Complaint Review: Capital Aquisition Camco

• Submitted: Fri, November 19, 2004
  • Updated: Wed, November 24, 2004

• Reported By:compton California
Capital Aquisition Camco
303 N.Main Street Rockford, Illinois U.S.A.

Capital Aquisition Camco ripoff watch your credit report carefully Rockford Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Thanx, I will take all of your suggestions and put them into use.

*Consumer Comment: To Jason

*Consumer Comment: Jason Continues to Shill for Camco

*Consumer Suggestion: THEY CAN INQUIRE ON YOUR CREDIT FYI

*Consumer Comment: Credit Check

*Consumer Comment: ck credit for free

After dealing with Camco for about a year. You know the usual, them harrassing me and working every nerve in my head. I usually end up hanging up on them. Requesting information, or sending letters requesting not to be contacted, really sends them into hysterical laughters when they ask, "Where did you send the letters to? A P.O Box, they find this quite funny. Telling them you will be tape recording any communications with them usually result in a much less abusive type of conversation.

For example, they stop using the term dead-beat, and telling you what a sorry exuse you are. However, the crust of this complaint is to tell everyone to check your credit report, you maybe suprised to find them doing an individual inquiry on you, as if you are applying for credit with them. They are well aware that many companies know who they are, and they are hoping it generates a red flag on your report. Which is why I am on the pursuit to make them pay.

I have filed a complaint with the A.G, the Federal Trade Commission, and anybody else that I can think of.
The funny thing is, they are so quick to tell me if I can't pay my bills, I should stop borrowing money from the Student Loan Service, wouldn't they think if I borrowed money from them, I must have some education? I am simply stating that as consumers we are obligated to pay for what we buy; however, sometimes either we haven't brought it and get blamed for it, or we did and fell on economic hardship.

Just remember everyone, they only keep their jobs by trying to create a fear in others, sort of like the way the old Gangs or loan sharks use to. One day, they are going to have to answer the phone to find one of their fellow employees on the other end doing the same thing to them. They only get paid according to whom they scared bad enough that day. Also, do not send them a single dime, that will start the clock on a debt again.

FOR CAMCO ONLY: I PAY THE DEBTS I LEGALLY OWE, AND SINCE YOU HAVE DONE A CREDIT INQUIRY ON MY CREDIT REPORT I AM SURE YOU ALREADY KNOW. MY MISSION NOW IS TO MAKE SURE I SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT YOU TO ANYONE I CAN. YOUR EMPLOYEES ARE RUDE, LIARS AND OBVIOUSLY A BIT NAIVE TO WHAT THE AVERAGE CONSUMER KNOWS OR CAN FIND OUT JUST BY A CLICK OF A BUTTON.

Christina
compton, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/19/2004 11:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Capital-Aquisition-Camco/Rockford-Illinois-90220/Capital-Aquisition-Camco-ripoff-watch-your-credit-report-carefully-Rockford-Illinois-118975. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Capital Aquisition Camco

Thanx, I will take all of your suggestions and put them into use.

Kevin,
I want to thank you for your advise. Please know that I will take all of your suggestions and put them into use.

I was just upset that they were making the inquiry as if I were applying for some sort of credit with them and it steamed me just to see their name anywhere on my report, it felt like they were trying to use another tactic into trying to make for an extremely old debt that they cannot even prove it were my debt to begin with. When I asked them to send it to me in writing, you know they only sent a letter with partial number and the name of the company. When I explained to them that if it were a valid debt and wanted it transferred back to the original company, they informed me that it was impossible to do and so forth, therefore, the burden of proof was on them, and they failed to meet their burden.

I am faxing them the cease letter as well as a hard copy through regular mail. We will see what can be shook from those crooks if they keep bothering me.

To Jason

AUTHOR: Christina - (U.S.A.)

First, this has nothing to do with any student loan. Secondly, they cannot do an individual inquiry under false pretense, which they did. They didn't inquire about my credit rating, they did it in hopes to slander my credit in hopes I will make a deal. Anyway Jason I have already contacted a list of people who seem very interested in your activities.

Jason Continues to Shill for Camco

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

Once you have sent Camco a cease and desist letter, certified mail, return receipt requested, they will cease and desist from calling you. (This is particularly true if you cc: the FTC, the Illinois attorney general, and your state's attorney general. Camco knows their actions are quasi-legal at best and, like most cockroaches, they want to avoid attention from people who can squash them).

If they keep calling, send a photocopy of the cease & desist letter AND the return receipt to your state's attorney general, along with a log of the phone calls. You may also want to get equipment to tape phone conversations, so you can have a record of any and all phone calls from Camco. This will result in you making a nice chunk of change from Camco, and may result in them getting banned from calling anyone in your state altogether.

Camco cannot contact your current creditors -- nor will your current creditors contact Camco. A "hard inquiry" has a minimal impact on your FICO score. (In any event, if Camco threatens to make multiple hard inquiries, you should also send a complaint to Transunion. Camco is already banned from reporting to the CRAs because of a pattern of multiple abuses; if they keep this up, they'll be banned from getting credit reports altogether).

Camco will not "start the clock" again on your debts because they cannot report to any credit reporting agencies. No CRA will take a report from Camco because of Camco's history of falsely "re-aging" debts and other abusive practices.

Hopefully this will help.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

THEY CAN INQUIRE ON YOUR CREDIT FYI

AUTHOR: JASON - (U.S.A.)

Christina,

They can inquire on your credit rating as much as they want and legally do it. Because you have a bill, with their office they can inquire to obtain location information and there is nothing illegal about it. You may save yourself some time and realize this fact. Even if the account is past the statue of limitations or in your case even worse, if its a student account (which there are no statue of limitations on) they can inquire as much as they want, statue of limitations means they cannot render a judgement against you in court, it does not mean you do not owe the money, all it means is that they cannot take you to court to legally inforce the bill. It does not mean you will and cannot get collection calls regarding your bills. And as far as you not paying your student loan bills, you are lucky if it is a stafford loan, they can legally garnish your paycheck without going to court regardless of how old the debt is. SO if i were you I would not be to judgemental and know the law before you get so complaint happy.

AUTHOR: Christina - (U.S.A.)

I am putting a response I recieved after I filed my complaint with the FTC. I am doing so in hopes of helping others go ahead and file their complaints. They sent me an attachment as well as a general information email. I know this is long; however, I am doing this in hopes of bringing more light to a dim looking situation. As consumers we have rights and we have the legal right to exercise our rights as consumers and advocates. I am also looking into writing to the news media about this, bringing more light to a very horrible company that cares little about the code of ethics and infringing on consumer rights. I just hope my posting this will benifit someone.

Response: This is in response to your recent complaint to the Federal Trade Commission. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits unfair, deceptive and abusive practices by independent debt collection agencies. It gives you certain rights against such agencies and applies regardless of the circumstances of the debt. You should be aware, however, that the debt collector may still use legal remedies to collect a debt if you legitimately owe it.

For example, the Act gives you the right to require a debt collector to provide proof of the debt. The debt collector must tell you of this right as well as what to do if you dispute all or any portion of the debt. The Act also allows you to write to the debt collector requesting that all further contacts cease. The collector must abide by your request in most circumstances, but he can still re-contact you one more time to inform you that specific steps are being taken. In addition, unless the debt collector has permission from you or a court, the collector may not tell anyone other than your spouse or parent (if the consumer is a minor) about the debt.

The Act also prohibits harassment, such as repeated telephone calls at inconvenient times, the use or threat of violence, or the use of obscene or profane language. Should a debt collector violate the Act, you may sue and recover attorney's fees, actual costs and damages, and a penalty of up to one thousand dollars.

You may decide to write to the debt collector in order to explain your situation, complain, or exercise your rights under the Act. If you do so, be sure to keep a copy for yourself and to send the letter by certified mail with a return receipt requested. You should also keep any letters that you get.

You have the right to sue a debt collector in a state or federal court within one year from the date you believe the law was violated. If you win you may recover money for the damages you suffered as well as court costs and attorney's fees.

If you are thinking about suing a debt collector, or if you have already received papers indicating that you have been sued or are being summoned to court concerning your debt, you should consider seeking legal advice, either from your state Attorney General, a local legal aid or consumer protection agency, or a private attorney. You should also ask about your state's laws concerning debt collection and creditors' rights.

The Commission does not intervene in private disputes. The Commission does, however, conduct investigations of companies that appear to be engaged in a pattern of law violations. Consumer complaints such as yours help us to identify such violators. Therefore, the information and comments you have given us are useful and appreciated.

This was the attachment and now I will paste the general response:
Thank you for visiting the FTC's web page and for using our NEW electronic Talk To Us form. Here's what happened to your information after
you sent it to us:

One of our consumer counselors reviewed the information you sent us. If it was related to the FTC's law enforcement responsibilities, we
entered it into our shared law enforcement data system. We share this data system with law enforcement agencies throughout the United States
and Canada. Attached is your electronic response, which includes your reference number. Any enclosures can be found at www.FTC.GOV under the
News Releases, Publications, Speeches option.

Information from consumers like you helps Federal, State and Local authorities investigate possible illegal practices and enforce our
laws. Someone from the Federal Trade Commission or another law enforcement agency may contact you if they need additional information to help them
in an investigation.

Thank you for using our Talk To Us form, and please continue to use the FTC's web page, www.ftc.gov, to get free information to help you

Credit Check

AUTHOR: Christina - (U.S.A.)

Mike you are so right thanks for reminding me. Since finding this site I have filed a few complaint; however, some defending Camco on this board has actually helped my case. I did a copy and paste of one of the messages, about them making credit inquiries as an attempt to go around that nasty FTC ruling about the third party rule. You know how they are not supposed to contact 3rd parties to slander you or your credit. Well they think they are so smart about finding ways to put it on your credit report. So I also wrote the Credit reporting companies to explain to them what this Camco is and why they have done a credit inquiry, which I also explained is there way of trying to put a red flag on your report for other credit lenders in an attempt to be contacted by one of them to inquire about. I am sure Fraud is going to be added to their crime outfits long list of laws they contine to break or if not break then bend completely. My suggestion is if they have found their way onto your credit report you can even go online and put a personal message for other credit lenders to understand that this was an attempt to extort money from me. Which, brings to mind getting the police and postmaster general.

christina,

think december is the scheduled roll out date for californians free annual credit report check up. not sure how it supposed to work yet, but i'm many of us will be checking.

other states begin at different times, and some may already have their free credit check in place.

think its due to all the errors that maybe in our reports & we don't bother checking because its been -until now- a pay for service to find out.