Complaint Review: Cal Ventures

• Submitted: Wed, April 07, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, April 24, 2004

• Reported By:Newcastle Washington
Cal Ventures
14608 Hwy 99 #304 Lynwood, Washington U.S.A.

Cal Ventures - Cal Spas - Aqua World 450 gallons of cold water Ripoff Lynwood Washington

*Consumer Comment: Dave, what about why your Authorized Service Provider didn't respond better

*UPDATE Employee: Big Communication Breakdown

We purchased a new CalSpas hot tub as the Seattle Home show. The tub was delivered within five weeks of order. The tub was installed by Aqua World, the service technition for Cal Ventures. The tub heated up once then the tempature dropped to 87 degrees and held.

The technition told my wife that she could not understand how to read the manual and/or operate the tub! We went through all steps as outlined in the manual, left messages for the dealer, Cal Ventures, and still 87 degrees. We then contacted the manufacturer Cal Spas and were told that there would be a trip charge to have a technition look at the tub, we would not agree to pay any charge for a brand new tub that was not working.

The dealer has refused to take ownership of the problem, although they were very ready will and able to take ownership of my $7,942. After more than a week the owner of the dealership "Jimmy" has not contacted us once and they told us they would come out once and never showed up and never called back and have not called back yet!

The only thing I thought I could do is to write the President of Cal Spas the manufacturer. Once I did that I did receive a call from the manufacturer who was able to facilitate a service call (at no charge) to determine that the tub is broken. Still no call from the dealer! We have now been advised to drain the 450 gallons of cold water to "winterize" the tub (1 week old) until a part can be sent.....with no ETA. And still no call from Jimmy! In addition the tub was not ordered as was written up i our sales agreement, a stereo upgrade was not included in the tub that we had paid for. And still no call from Jimmy!

I would say that there are lots of hot tub dealers out there and I would have a few words of advise. First don't wait for a call from Jimmy. Second insist on seeing a copy of the warranty agreement prior to purchase.... you will see that there are hidden charges and many loopholes for the manufacturer to escape from their responsiblity under that warranty. In addition the warranty starts when the tub is purchased, not when it is delivered! That may not be important on day one, but in five years it could be very important. Third meet the service people and if not with the dealer find out who they are and insist on speaking with them as they may be your only thread of contact.

I have notified American Express, with which I paid for the tub and they are assisting in the dispute, I have notified my state attorney generals office and have registered my complaint with the manufacturer.

Wet, cold & frustrated!

Jim
Newcastle, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/07/2004 12:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cal-Ventures/Lynwood-Washington/Cal-Ventures-Cal-Spas-Aqua-World-450-gallons-of-cold-water-Ripoff-Lynwood-Washington-86950. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cal Ventures

Dave, what about why your Authorized Service Provider didn't respond better

AUTHOR: Darren - (U.S.A.)

Dave,
Your reason for the mix up was understandable. Your response to the customer's dilemma was good too.

What I have to ask though is why your Authorized Service Provider didn't respond better to a problem? It has been my experience that these service providers get a fixed dollar amount for servicing a problem and they usually try to provide the absolutely minimum amount of time and effort because they want the prestige of being a certified business but the resent the work (and what they consider little money they get) that is required.

As a complete defect analysis of the problem, I think that the poor response from your local representative in the area should be investigated. This report may be indicitave of an underlying problem.

If the service system your company is paying for and depending on, your service provider should have been over to the customer's house immediately and then worked through the problem with your company to the customer's satisfaction. After all, that is what you are paying for. Your reputation is so valuable! Customer's can understand mistakes such as you mentioned above, what they have trouble with is the type of service that was reported by the original poster.

Thanks

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

The complaint, unfortunatly, is largely accurate. I am the Operations Manager for this company and happened to intercept a call yesterday from the spa manufacturer saying they received a complaint from the Attorney General's office.

I noticed on the complaint that the spa was working now. Service had been performed, all was well. The customer noticed, however, that the surround stereo system did not have a subwoofer installed at the factory.

The spa came from the manufacturer with a bad control board and no subwoofer. At the same time we were moving into our two new showrooms and new administrative offices as well as new storage facilities. We were in a state of re-adjustment when the customers realized their spa was not working. New phone numbers, files in boxes, etc.

I called the customer yesterday morning and confirmed that the spa was doing well. I instructed our service department to schedule the install of the subwoofer, a minor job.

We dropped the ball but we did pick it up again. Our policy is to sell quality products to satisfied customers. We apologize for any inconvenience.