Complaint Review: Capital First

• Updated: Tue, July 09, 2002

• Reported By:
Capital First
Miami, Florida U.S.A.

Capital First, First Capital, Advantage Capital Consumer rip-off fraud $29.95 for garbage almost got me for another $49.95 + $99.95 Miami Florida

These guys called me a minimum of 7 times a day for 2 weeks letting the phone ring for 4 whole minutes once before I finally answered. On my Caller ID the number apppeared as North Dade, Florida 305-370-1211.

Anyway I got this line from a guy claiming to be Jim Taylor from Capital One. Whose operator # was 789456 that I had been preapproved to recieve their $2500 "Capital One" Visa. Well I've heard of Capital One and had recently been turned down for a card so I felt safe. This guy went on for few minutes about all the benefits like 0% APR, No fee for cash advances, etc.

When I said I would consider his offer. He got really pushy and said I had to act within 72 hours so he talked me into a check by phone transaction and promised I would only be charged 29.95 and I would recieve my card with the information to activate it in 10 to 14 days. Instead I recieve a packet full of junk and a lousy application. I also read that they intended to debit my checking account for $49.95 and $99.95 for processing and membership in their club. I NEVER authorized this. So I go to my bank and they had only taken the $29.95. I was able to put a stop on all EFT's preventing anymore unauthorized debits.

These guys were slick.
1. They actually called themselves Capital One not Capital First

2. "Jim Taylor" Hmmmm inspired by musician James Taylor maybe.

3. Operator # 789456 - look at the numerical keypad on the far right of your keyboard and read the top two rows of numbers.

4. My bank statement did not say Capital First. The debit on my account was made by 866-892-6018.

Deny these bastards any further access to your checking account.and stop Electronic Fund Transfers. This will help insure the only debits that come through are hand written drafts with your signature. Then fill out a fraud affidavit and the bank will reverse the transaction for you. You only have 60 days to do so.

Capital First will give you the run around for weeks to get you past the 60 day cutoff so don't bother trying to contact them.

No legit credit card company will ever phone you and request account numbers and automatic debits.

If you feel you are being scammed get as much of their info as you can, but divulge NONE of your own.
Then tell them they are commiting a federal offense and you have every intention of contacting the FBI and the FTC, take note of how quickly they hang up.

Garr
Putnam, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/09/2002 01:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Capital-First/Miami-Florida/Capital-First-First-Capital-Advantage-Capital-Consumer-rip-off-fraud-2995-for-garbage-24257. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Capital First