Complaint Review: Cablevision of So. Connecticut

PO Box 9256 Chelsea, Massachusetts United States of America
  • Phone: 203-336-2225
  • Web:
  • Category: Cable TV

Cablevision of So. Connecticut Fraudulent Charge for a Service We Did Not Order Chelsea, Massachusetts

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Question

*Author of original report: I Checked My Bill ...

*Author of original report: I Have Spoken to Two Managers Since

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Used to work in their customer service department

We received our bill on November 8th, 2010 to find that a $73.00 package was added which we did not order. On the night that they claimed we placed the order, October 30th 2010, we were not present in our home, nor did we have any visitors. When we called the customer service to dispute the charges they told us that this was a "non-refundable" package. They claimed they could not identify which box in the home that the supposed order was placed nor could they do anything for us. We have been a customer in good standing with this company for over five years. After being transferred from person to person just requesting that the package be canceled and our money refunded they accused us of consciously ordering the package. We explained that had we ordered it, we would not be calling to cancel only a week later. We also explained we were not present in the home. They informed us that their system "never has glitches which could result in charges being placed on a bill by mistake." In addition, we were spoken to condescendingly by the customer service representatives. In conclusion, we just wish the charge to be removed from the bill as we never ordered the service and have no desire for it to be in the home.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/08/2010 09:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cablevision-of-So-Connecticut/Chelsea-Massachusetts-02150/Cablevision-of-So-Connecticut-Fraudulent-Charge-for-a-Service-We-Did-Not-Order-Chelsea-659799. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cablevision of So. Connecticut

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Question

AUTHOR: Stuart - (U.S.A.)

Does the bill say you have the right to cancel within the first 30 days? Does it say in the fine print that there are exceptions to that general rule?

I Checked My Bill ...

AUTHOR: eaveni - (United States of America)

I checked my bill and it tells me that they are not obligated to refund pay per view packages. It did tell me an address to write to and the number of the cable commission though so thanks for advising me to look!

I Have Spoken to Two Managers Since

AUTHOR: eaveni - (United States of America)

Both of these managers ... I can provide names but wish not to on a public site ... have told me this is a "non-refundable" package. I have now requested that the serial number of the supposed box we ordered it from be tracked. They have not responded yet to this request.

I plan right now on taking out my bill and finding where it says that all pay per view programs are refundable. I am sure they will claim that this is not a "pay per view" package or some such scamming malarky.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Used to work in their customer service department

AUTHOR: Stuart - (U.S.A.)

Some comments:

1) As it states on the cable bill, every customer has the right to cancel within 30 days and no package is "non-refundable."

2) About their system never having glitches, a few points:

a) Normally the system doesn't have glitches, but I've seen a case where the computer messed up a customer's bill which I manually corrected.

b) At one time, the department received many phone calls from customers saying that they didn't order certain pay-per-views (this went on for several weeks). Since that time
I've never received further phone calls on that issue.

c) I had to manually keep track of my sales to get my full commission (I worked there for
6 and 1/2 years and this was a problem from beginning to end). A separate computer had bugs in it that the department never got corrected.

I would call them again - get names with rep numbers and keep track of the date you speak with the department (they often don't note the account). If still no satisfaction within a week, go higher and call the cable commission to voice your complaint.