Complaint Review: Capital Construction Services

• Reported By: Poop on you! — Toano Virginia
Capital Construction Services
130 Buford Rd Richmond, Virginia United States of America

Capital Construction Services Extortion and Fraud! Richmond, Virginia

My house was destroyed by defective quest pipe, a defective Quest fitting broke and flooded my house. I had no idea that I had this defective product in my house.I was devastated, cried for months, in addition, knew nothing about how things should proceed from the day of my loss. A few days later I met the Serv Pro manager at my house. Little did I know that he had contacted  Pete Norwood of Capital Construction Services to magically arrive at my house as well. I was introduced to Mr. Norwood by Mr. Morgan of Serv Pro. Mr Norwood ended up to be  a Casualty Chaser, much like an ambulance chaser but much worse! There was nothing legal about any of his actions. He would go on to commit insurance fraud, personal fraud and extortion. I just did not know this at the time. My insurance claims adjuster was present during this introduction and I assumed that my claims adjuster was also introducing me to Mr. Norwood as the three of them met me in my driveway. The Serv Pro manager told me that he knew of Pete Norwood's fine work and that Pete had done work for him personally and that he would "take care of me".  I felt security in having this recommendation from the Serv Pro manager,  with my claims adjuster standing by his side. I assumed that Capital Construction Services was above board as a contractor, however,I still followed up by calling the contractors licensing board and found no complaints. The next week,Mr. Norwood called to meet me at my house again. He stated that he needed to get into the house to create an estimate for repairs but before  he could let his workmen enter my house to assess and estimate repairs that I needed to sign a permisssion form. He explained that I needed to allow his workman on my property in order for his insurance to cover them at my residence. He then presented me with a barely legible half sheet of paper on this clip board. I had difficulty reading it. In addition, I explained that I did not have my reading glasses either, but even if I did have them  I wouldn't have been able to read it. The copy was  faint with drop outs.  Pete stated that they were having problems with the copier at the office and he would send me another copy later but that I was only signing to give permission for his workers to enter my house to assess damages and they could not enter my house without permission. I signed the half sheet of paper. Important to know.... This later becomes a four page contract that I never saw or signed! My loss happened on August 27th,2011 and my house sat with no repairs until January 2012, although I continually contacted Capital Construction in attempt to get their estimate and accounting of the replacement materials going into my house and a cost for this restoration. I needed to know the cost of reconstruction because I needed to know if my insurance company's claim settlement  amount would cove Capital's  charges.I continued to make trips to my house and to Capital Construction office to choose carpet, cabinets, tile etc. I walked room by room giving specifics of replacement materials in each room.I had done everything that was required in order for Capital Construction to provide me with a cost estimate in order to sign a contract and begin construction. They continued to drag their feet, Mr. Norwood gave me one excuse after another. First, it was that he was still a little off with the insurance company on the heating and air and soon get the cost sheet to me. I was then told that hunting season had begun and it would be difficult to get the workman to work. I was then told that the holidays were coming up and it would be hard to get people out there to work, but they would soon get the cost sheet to me.It seemed that my claims adjuster and Mr. Norwood were communicating quite regularly but no one was communicating with me. I was attempting to find out about the total settlement amount, be paid the settlement, then pay Mr. Norwood for the  work and materials I requested to go back into my house. I seemed to be kept purposefully out of the communication loop. Finally I told Mr. Norwood that if I di not have an accounting an cost estimate  by  the end of the first week in January that I was finding someone else to restore my house. I went up to the house to find that Mr. Norwood had installed a thin subfloor at my house that was not the thickness I originally had in the house and he had no intentions of overlaying  with another plyboard layer. Two tubs were installed upstairs, that were the wrong color. The subfloor sloped in areas and "gave" between joists. I immediately called him and told Pete that I was not entering into a contract for restoring my house and to please come and remove the tub/shower units from my house. He then informed me that I had already signed a contract with him! I told him that I had not. He then said he would send me a copy of it or I could sign another one if I liked. In the mail the next week, I receive a one page contract and a bill for 25,000. I sent by certified letter a response to this. I told him that I would not pay him anything until the actual work that he had done had been verified, validated and a fair cost for any suitable work was assessed and this would take a week or two to do. The next week, I receive a packet from Capital's collection attorney which contained this time,a four page fraudulent contract with my signature at the bottom, a legal notice of a lein that had been placed on my property  and a copy of the lein recorded at the couthouse and a letter that stated the lien would not be released until I made payment in the amount of  25,000 that Pete Norwood requested. After review of Pete's claimed work, many items listed were falsified meaning never done, or overcharged for. The claims adjuster and another company attempted to verify and validate Pete's claimed work. Pete was expecting insurance payments for these fraudulent claims and payment from me. It was determined that a payment of 14,000 should be paid to Capital Construction from my settlement money, advice from my claims adjuster. Part of this 14,000 was for laying the subfloor that had to be fixed and done again? I never saw any indication that 14,000 worth of work was done on my house! The insurance company paid him an additional 3,000. I was never told why the 3,000 was paid. Here it was almost March and my house was still a mess. I needed to move on. I hired a wonderful contractor by the name of Mike Fee. He was an angel sent from heaven. He rebuilt my house with the funds I had left and did a great job! I have no use for Capital Construction. They are restoration crooks!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/18/2013 08:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Capital-Construction-Services/Richmond-Virginia-23235/Capital-Construction-Services-Extortion-and-Fraud-Richmond-Virginia-1035919. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Capital Construction Services