Complaint Review: Capital One

• Reported By: Scotty — Dublin Georgia
Capital One
Internet USA

Capital One Fraudulent Accounts Fraudulent Accounts Internet

Someone opened a Capital One account in my name a year and a half ago. They maxed out the card in a month. I didn't know anything about it until I ran my credit report 4 months ago. They account was not delinquent, but payments had not been made and it was maxed out.

I reported it to Capital One and did the paperwork they requested. I was told the account was closed and that the charges would be removed from my credit report in 30-60 days. When I ran my credit report again after 3 months, I then had the account listed as delinquent and my credit score had plummeted. When I called Capital One, the Fraud division informed me that I was responsible for the charges. They offered me no alternatives for disputing their results. When I called back the same day I was again told that the account was closed and I was not responsible for the charges.

Another month passed and I received a bill in the mail (the first piece of correspondence I received from Capital One requesting payment) that said I was 5 months delinquent. I called them again with the same results.

Ultimately, I decided to pay them off because I was tired of dealing with it. They refused to remove it from my credit score, but they did remove the late fees they applied while I was disputing the account.

If you receive "preapproved" offers from Capital One, call them immediately and ask for them to stop sending them. I received offers from them on a daily basis telling me open an account. I shredded all of them I received, but I have not doubt that this is how someone opened the account in my name. Capital One is a predatory credit agency with not ethical dilemmas about ruining people's lives.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2014 07:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Capital-One/internet/Capital-One-Fraudulent-Accounts-Fraudulent-Accounts-Internet-1143491. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Capital One