Complaint Review: Cabelas

• Submitted: Mon, April 28, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, April 28, 2008

• Reported By:Downers Grove Illinois
Cabelas
5225 Prairie Stone Parkway Hoffman Estates, Illinois U.S.A.

Cabelas RIPOFF ON MY BOAT - POOR SERVICE Hoffman Estates Illinois

I was in the market for a new Alumacraft boat, and I really wanted the new Evinrude E-Tec engine. After going to my local marine dealer, a friend of mine told me Cabela's sold them also, so I decided to see if I could get a better price. BIG MISTAKE ! ! !

After quoting me a better price then I had at the other boat dealership, I waited 10 WEEKS for my boat ! THEN the real problems began. First off, they put my $30,000 boat on a CHEAP trailer, with no spare tire. Then, I noticed that the special gauge that comes with the E-Tec engine wasn't on my boat, and when I asked about that, I was told that was extra, and would be another 4-6 weeks for delivery. How can you sell me the new E-Tec engine without the proper gauges to use it properly ? ? ? ? ?

But - if this was the least of my problems it wouldnt have been a total disaster.........

I finally took my boat out last weekend, and first thing I noticed was that my boat was VERY hard to control, and was listing to the port side uncontrolably. Then, I noticed that my E-Tec was smoking like my old 2 stroke engine, when it was advertised as "Cleaner and Quieter" then a 4 stroke. Something was dreadfully wrong.......

This time, I took my boat to my local marine dealer, and right away they saw what the problem was. The engine was installed offset on my transom. That is why my boat was drifting port while driving it, they put my engine on wrong ! ! ! Then - as for the smoking, nothing was wrong with my engine, but they DIDNT PROGRAM THE COMPUTER for the proper oil ratio ! ! ! !

Now I was livid, I called Cabela's, and after 2 hours of ping pong with sales rep, manager, ect. ect., I finally found out that they DONT EVEN HAVE the proper equipment to program the engine ! ! Then, they said that an engine being offset by only a couple of inches is not an issue......

WHAT ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I will NEVER shop at Cabela's again, they can keep their crappy T-shirts and OVERPRICED fishing lures......... this is what I get for trying to save a few bucks............

William
Downers Grove, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/28/2008 06:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cabelas/Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-60192/Cabelas-RIPOFF-ON-MY-BOAT-POOR-SERVICE-Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-329391. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cabelas