Complaint Review: CPRS - Certigy

certigy.com Nationwide U.S.A.

CPRS - Certigy Where's the Feds when you need them? Birmingham Alabama

*Consumer Comment: Certigy

*Consumer Suggestion: Just use your DEBIT CARD!

About a month ago, I started receiving telephone calls from a "voice message" - not a human - telling me they were CPRS - a debt collection agency and that I needed to give them my "control #", as if I'd have one - and then be ready with my checking account # and routing #! I ignored it - guess what?? The same robot is now calling me every day. Coincidence?? My credit card interest after 7 years, went suddenly from 6.9% to 31.49%! When I got my bill, I tried calling both this phantom CPRS company and my credit card company - both, on a Saturday afternoon and I can't talk to anybody. Sooooooooo, then I went to the computer to do some research and found this site!

About a year ago, Sears wouldn't take my check - they blamed it on CERTIGY - wanna know why? Because CERTIGY didn't have me in their data base. I called CERTIGY and they wanted all kinds of personal information, which I refused to give them - I got angry and asked what Federal Agency they had to report their business practices to - they told me they didn't have to and nobody would honor my checks unless I "signed up". HELP! And now I feel like I'm a victim of CERTIGY? What's going on with this company and how can it be stopped? I'm contacting my bank on Monday and advising them that they better not let someone take $$ out of my accounts. ~~ Mem

Memoree
anaheim, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2008 08:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CPRS-Certigy/nationwide/CPRS-Certigy-Wheres-the-Feds-when-you-need-them-Birmingham-Alabama-297400. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CPRS - Certigy

Certigy

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

I have to agree with the other consumer here. These calls you are getting are in regards to debt collection proceedings. To make a long story short I had the same problem. Few years ago I made a purchase at godaddy.com. *laughs* just search godaddy on this website to see other horror storys about them. Anyhow I paid with a checking account and didn't know the product was selected to automatically renew. So a year later after I long forgot about the godaddy account and moved banks I start getting letters from Certigy and like you my checks are being declined. I contacted Certigy about this and after being beat around the bush 5000 times they said GoDaddy has to contact them to resolve this. I spoke with GoDaddy, GoDaddy said the issue was taken care of it. It was, they contacted Certigy however Certigy still wanted their fee for pursueing this debt. So even though GoDaddy excused it as a mistake, Certigy wanted their fee. As far as im concerned they should have gotten the money off GoDaddy, wasn't my mistake, I never agreed to being automatically billed again, GoDaddy made that choice. So after fighting and fighting and fighting I finally got that taken care of.

I do have to sympathize with you, being in Certigys system is rough, once they have your drivers license # your done, doesn't matter what checking account you try to use. I don't understand how this would affect your credit cards though.

You need to get a recent copy of all your credit reports and address any errors that may exist. You obviously here have more going on then you wish to admit or are aware of. Act now before it's too late!

Also with that credit card rate increase, you don't have to accept it. You can tell them that you refuse the increase and wish to close the account. They have to close the account at the old rate until it's paid off, might be too late for that one, but it'll help you in the future.
Best Regards

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Why would anyone even go through the hassle of writing checks to a merchant like Sears? A debit card is easier and safer than using a check.

Checks are obsolete anyway.

Yopu must have an unpaid check or check charge somewhere, and now the credit card company has used the "universal default" clause to raise your interest rate. This is a scam, but a perfectly legal one that is spelled out in the terms and conditions of your credit card.

Any collection account on your credit report, valid or not, can cause them to invoke this clause, even if your default was not with them.

Just another reason not to write checks to merchants, or anyone for that matter.
I use my debit card for all store purchases, and use online banking for all utilities, etc.

#3 Consumer Suggestion