Complaint Review: CRC Of Virginia, Inc Aka Community Reading Club Of Virginia, Inc

• Submitted: Wed, December 10, 2003
  • Updated: Thu, October 04, 2012

• Reported By:Muskegon Michigan
CRC Of Virginia, Inc Aka Community Reading Club Of Virginia, Inc
PO Box 66119 Virginia Beach, VA Virginia Beach, Virginia U.S.A.

CRC Of Virginia, Inc Aka Community Reading Club Of Virginia, Inc after cancellation tries to make you pay for extra months but refuses to continue service for paid months Virginia Beach Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Happened to me too

*Consumer Comment: The same thing happened to me...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: help is here

I blindly joined CRC of Virginia's magazine club. I admit it was stupid on my part due the the extremely high price of the magazines when actually figured out per magazine. Even the way the program is set up is deceiving.

They start out telling you that you are paying for only one magazine, but recieving four plus two extra subscriptions of their choice. The service is for four years of magazines, but they pile the cost up on one year. So, I paid for two months and decided to quit the service. I mailed a letter of cancellation and thought that was that. Supposedly they had to talk to me in person to actaully cancel it.

Well, today they did, but by now I'm three months behind ($150). They tell me I can cancel now but I have to pay for the $150 I owe. I responded by explaining their own payment system to them. I have paid two months, but since the service is for four years I actually paid for 8 months of service. I have only recieved 4.

It seems logical that service could be halted and we could forget about the "past due" amount since I haven't recieved any of the issue that would have fallen into that amount. They tell me I have to pay the $150 and the service would be stop immediately. I would recieve only four more issues per magazine. My response is to then explain the payment system again. If I have to pay $250 dollars total or 42% of the total price, I should receive 42% of the four years of magazines or one year and eight months. Instead they say I will be paying for the one year and eight months worth of magazines and receive only 8 months.

In addition, the service "supervisor" I talked to was incompatant and would not listen to me when I tried to explain my position. She would respond to every concern with "I will go ahead and cancel your account, but you still have the past due amount of 150. Can I do anything else for you?" Yes, you can satisfy my reasonable request. Plus, they never send the great free gifts such as the diamond watch.

Everyone beware. They receive your information from Discover Card (who by the way even gives them your credit card number). I even cancelled my Discover Card because I was so disgusted that they would refer my information to such a vile company.

Muskegon, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/10/2003 09:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CRC-Of-Virginia-Inc-Aka-Community-Reading-Club-Of-Virginia-Inc/Virginia-Beach-Virginia-23466-6119/CRC-Of-Virginia-Inc-Aka-Community-Reading-Club-Of-Virginia-Inc-after-cancellation-tries-74654. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CRC Of Virginia, Inc Aka Community Reading Club Of Virginia, Inc

Happened to me too

AUTHOR: Brittany - (United States of America)

This company is trying to charge me over 700 dollars & I have no clue why it is so high. I thought that the payments were only supposed to be 39 dollars a month for 12 months. That would make my total owed around 468 dollars and I paid 312. So, I should only owe around 156. I attempted to call and cancel because I could no longer afford to make the payments but the number the had provided me was phony. In response to that I just cancelled my debit card so they would quit charging me. I figured by doing that they would stop sending me the magazines and it would be done with. Well, I was wrong. Instead they billed me over 700 dollars and never sent me the rest of the magazines once I stopped the payments. They said that once I made my payments I would receive the rest of them. In my opinion if somebody quits paying something then you should quit sending them the product. They told me at the collection agency if I didn't pay the 700 dollars that they could possibly take me to court. Has this happened to anyone else? Did they take you to court?

The same thing happened to me...

AUTHOR: Bryan - (United States of America)

I too blindly joined CRC of Virginia's magazine club. I received a letter in the mail (which I should have copied) that said "If you send this in within X amount of days, your subscription will be cancelled." I sent in the letter, and even called the number they gave me to cancel.

When I called the number in question, I told them that I realized that I was not financially able to pay for this. The personon the phone with me said "Alright, let me just get that taken care of, and you should be good." I called three times, and they still took money out of my account. I called them again and told them that I sent in my cancellation notice, and called the number three different times to cancel their services. The man on the phone said "We never sent you a cancellation notice." I really wish I would have copied that letter.

I wasn't able to get my $100 back, and I ended up changing banks. At least three to four times a day, CRC will call me, but I just don't pick up. I never saw the diamond watch I was promised either. I figured that if I don't pay them, I won't get any more magazines. I've received the number of magazines I paid for, but again, I didn't receive the watch they promised would come first. One of these days I might just pick up the phone and have a little chat with them.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

help is here

AUTHOR: Saved by grace - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry you were put into that situation. All the help and answers you need are posted at

PS: you discover card company had NOTHING to do with what happened. I used to work there... I should know.

Please subscribe and check weekly for updates. I have a lot of info to post and haven't gotten it all done yet. Also, tell all your friends and family because they could be the next victim. Everyone needs to be educated about companies like this and I am taking a step to do it first. Proper education will lead this company to folding. I will eventually spread to youtube; myspace; twitter; and online blogs everywhere! Help me by subscribing! Thanks and good luck.