Complaint Review: C.W. Originals

• Submitted: Sun, August 08, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, September 01, 2010

• Reported By: Ssj — Murrieta California U.S.A.
C.W. Originals
420 N. McKinley Street, Ste.111238 Corona, California United States of America

C.W. Originals Cheri Knapp Bridal Fair SCAM- paid $375 to be a vendor, only 10 brides showed up. She would not refund us, and all vendors at the event were furious. Corona, California

*Consumer Comment: Wedding Vendor IS 100% WRONG

*Author of original report: C.W. Originals has refunded our money in full

*General Comment: You are a Psychologist?

*Consumer Comment: C.W. Originals, Cheri Knapp Update

*Author of original report: We demand a refund!

*Consumer Suggestion: C.W. Originals Bridal Event

C.W. Originals is a complete SCAM. We (along with 30+ vendors) were scammed out of $375 by Cheri and her son today at the bridal show they orchestrated at Irvine Hilton Hotel. Only 10 brides showed up to the "show".  Before any of the vendors signed up, she told us all that she had pre-registered at least 250 brides, and that she expected at least 1,000-2,000 brides to show up.

If anyone is planning on attending anything that this company is putting on, the only thing you can plan on is losing your money and time. Her son was verbally abusive (borderline physically violent) when we and the rest of the vendors confronted Cheri and asked for a refund, and Cheri refused to give any of the vendors any kind of refund.  The police showed up, said that C.W. Originals has BBB complaints along with numerous other complaints against them.  They walked away with all of the hard-earned money from the vendors, and the vendors all went home empty-handed, having wasted an entire day of possible work and $375 (some vendors paid even more) of honestly earned money.

Do not do business with this company, they are con artists.  They have rehearsed and performed their act many times it seems.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2010 09:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CW-Originals/Corona-California-92879/CW-Originals-Cheri-Knapp-Bridal-Fair-SCAM-paid-375-to-be-a-vendor-only-10-brides-show-629856. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on C.W. Originals

Wedding Vendor IS 100% WRONG

AUTHOR: Carol - (U.S.A.)

I read that C.W. Originals refunded 100% of this clients money but I didn't see a word of apology for all the accusations and slander this F'er posted on the RippOff Report.  PLEASE C.W. Originals let us know who this idiot is.... Just post his company name and allow those of us who read the report to avoid doing business with this chump.  He's obviously a classless fool that will go into hysterics over a couple hundred dollars. I can only imagine how difficult he must be to work with for a wedding.

If the guy who posted this stuff does read this I think you should have a  little class and post a retraction similar to the BS you first posted. You had a problem. handled it the wrong way. Filed a complaint with the BBB and here online and then, when C.W. Originals resolved the issue in a very timely manner (as I thought they would in my prior posts) you add a two line note saying in effect, "Never Mind."

You're an A-hole.

C.W. Originals has refunded our money in full

AUTHOR: Ssj - (U.S.A.)

We would like to delete this dispute now, as C.W. Originals has refunded our money in full.  They seem to want to make the situation right, and we are very thankful for that.  Please disregard all other statements and complaints against the company, since they have now corrected the problem.

#3 General Comment

You are a Psychologist?

AUTHOR: WhatTHE? - (United States of America)

So you are a Psychologist?  Are you a licensed Psychologist with a PhD who is qualified to diagnose patients?  Are you a licensed Psychologist with a PhD who sells stuff to brides for a living?  Is the reason that wedding cakes cost so much money that are they are all made by doctors?

C.W. Originals, Cheri Knapp Update

AUTHOR: Carol - (U.S.A.)

Ok, let's get this straight.

The show promoter had the police, the ambulance and many of the participants in on a scam to cheat you out of a few hundred dollars. Do I have that right?  It's also so common for paramedics to discuss someone's medical condition with people standing around. Hell, it happens all the time. Just walk up to an ambulance, ask what's going on and they will give you a complete medical update on the patient.

Let's try this again.... Your problem is you don't now crap about how to handle a negative situation.

#1. As a previous vendor and long time participant in some of C.W. Originals shows I personally have experienced both well attended and lightly attended shows. The difference between me and you is I'm not an a*****e who makes stupid accusations, which brings me to point #2.

#2. Brides who attend shows NEVER have everything set and while I will agree that 20 brides is a VERY LOW number, I'll bet that I would have walked away with at least 3 appointments and captured at least on sale. You didn't because you were to busy screaming about your lame a*s money.

#3. Your a complete idiot. The promoter gave away free booths, allowed brides to attend for free, listed people in the program that weren't there and brought her family to the event all in an attempt to scam what? $3000 or $4000? With many years of show experience behind me, let me tell you what happened. I wasn't at the event but I promise, this is probably what went down.

C.W. Originals scheduled the show and started promoting the event. Over time, a few vendors signed up and of course 90% of them were slow to pay because times are tough. Because not as many participants signed up as was planned for the promoter was forced to cut some of the advertising and that effected attendance. Add to that the fact the we are in a rough economy and brides are far more cautious than in prior years and you have a "perfect storm" of bad luck and yes, some poor planning from the promoter. Running a show poorly is bad, but it's not a scam.

Along you come with your cheap a*s $300-$400 and you don't just want a good show, you want to get all your business for a year off your $400 investment. Two hour into the show it's obvious that the show is not good so instead of working with the brides who are there, you start bitching to the other exhibitors. Because your a p***y, you don't do the right thing like wait until after the show and discuss your options with the promoter, you instead grab a bunch of other exhibitors, grow some temporary balls and attack as a group because that's ALWAYS the best way to handle a situation like this.

Then because the promoter freaks out with all the "non-confrontational" support your offering, you decide to come here and start trashing her. Again, you're a very big person when you can do it in secret or in a group but face-to-face I'll bet you're a p***y.

The short version of this long story is you paid your money and you took your chances. Now instead of posting that the show was bad. Or something like Don't do this show with this promoter because the show was bad. You have to trumpet things like SCAM and RipOff and b***h that they "walked away" with your hard-earned money. BooHoo, BooHoo, BooHoo

Cheri has some very connected friends in the wedding industry. You should probably hope that you don't piss them off because they access more brides in a week than you see in a year. Imagine the impact on your business if they start spreading crap about you like you're spreading about her. It could seriously limit your future business.

In closing think about this. By your own numbers C.W. had about 30 exhibitors and maybe ten of them were "in on" the scam. That leaves $400 x 20 or $8000 AT MOST in income. How much do you think a ballroom in a Hilton costs? Let's guess at about $5000. What the hell lets say $4000. Now take out the printing and advertising that was done and say they have what $2000 left over? Now it takes 4 months for all the vendors to sign up so that works out to about $500 a month for CW's coordination. I guess your right. This does appear to be a well orchestrated highly developed scam that's grossing over $115 a week! Quick call the papers! (just kidding, refer to prior paragraph and don't call the papers)

Your a F'ing putz. Put this behind you, Chalk it up to a lesson learned and stop with the dramatic BS that C.W. is scamming people. Tell everyone not to do their shows if you want but put what little mental power you have into reasonable thought. There isn't a scam. No-one was ripped off. It appears to be simply a case of a show promoter that bit off more than they could chew.

We demand a refund!

AUTHOR: Ssj - (U.S.A.)

Well, if this rebuttal is from Cheri, you know what you did, and the only way to make it right and stop all of the vendors you scammed from ruining your reputation is to refund our hard-earned money that you stole from us.  If the rebuttal was not from Cheri, then you most definitely don't know the details of what happened that day.  First of all, the ambulance was part of the scam.  Paramedics told us there was absolutely nothing physically wrong with her in any way, yet she still insisted on being taken away by ambulance.  I'm a psychologist and used to read body language for a living, and I know an ACT when I see one.  She was, without a doubt, faking her panic attack or whatever it was she was claiming to have.  Her son, who became verbally and physically abrasive, was also "acting".

None of the vendors were threatening or even rude to her, we all respectfully asked for answers and were distraught that we had lost so much money and got nothing in return.  How can 99% of business come after the show, when there were far more vendors than brides?  And most of the brides didn't even have a wedding date set, and all of 7 brides we talked to weren't seriously looking for vendors.  To make matters even worse, Cheri didn't even charge some of the vendors at all!  She let them in for free last minute.  However, we signed up last minute after she called us and went over in great detail how there would be 500+ brides (a "conservative estimate" she told us) and demanded our $375 that morning when we arrived at the show.  We did not sign ANY contract, yet when we asked for a refund halfway through the show, she said it was "in the contract that there are no refunds".  What contract??  The "receipt" she gave us for our cash payment was hand-written on the back of a flier.

Even the FLIERS were phony.  None of the vendors who were actually there were even listed,  (even the ones who had signed up and paid 4 months prior), they were made and printed from a home computer and didn't even have the date of the show on them.  The whole thing was so easy to see as a blatant SCAM after it was all said and done.

Our attorney says we have a solid case against Cheri Knapp. He is currently looking into the claim she makes about "donating 50% of her profit to the Red Cross for breast cancer".  We'll see about that.

The easiest way for her to avoid these legal troubles and ruining her reputation even further is to REFUND our money.  She can say all she wants about how heartless we vendors are for speaking the truth about what happened....what about her??  She STOLE and REFUSED TO REFUND our HARD-EARNED, HONESTLY MADE money, from all of the vendors who were unfortunate enough to have to PAY.  (Remember, she let some vendors do the show for FREE, in order to make it appear legitimate.)  She stole our money-a married couple with 2 babies, not even able to make our rent each month, working our butts off to be able to come up $375 for a bridal fair, ordering all kinds of prints and products via rush delivery to be ready for the show, praying to God that we'd get some business and deposits from it (as we had with every other legitimate bridal show we've done).  She can try to defend herself and save her reputation all day long, but the vendors out there KNOW the truth- that it was a cowardly white collar SCAM.

Refund our hard-earned money Cheri, it's the least you can do.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

C.W. Originals Bridal Event

AUTHOR: Carol - (U.S.A.)

I'm not a show promoter but I am a wedding professional and I've done some C.W. Original bridal shows in the past. It's utter nonsense to call C.W. Originals a "SCAM" or call them "Con Artist". I heard about this post online and I'm livid.

We've been dealing with Cheri for over 15 years and know how much work she puts into every event. She has produced some very good, upscale events in the past. The economy is down so some of the shows have been down as well. At this point it's more a function of economics rather than promotion. Something the little b***h (male or female) who wrote the post isn't smart enough to understand.

As I understand the complaint, some pencil d**k idiot rents a display and doesn't get the response they want at the show. (never mind the fact that 99% of your success comes after the show) Then, the same idiot grabs other exhibitors and as a group attack a woman who's already stressed as hell because attendance is down.  It takes a gutless a*s to run up to a promoter with 20 other people and berate her so badly that they have to haul her off in an ambulance. What would you have done if she died? Are you so F'd up that your $350 is worth that? Then you go home, sit down and write some crap on RipOff Report.  What a p****. Your lucky that wasn't me because first of all I wouldn't have taken your crap and second, my husband would track you down and handle business in a completely different way.

Clearly your brains not working or you have a mental deficiency so let me help you. Here's how you handle it. You give C.W. Originals a couple weeks to contact all the advertising outlets that sold her advertising. I'm sure they told her that they were Gods gift to advertising and thousands of brides would attend the show. Her question to them should be, "What the Hell? You said if I bought your advertising people would attend."  The crowd was down, what are you going to do to help my exhibitors?

Then, once she's had a chance to see what can be done you politely, (one-on-one) call her and find out what can be done.  Act like a human, not a brainless animal. It's silly to think she worked for six months to produce an event, bring her family to the show to help and the entire time was doing it so she could take $350 from you.  I know, it must be shocking but the world doesn't revolve around your sorry a*s.

By the way, what kind of loser wedding professional gets that worked up over $350? I'll bet you routinely ask brides to pay you thousands because your so "professional," yet YOUR actions show how classless and stupid you are. I'll bet you will get your money back. Not because you deserve it but because Cheri is a professional even when your not. If it were me you would roast in Hell before I even thought about taking your call but I'll bet she's going to work to help you.

In closing can I point out the obvious?  Anyone who would get so worked up over such a small investment obviously isn't a very well established professional. If you bought $350 worth of Yellow Pages and didn't get a call would you write some crap on this site? Would you scream at the rep until they called an ambulance?  How about the other advertising you do? I think because you had a bunch of other people with you, you were brave at the show and because you don't have to sign a name, your brave here but one-on-one you're probably a little bitty brainless s***k and it's only through group action or anonymity that you can feel brave.  You my friend are the Con Artist not C.W. Originals.