Complaint Review: Capital Accounts

• Submitted: Wed, August 27, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, August 28, 2008

• Reported By:Dallas Georgia
Capital Accounts
usecapital.com Nashville, Tennessee U.S.A.

Capital Accounts Spoke with manager who called himself "Adam" typical collection agency threats Nashville Tennessee

*Consumer Suggestion: Jeremy, visit the USPS website to see the difference between "registered" mail, and "certified" mail

*Consumer Suggestion: You can send certified mail to a PO BOX

Received a letter dated 8/15/08 for a dentist office back in California from Capital Accounts out of Nashville. I've received several calls on my personal cell phone during call from an unknown number that only was recognized as from "Tennessee" over the past couple weeks. So I answer the call and it's the company "war dialer" which says please hold while we connect you. I wait and a lady comes on and asks for me, but doesn't say who she is or what company she's calling for until I ask her who is calling. When she tells me she's a calling from Capital Accounts attempting to collect a debt, still not addressing who she actually is, I begin to follow my script for dealing with collection agencies and ask for a street address to send my response via certified register mail. I'm told they have no street address, so I ask to speak with her manager and I'm handed off to "Adam" who proceeds to tell me that she was correct they do not have any street address they give out to receive correspondence at other than their P.O.Box which can not be used for registered mail because of "security".

So not only can I not send a cease & desist letter, as I've done with any other collection agency in the past with great success at cleaning up my past mistakes, I can't send a verification/validation request via certified mail either as my attorney had instructed when I started working at cleaning up my credit and dealing with collection agencies. Neither could I send money in a way that could be tracked *IF* I were in fact to deal with them, which I wouldn't. So I ended the call and contacted the dentists office they were supposedly trying to collect for. They were completely unaware of this information and I'm making arrangements to resolve the issue with them. Of course, according to "Adam" they sent me a letter on July 21st and he insisted that they had already tarnished my credit by reporting this unpaid debt and would continue to do so until I paid them. The lady at the dentist's office however was more than cordial, even remember me and my wife, and let me know that they had sent it to the agency because while they had my new address I had failed to provide them my new phone number so they couldn't reach me. She was very surprised that the collection agency had found my unlisted, unpublished home phone number as well as my personal cell phone number to contact me.

If after things are cleared up with my past dentist's office Capital Accounts continues to attempt to harass me and/or in fact puts a record on my credit report I will deal with accordingly as well as update this report. I've worked too hard over the past 3 years to raise my credit score an average of 150-180 points per year in order to buy my house to let something as trivial as this cause problems.

Jeremy
Dallas, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2008 05:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Capital-Accounts/Nashville-Tennessee-37214/Capital-Accounts-Spoke-with-manager-who-called-himself-Adam-typical-collection-agency-th-367595. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Capital Accounts

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Jeremy,

Many people confuse registered mail with certified mail. Please go to the USPS website to see the difference.

Certified mail with return reciept is the accepted standard for delivery of legal notice.

And, there is NO SUCH THING as a "cease and desist" letter as far as debt collections go. The exact verbage from the FDCPA is CEASE COMMUNICATIONS.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

You can send certified mail to a PO BOX

AUTHOR: J G Shrugged - (U.S.A.)

I've done that before. Registered I can see maybe why not, but certified is a whole other ball game.