hired to do that working you at reduced hours was a 'reasonable accommodation' so that you could get more rest before/after doctor visits was not reasonable to Tropicana. What other accommodations did you discuss with them??

Other than that I could really care less what you think about any opinions I may offer. I have never claimed to be a trucking professional or labor law expert. Just putting in my two cents like you.

Different people have different standards Steve that was the problem between you and the supervisor that called you a 'dirt ball' or whatever. I have never worked for a company that made me take off for doctor or PT visits (I have disc issues as well). All they have ever asked is that I make sure that any problems I was working on are either resolved or referred to someone else and that I follow up later in the day or next day to make sure things went well. The only time I have heard of someone encountering the same issue as you were that they constantly called in sick or always had to leave early for something. This increased the work load on others. Maybe your taking off was causing others to have to put in more hours (if permitted by union) or productivity dropping.

#29 Consumer Suggestion

#30 Consumer Suggestion

#31 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Some companies call their jobs "POSTINGS" so if you are looking at a online company job board they are called "JOB POSTINGS" if you are re-applying for your job (either due to job description/duties change or if a company takes over another company and wants to chose who they want to keep or let go they have them re-post (or re-apply) for that position. This is a practice in tech companies as well as some others as well.

No doubt you have had a crash course in Labor Law since when you were "let go" from Tropicana. Truthfully speaking I felt some empathy with you at one point in time but you made "a mountain out of a mole hill" by your constant rants about what was a personality clash between you and a supervisor (maybe he had a different work ethic than you) and subsequently released.

You thought that because you were not physically capable of working the prescribed hours of a job for which you applied and then hired to do that working you at reduced hours was a "reasonable accommodation" so that you could get more rest before/after doctor visits was not reasonable to Tropicana. What other accommodations did you discuss with them??

Different people have different standards Steve that was the problem between you and the supervisor that called you a "dirt ball" or whatever. I have never worked for a company that made me take off for doctor or PT visits (I have disc issues as well). All they have ever asked is that I make sure that any problems I was working on are either resolved or referred to someone else and that I follow up later in the day or next day to make sure things went well. The only time I have heard of someone encountering the same issue as you were that they constantly called in sick or always had to leave early for something. This increased the work load on others. Maybe your taking off was causing others to have to put in more hours (if permitted by union) or productivity dropping.

Well no doubt you will rip me a new one but oh well. Have a nice day Steve.

More useless advice from Steven - Jacksonville!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

I guess Steven - Jacksonville is now a trucking expert and labor law expert!

Why post something and then say it may be urban legend or is what you heard.

You either have something useful to add or you don't, and you either know what you are talking about or you don't.

The OP is in Florida. Therefore, any reference to anything but FLORIDA law is a waste of everyones time and ROR resources.

Florida is BOTH a "right to work" state and an "at will employment" state.
The ONLY way Florida gets involved in how much someone makes is via the minimum wage law. That's it.

..."repost" for their jobs? Are you English? We don't use those terms here in the United States. Did you mean Re-apply?

Submitted: 4/26/2008 11:22:02 AM
Modified: 4/26/2008 2:25:51 PM Steven

Adding to what Anthony said
One company may pay more than the other. Sometimes a company will take a hit like this with no problem and continue to pay more. However, since people talk and measure self esteem or seniority by how much is made. Some people may resent this and either demand more pay or resent being paid less.

Supposedly some states have laws that say a person cannot be involuntarily paid less then what they were making (could be urban legend but this is what I heard).

The way around this is to have people repost for their jobs (if you refuse to repost it is taken as a resignation) also they have the 'employee at will' status that basically says you can be let go (or quit without notice) for any reason at any time.

Wish I never came to Con-way

AUTHOR: Merrill Lynn - (U.S.A.)

I've been here for 2 and 1/2 months. My miles are appx 1200 to 1600 per week. I called and asked to be switched to another board. I axplained that I needed more miles to live on and pay my bills. I was told "NO". On my last time at home, I cleaned out my truck, just in case I get fired. They simple say "Failure to follow company Policy", they don't have to tell you what it was. The working people at Con-way are unhappy and the working people at CFI are unhappy. This turns into "go kick the driver" because we have no recourse or protection. This was a very big mistake but I will have to try to hang in for at least 6 months. Don't want less that that on my resume. The Marriage is not going well. I was in our Taylor terminal over a weekend and 7 long time drivers were internet shopping for new jobs. I agree, stay away.

Would Someone Explain To Me...

AUTHOR: Anthony - (U.S.A.)

Why a company would find the need to coerce drivers into quitting? It makes no sense whatsoever, and the two people who have claimed that this is ongoing really has me questioning their motives for posting such charges.

Trucking companies are screaming for help, and I'm quite sure that Conway didn't buy out CFI to go broke. They bought them to further their truckload interests. Firing or forcing people to quit, for any reason, isn't going to further those interests. Hiring a driver and getting them up to speed, so to speak, requires an investment of more than two thousand dollars these days, and it takes at least a month before a fresh driver is productive enough to start generating a profit for the company.

Now I'm quite sure that there have been problems, as there always are, when one company takes over another. But to size this up so soon into the transition phase only tells me that there are people who were not willing to stick it out to allow time for things to smooth out.

I also know that Conway has been purchasing new equipment for the truckload division, and that could very well explain a sizable number of empty trucks on lots. I've seen the new stuff hitting the roads in the past month.

Conway may not be the best job selection for all, but I somehow feel that this thread contains more misinformation, than credible information. The reason I find this so strange, is that until this thread popped up, you couldn't find an ill word out on the net against this company anywhere.

It's smelling like sour grapes to me, and I don't often use those words, because I know just how bad some of these companies can be out here. Conway isn't known for being one of them.

I'd urge anyone to do their own investigating if considering the company. Pin people down on the phone to points that would make or break the deal for yourself, before writing them off based on what can be read here. Until I see any widespread evidence to the contrary, I see no reason to not consider them a decent company to check out when looking for a good job.

#35 UPDATE EX-employee responds

CFI didn't have to fire persay; they worked on provoking the driver to leave

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

They treated the driver like poop so they would get tired of the poor miles, way they were being spoken to, and it goes on. If the driver quit they wouldn't have to pay unemployment. I saw with my own eyes the hundreds of empty Con-way truckload and CFI trucks. We too tried to stick it out, but they just wouldn't allow it.
And Steve, I have alot of respect for you, and your advice. But Con-way Truckload hired me without once having me back the truck. They also hired me, and my husband when we had not driven a big truck for over 3 years.We went to Con-way because they were the only company that would hire us without making us go through a training course. I know that Con-way has or had a good rep. , but things HAVE changed...alot.

Employment Insecurity is a Rip-Off of the American Worker & Taxpayers

AUTHOR: Helene - (U.S.A.)

I remember how bad it was in Austin,Texas when Dell Computers began laying computer people off and so did a lot of other computer companies in 2000.

I was a security guard at one of the companies when I was checking one of the BIG Executives office, out on his desk was a memo indicating that the e-commerce bubble was about ready to bust and I immediately started looking for a new job and told relatives NOT to invest in high-tech portfolios,. A month later, the company shut down and relocated to India. The fad of shipping out jobs to India and other cheap labor places had accelerated and THE HELL WITH US...

It MIGHT have started with the Computer business but it has spread to ALL CORPORATIONS and the WORLD has become their PLANTATION AND OUR COTTON PATCH...

They even have AMERICAN marketing firms hired by these same CORPORATIONS now falling all over themselves to sell products to new consumers in China and Latin America and anywhere where there are large masses of people.Selling to anybody and providing jobs for anybody BUT US! And then they want to get out of paying their taxes wanting us to subsidize the loss of our own jobs!

I WAS OUT OF WORK FOR THREE AND ONE HALF YEARS NEVER KNOWING IF I WOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE MY PROPERTY TAXES OR BE HOMELESS! I LOST MY CAR,I LOST MY PHONE, I LOST MY ELECTRIC UTILITY AND NEVER DID GET IT BACK! I HAD A SMALL SAMPLE OF WHAT THE GREAT DEPRESSION MUST HAVE BEEN LIKE and I realize how bad it could get. THE JOB I HAVE NOW IS LESS THAN 20 HOURS A WEEK AND I COULD LOSE IT ANYTIME! I am staying with relatives now or I would not be able to stay off of the street and who knows when this apartment building will be torn down to make condos for the wealthy and stupid. Where we will go when that happens, I have no clue.

I feel like I am dancing on a razor blade now.

The HUGE increase in DIESEL is HURTING THE TRUCKING BUSINESS SO I CAN BELIEVE THAT SOME WERE LAID OFF AND THERE WILL PROBABLY BE MORE. WHEN I HEARD ABOUT GASIOLINE GOING TO $10 a GALLON BY CHRISTMAS.

Dell Computers had a mass layoff back in 2001 or 2002 with several squads of uniformed security officers to herd the yuppie sheeple out of their office cubicles, giving them the box to clean out all of their things, etc. and for the first time in my life, I felt sorry for the unemployed people and I felt FEAR for my country.

It reminded me of those old documentaries where the Nazis in uniform are herding the victims to and from the boxcars...

Dell is closing the north Austin facility in 2008 and is moving it to TN for now but I wonder when it will eventually end up in a Third World prison camp with ultra cheap labor... And how much more mass firings, outsourcing , sending jobs overseas and what we will have left here in the US.

There have been a lot of more layoffs recently not only here but in other places but they are not getting much press.

It is like all at once, in the middle of the night, like in the Stalin days, the vehicles come and go and people are never seen again only now, the jobs mysteriously go and are never seen again.

I think the lady who wrote about these layoffs might have been right although you would think a layoff like this one would have least made the trade journal or the local newspaper.... They are tending to keep these secret until after the election I suppose. Not that it matters who is elected. It will go on as long as Congress and the American people let it.

Corporations can and do get away with things like this even though there is legislation against it because This Administration has been very friendly to Big Business, especially the petroleum, insurance and KBR and Haliburton. So I doubt if anything that benefits ordianry workers will be enforced.

Welcome To Corporate America

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Posted about this before. My wife worked for a local credit union for 16 years. They spent 8 months harassing her into quitting. She was the first of many to go. They were getting rid of all the old timers. They use to lose 2 or 3 per quarter. Then it got to 10 or 12 per quarter. In the old days, a teller could be "out", over or under, up to $100 per quarter before any action was taken. They put in a "zero tolerance" policy, whereas a teller could be terminated if they were "out" a nickel. They used it on who they wanted out. Why should they keep an "old timer" when they can hire two or three "newbies" for the same price? The local big insurance company layed off 10 or 12,000 employees and hired a couple of thousand workers from India and a bunch of part-timers. There is no loyalty in corporate America anymore.

#38 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

The way around this is to have people repost for their jobs (if you refuse to repost it is taken as a resignation) also they have the "employee at will" status that basically says you can be let go (or quit without notice) for any reason at any time.

#39 Consumer Suggestion

#40 Consumer Suggestion

#41 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

I'm Not Sure About This One....

AUTHOR: Anthony - (U.S.A.)

Con-Way Truckload existed before they bought CFI. As such, they had standards in place which they were entitled to apply to those drivers employed by CFI.

I'm always suspicious of reports submitted by spouses. You never seem to get the whole story when things are related second hand. What's missing from this one is why the husband was fired.

Reading the report, it almost appears that his termination was related to what was found when the truck's on-board computer was read by the shop. Had he manipulated the speed controls of the truck? Then again, it could be for anything, because that part of the equation is not offered. It might even be due to the fact that he had a pet in the truck and would not part with it. Maybe Con-Way cannot use drivers who live in Florida. Who knows?

Con-Way is a good company. They are also very stringent in their hiring standards. It is highly possible that some of CFI's drivers did not qualify under the criteria that must be met in order to work for Con-Way Truckload. If a driver had too many tickets or other safety violations, then they may have let some people go based on that criteria.

But as the second person offered, they would just arbitrarily let drivers go for no reason.

Con-Way does not generate negative complaints, and I find this one to be lacking in the details that would make sense as to why Con-Way let her husband go.

All this aside, when a company is bought out by another, those that buy it have the right to apply their employment standards to the employees as they see fit.

200 Empty Trucks???

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Drivers are too valuable to fire on mass. I have found that when someone gets fired there is a good reason for it but since I am not privvy to the details I will not comment directly on this individual case, rather I will point out the obvious.

No company in their right mind will cut their productivity potential by 10% in one sweep. To axe 200 trucks, that is what they would be doing. Con-way truckload until recently was CFI and didn't have to keep a bunch of investers happy, even so cutting the driver force this severly wouldn't make sense. Today, as a publicly traded company, handing out pink slips to 10% of its drivers would do little to demonstrate to the investors that all is well.

Concerned that someone was telling stories like this I called Con-way Truckload and asked if this was true; I received the answer I had expected and rebut this story absolutely, at least in so far as the mass firing is concerned. I could ask about the individual case firing but the fact is that it is none of my business so I will not waste my time. However, when a driver is terminated they are usually offered a bus ticket home. This driver when fired, for whatever reason, would have been offered a ticket home but he has his dog with him and I don't think Greyhound allows pets to travel.