Complaint Review: Cablevision

• Submitted: Mon, August 01, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, August 01, 2011

• Reported By: Ed — Shirley New York Virgin Islands (US)
Cablevision
Long Island, NY Internet United States of America

Cablevision Basic Cable goes from $180 to $780 per year Internet, Internet

Im a very fortunate person.  I have (5) TVs (thanks to better times than these).  I have Basic Cable which is all us semi-retirees need and can afford.  My bill is $15 per month or $180 per year.

Last year there was all this hoopla about cable going digital and we had to get new TVs because antennae would no longer work.  (Great for the TV manufacturers)  I was lucky.  Mine were all cable ready, and I was assured that no box would be needed for Basic Cable.

Now Cablevision says that I have to rent cable boxes from them at $7 each or I cant get even Basic Cable.  (Of course, being the nice guys they are, theyre willing to loan me one for a year and only charge me for the other (4) for now.  That
raises my cost for Basic Cable (the service the PSC orders them not to mess with because the poor and elderly on fixed incomes use to get news and a little entertainment, although thats mainly commercials and reruns of reruns) from
$180 a year to $780 per year.  THATS ALMOST A MORTGAGE PAYMENT!

Ive filed a complaint with the NYS PSC and with AARP.  Please lend your voices to this by contacting  this regulatory agency and this organization.

Ive also cut the cable.  No more TV in my house.  So dont ask me Whats new because I wont know the News.  And dont expect me to vote, because I wont know anything about the issues.  Hmmm.  Maybe that was their intention all along.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/01/2011 12:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cablevision/internet/Cablevision-Basic-Cable-goes-from-180-to-780-per-year-Internet-Internet-759259. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cablevision