breathing

• Updated: Thu, November 02, 2006

• Reported By:in New York
Capital Grants Association
capitalgrantsassociation.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Capital Grants Association attempted to withdraw $299 even after I cancelled my order ripoff internet

*Author of original report: even more twists

*Author of original report: customer service rep calls

Recently I looked into buying a foreclosed home. The mortgage broker asked if I had looked into any grants to cover down payment or closing costs. Being new to the internet I searched for info.

I came across a website claiming to confirm if I qualified for any grants. The next day I recieved a phone call from a Mike Forbes from Capital Grants Association. He explained that their company would file the paperwork for any grants that I qualify for. He said that if I paid a $299 fee I could use their services for three years.

This Mike Forbes claimed that the company guaranteed I would recieve a grant for at least $5,000 or I would get my $299 back minus a $29.95 fee for the shipping and handling cost to ship my 40 some page application.

Since I was unaware of scams like this and since a legitimate mortgage broker made me aware of grants initially, I gave my financial info. After doing some research I became very suspicious and called this representative back to cancel. I got in touch with him immediately and he assured me that my cancellation was in order.

A couple of weeks later I reviewed my bank statement and sure enough there was a insufficient funds fee due to the company trying to withdraw the funds anyway. I contacted the numbers I had initially as well as the number on the transaction and havent heard anything yet. Now I am worried that they will continue to make attempts to withdraw the money having read the other report on this site.

nieve
in, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/01/2006 11:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Capital-Grants-Association/nationwide/Capital-Grants-Association-attempted-to-withdraw-299-even-after-I-cancelled-my-order-ripo-218719. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Capital Grants Association

even more twists

AUTHOR: Angela - (U.S.A.)

My bank called me, after the cust. service rep.. to give me a number to dispute the charge. When I called that number, I was given another number to call. The rep. from the second number said, again, that they had no record of my cancellation.

When I explained that I called the person who originally set up the transaction, he explained I should have recieved the last number when I purchased the services in the first place. He said that the other person was in the sales dept. and was only interested in making the sale. That in order to cancel the order I needed to contact HIS dept. How interesting that the rep. that called me first thing this morning didnt say any of that, and again assured me that my order was definitely cancelled.

Now this final person, who claims to really have the power to cancel, tells me that as soon as they recieve the insufficient funds notice from my bank that they can really cancel. He apologized several times for the inconvience and directed me to call back within the next two business days to confirm that the purchase was cancelled. Hopefully this will be resolved, if not, I will update again.

customer service rep calls

AUTHOR: Angela - (U.S.A.)

On Nov. 2, 2006 after leaving messages about filing this report as well as a report to Better Business Bureau, a customer service rep. called me. He called even before their alleged 9-5 business hours,claiming that they simply didnt have my cancellation in their records. I asked for reassurance that their company wouldnt make any more attempts to withdraw the money and the rep. assured me this wouldnt happen. However it is also very interesting that when I attempted to go to their website to find an address the page no longer existed or was unavailable. I had just gone to the site last week.