Complaint Review: Camera Expo

• Submitted: Tue, December 02, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, March 18, 2009

• Reported By:Spotsylvania Virginia
Camera Expo
8135 Vineland Orlando, Florida U.S.A.

Camera Expo Ripoff continues - purchased a GPS marked at $599.99 for $399.99 whose suggested retail price is $349.00! Orlando Florida

*Author of original report: Camera Expo, Orlando, Florida

I visited the store to look at GPS units. The young salesman was pushed aside by a 'con artist' who steered me to a Sony Nav-u NV-U73T DX. (Con artist is my term that I now realize was the case - hind sight is always better than forsight.) When I said the box price of $599.99 was more than I wanted to spend, he reduced it to $499.99. I again said it too much so he said he could reduce it to $399.99 with his boss's approval, Black Friday you know! He called him and received approval.

Meanwhile, I informed him that if I purchased it, I was going on-line to research the unit and if I was not satisfied, I would return it that day. I repeated this several times, he assured me just as many times that I could do that. He also sold me a carrying case at 'half-price' and a Sima lens retractable brush that he said I needed to clean the screen.

Searching on-line, I found that Consumer Reports did not even rate Sony GPS units, the suggested retail price was $349.95 and that ratings of the unit were not good. As I was leaving to return the goods, I noted on the sales slips *No Refunds or Exchanges*.

Returning to the store with the items and sales slips, the con artist was on the telephone and another gentleman came over to ask if I needed help. He was the 'boss'. I got hot under the collar, the boss asked the con artist what he or they should do and the con artist kept telling him you are the 'boss'. I informed them that I would get a full refund or call my credit card company and dispute the statement. It did not seem to matter to them although the 'boss' asked me how long I was going to be in town - perhaps he thought that I would go to the authorities - I just got that idea and perhaps, I will pursue that thought.

I did contact my credit card company and I intend to dispute the charges once they are posted to my account. I, like many others, always assumed that we have three days to return a product to a 'reputable firm'. The con artist assured me many times that I could return the goods! This company needs to be taken to court and put out of business for good with the perpetrators given jail time!

Lester
Spotsylvania, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2008 04:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Camera-Expo/Orlando-Florida-32821/Camera-Expo-Ripoff-continues-purchased-a-GPS-marked-at-59999-for-39999-whose-suggest-397154. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Camera Expo

Camera Expo, Orlando, Florida

AUTHOR: Lap - (U.S.A.)

Orange County, Florida Consumer Fraud office could do nothing but send a copy of my complaint to the business. The reply denying are wrongdoing was signed: Best regards, Management. I am preparing to write a letter to Sony.