Complaint Review: CVS Pharmacy

• Updated: Sun, June 03, 2012

• Reported By: Jessie Ann — Austin Texas United States of America
CVS Pharmacy
2927 Guadalupe Austin, Texas United States of America

CVS Pharmacy Fired me over a "positive" drug test after 2 MONTHS! unethical... Austin, Texas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You don't want to work there anyways.

*Consumer Suggestion: Push for the lab results...

I was hired by CVS in March 2010 for the Photo Lab Supervisor position. Before being hired they said I needed to take a drug test, and I did. I accidently flushed the toilet even though I was not supposed to (I'm a creature of habit). I told the women that I would take it over if needed but she said it would be fine.

Flashforward to May 2010, I am called into the office and my manager said that my drug test came back positive. I know its just a retail job, but I worked so hard to turn our photo department around and haven't done drugs at all.

After my initial flip out (I have lots of bills and felt I was wronged) my manager said that he would talk to corporate and the lab about it. The report did not even state what I tested positive for. I had taken an OTC sleeping pill a few days before the test, but I even asked the woman in the lab if that would effect it, and again she said it would be fine.

After that I have no information about what is going on. Ive called my manger almost every day since and he gives me the same run around that the people in the lab don't know what happened. I called the lab, but they can't give me the information. I called a lawyer and basically he said Texas law says I can be fired for no reason, no questions asked. ..... ugh.

Look, I know its not 100% cvs' fault nor is it totally the lab's fault 100%, but this just seems to unfair to let go. Especially since they won't let me retake it. I'm scared this is going to show up on my background checks. I just can't believe that they didn't see it sooner. If it was positive I should have never been hired.

I know that Texas law states I can't do anything about this, but I'm hoping people will read this and help me fight against this automatic termination. There isnt much communication between lab and employer (at least in my case) and its not fair to those who know they have not done drugs. I wouldnt fight this hard if I did.

I'm not going to stop until this is settled. I may be unemployed but I don't want my job back. I just want to know what happened and  what I tested positive for.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2010 03:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CVS-Pharmacy/Austin-Texas-/CVS-Pharmacy-Fired-me-over-a-positive-drug-test-after-2-MONTHS-unethical-Austin-Te-613561. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CVS Pharmacy

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You don't want to work there anyways.

AUTHOR: handsmommy - (United States of America)

I worked for CVS recently and they are a joke of a company to work for.  They now have this success class and the information they give you in that class isn't what actually takes place in stores.  They tell you to use a universal card for people who don't want to sign up for ExtraCare, but the stores tell you that you can get written up for that.  You aren't told that you will get written up for doing too many voids, returns, price verifications, or price modify and they just write you up and tell you why later.  They don't allow enough hours for the amount of employees they have in each store and so you are expected to get more done than is humanly possible.  In the store I was in, there were three cashiers, three shift managers and a store manager for front store.  The shift managers have so much to do during their shift that they can't help cashier or stock shelves and the cashier is also expected to run the photo lab because there are not enough hours available to have a separate person for that area.  Every time I would walk out from behind the register to go stock make up or hang the ad tags, another customer would walk up, but yet our district manager said we were not busy enough to give us the proper amount of hours to get things done everyday.  This company is the most disorganized company I have ever worked for !

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Push for the lab results...

AUTHOR: Chefkeith - (U.S.A.)

I am related to someone who works in the same retail profession. More than likely the lab was backed up and that is why you received the results so late. You need to push the lab for what drug came up positive. They have to disclose this to you. It is the law. It will not show up on a background check. The drug test was requested by a store in the CVS chain. It has nothing to do with going on your background. Unfortunately you live in a state with a fire at will policy. Are you sure you took no drugs at all? Even a lemon poppy seed muffin will show as a positive on a drug test. Seriously, push for the results! Best of luck to you!