Complaint Review: California Cycles, Panama City

• Updated: Wed, April 11, 2012

• Reported By: DELINDA — MARIETTA Georgia United States of America
California Cycles, Panama City
13416 FRONT BEACH RD, PANAMA CITY BEACH, Florida United States of America

California Cycles, Panama City Classy Cycle, Inc 2 FRAUDULENT CREDIT CARD CHARGES (MAXING OUT THE CARD), FALSE ACCUSATIONS, & PHYSICAL THREATS PANAMA CITY BEACH, Florida

On April 5th, 2012 I went to California Cycles with my 18 year old son so he could feel secure renting a scooter for the night. He rented a red scooter car for a total of $201.03.  Before leaving the store at approximately 6:45 p.m. he was instructed to bring the vehicle back at 9:30 p.m. for an oil check & to return the vehicle before 10:00 am. the next morning. At that time I pointed out there was no rear view mirror on the passenger side & ask what he should do if he had any mechanical problems.

We were assured the lack of a mirror was not an issue & instructed for him to call the phone number on his key if he had any problems at all during the night. He returned at 9:30 p.m. for the oil check & headed on his way. At approximately 10:45 p.m. the vehicle broke down. It would start but would not move when pressing the gas. He repeatedly called the phone number on the key but voice mail picked up & stated that all mailboxes were full so he was unable to leave a message.

After sitting in a lot several miles away from the store for almost an hour he called the police. The officer advised him that because he could not get through to anyone at California Cycles as he was instructed to do if he had a problem that he could leave the vehicle in the lot & go back to the hotel. The officer called a cab to take him and his girlfriend back to the hotel. The next morning I went with my son to the store intending to get a refund for the money he spent on a vehicle that he drove less than 1 hour total.

We were met with rage from an employee that was not there the previous day. He accused my son of wrecking the vehicle & removing the passenger side rear view mirror. We were shocked because this was not true. He through a bill in our face totaling $978.00 and made threats of harming us if we did not pay. His language was foul and he was very intimidating. We left and called the credit card company to dispute the charge. Today my son was notified that his credit card was maxed out. California Cycles made another charge for $100.00, then made one for $878.

This is my son's first credit card & his limit is $500. They not only maxed it out but made him go over his limit. He contacted the credit card company which is (hopefully) removing these unauthorized charges. The experience has been devastating for both of us. This trip was our first vacation in 9 years and I saved for more than a year so I could take him to Panama City Beach for his senior year spring break. We are both sickened at the gall these people have. Something should be done to stop this type of financial, emotional, and psychological abuse.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/11/2012 02:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/California-Cycles-Panama-City/PANAMA-CITY-BEACH-Florida-32407/California-Cycles-Panama-City-Classy-Cycle-Inc-2-FRAUDULENT-CREDIT-CARD-CHARGES-MAXING-867142. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on California Cycles, Panama City