Complaint Review: Canon USA

Canon USA
850-K Greenbrier Circle Chesapeake, Virginia United States of America

Canon USA Ordering Online/Shipping Charge Scam Chesapeake , Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Does not meet the seal of approval

*Consumer Comment: Ripoff? Don't think so.

*Consumer Comment: Where is the Ripoff?

I placed an online order with www.usa.canon.com on a Sunday afternoon, May 20, 2012. Less than a half hour later, I changed my mind and went into "My Account" to check the order status and noticed there was no prompt to cancel an existing order. I called the Customer Service number listed on the web site and it was a recorded message saying to call back during regular business hours. I called first thing Monday morning to cancel the order and they said it was not possible to cancel an order and it was already in process anyway. I would have to accept the delivery. I asked why there isn't a prompt to cancel orders online and the representative told me it was not possible to cancel an order at any time. I explained what had happened and after much discussion, they agreed to send a mailing label so that I could return the unwanted item without paying additional shipping. When I received my credit back for the item, I was charged for the shipping fees PLUS tax. At no point was I told that I would be charged for anything. When I called Customer Service back on June 4, 2012, the supervisor told me that under no circumstances would I be refunded the shipping charges plus tax. I was told I should be grateful they didn't charge me to send it back in the first place. I told her I didn't want the item in the first place!I lost $17.03 in the process. All because www.usa.canon.com doesn't have a "cancel order" prompt on their web site. I find this business practice unethical and unprofessional. Basically, they are scamming their customers and collecting shipping charges off of every single order that is placed online.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2012 05:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Canon-USA/Chesapeake-Virginia-23320/Canon-USA-Ordering-OnlineShipping-Charge-Scam-Chesapeake-Virginia-896213. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Canon USA

Does not meet the seal of approval

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

When will people realize that if Team Rebutt does not read the report first, it will not be approved

Ripoff? Don't think so.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

" . I told her I didn't want the item in the first place! "

If that were true, I think it is unlikely that you would have placed an order for the item in the first place.

There are many major sites that do not accept cancellations after the order is placed.   Your assumption that this is unique to Canon is not correct.

Did it ever occur to you that YOU were in fact the cause of this problem?   You don't seem to recognize that it was your indecision that led to your predicament.

Where is the Ripoff?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

You ordered an item.  It was YOUR choice that you no longer wanted the item.  Due to how orders are often processed, it is not uncommon for a site to not have a cancel option.

You seem to think that they are running some sort of scam by charging shipping and inferring that somehow they are pocketing the money as pure profit.  Was it shipped to you...YES.  Do you think that what ever company they used does that for free?  Of course not.  It seems like they were very fair for something that was not their fault.  You were charged shipping only one way, and you were not charged any sort of restocking fee.  So for the $17 you were charged, it probably cost them at least that with the return shipping and labor hours for processing and talking to you.  Isn't the idea of a scam to actually make money?

Perhaps next time you should think about it a little longer before you decide to order something on-line.