Complaint Review: CSA Travel Protection

• Updated: Tue, May 21, 2013

• Reported By: Stacey Delgado — Leesville Louisiana
CSA Travel Protection
P.O. Box 939057, San Diego CA San Diego, California USA

CSA Travel Protection, Do not Purchase if you are Military Military Members Beware San Diego California

*UPDATE Employee: Sharing SSN is not required

My husband and I were planning a family vacation to Destin FL, and booked a condo at Gulf Winds East, through a company called destingetaways.com.  I asked when booking the condo if they had a military clause in their cancellation policy to insure if my husand needed to cancel his leave that we were covered.  The GM at Gulf Winds East informed me that they had travel insurance through a company called CSA Travel Protection.

A month later my husbands leave got canceled.  Due to mission requirements.  If you are active duty you understand that leave can be canceled at any time.  I went to the website, downloaded all the forms and sent them off.  Two weeks later I have not received anything from the company. No notification that they required any additional information, which I stated in my email that I wanted to be contacted quickly if there were any additional forms or documentation required.  I had to call the company and when I did, I spoke with Karen Helkem (spelling of last name may be incorrect).  She informed me that she needed a revoked leave slip.  Again, if you are active duty you know that your SSN is on the leave slip, which is a privacy act violation, and even DoD doesn't require that now at the hospitals we use.  I sent off a sterile leave slip, and she said that she needed the original leave slip that he turned in.

Not only do they require this, but we were informed by Ms Helkem that this is a normal policy, that they get activation order from service members, which is a OPSEC violation, and should not be given to any company.  She stated that Service Members also provide their company with Deployment orders as well.

If you are active duty, or even national guard or reserve, please do not purchase travel insurance through this company.  We are still waiting for our 1000.00.  I do not believe that we will see this money ever again, because from the other reports that are on the internet CSA travel protection will find another excuse to deny our claim.  They do it to everyone.  But as a Service Member, you should be aware of company's that request this type of information.  You are giving away information to strangers that could cost the life of your battle buddy or worse your family.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/21/2013 08:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CSA-Travel-Protection/San-Diego-California/CSA-Travel-Protection-Do-not-Purchase-if-you-are-Military-Military-Members-Beware-San-Di-1052815. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CSA Travel Protection

Sharing SSN is not required

AUTHOR: CSA Travel Protection - ()

We at CSA understand and respect service members' needs, including coverage for having their leave revoked at any time. In fact, our plans include the following language as a covered peril, "Your previously granted military leave being revoked.  The leave must be approved prior to your coverage becoming effective, and official written revocation notice from your commanding officer will be required."

CSA does not require sharing one's SSN, but our underwriter does need written confirmation of the leave revocation. If sharing documents that include a SSN, we recommend policy holders black it out with a marker or other device before sending to us. In addition, those filing a claim who don't have the necessary paperwork can send us a signed letter from their commanding officer.

We are sorry for any misunderstanding that occurred with this claim, but the refund check has been processed and is on the way.