Complaint Review: Capital.Net

• Submitted: Mon, August 27, 2001
  • Updated: Mon, August 27, 2001

• Reported By:Albany NY
Albany, New York U.S.A.

Rip-off billing by Capital.Net too much trouble

If you you live in the Capital District (of New York state), my advice would be to avoid dealing with Capital.Net. In Spring of 2000, I decided to switch my internet service to a cable connection. I went to the EmpireOne office (my provider) who had recently been acquired by either Capital.Net or LogicalNet, CapitalNet's parent company (the connections between these compaies are rather complex).

I asked the employee if I could purchase only one more month of internet service and he said yes. I paid for the month and requested that the service be cancelled after that month. The employee said that this arrangement would be no problem.

About two weeks later, I got the cable service and removed the modem from my computer. About five or six months later, I recieved a bill from Capital.Net for six months of service. Thinking it a mistake (it was, after all, from Capital.Net, not EmpireOne) I ignored it. This was mistake on my part; more bills were forthcoming.

Around October, I decided I should do something about it. I mailed them a polite letter stating my case and including a copy of their bill. I did not hear from them for a month and a half, and when I did, It was letter threatening to send the matter to a collection agency (it was fairly clear that they had ignored my letter). I sent a letter to the employee mentioned in the collection letter. Again, they ignored this correspondence.

The next letter was from a collection agency they had referred the debt to. I sent a letter to them. They might have actually read it, becuse I've heard nothing from them for this entire year. This is not the only time they have done this.

My father and my friend have both been misbilled by this company. My friend repetedly tried to contact them and recieved roughly the same treatment as I did. The only way to do business with this organization would be to keep complete and records of the services you requested and the payments you made. With so many internet service providers to choose from, I don't think Capital.Net is worth that trouble.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CapitalNet/Albany-New-York/Rip-off-billing-by-CapitalNet-too-much-trouble-6383. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Capital.Net