Complaint Review: Car Toys

• Submitted: Tue, December 14, 1999
  • Updated: Sat, April 19, 2003

• Reported By:Beaverton OR
Car Toys
12195 SW Canyon Road Beaverton, Oregon U.S.A.

Car Stereo rip-off at Car Toys Beaverton Oregon

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Ways of what you can do.

I bought an Alpine cd player from Car Toys in September. After installation it cost me over 300.00 dollars. It quit working in November.

Then, one morning my car would not start. When I took it to them they said that it was my alternator. I took it to a mechanic, and he told me that it was the stereo that was shorting out the battery.

I took it back to Car Toys, and they ran a check on it, and agreed that it was the stereo. They sent me to an Alpine repair shop because after 30 days it is out of their hands. After being in the shop for a week, they called and told me that they no longer repaired Alpines, and they haven't for the last two years.

I called Car Toys the same day and asked to speak with a manager. I told him I was very upset, and he said he would get it taken care of and call me when he had a resolution.

It has been almost a week, and I have heard nothing. I have a year warranty on the stereo, and I am just wondering why they can't just replace it.

It is the worst service I have ever had, and I think that I deserve immediate attention..

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/14/1999 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Car-Toys/Beaverton-Oregon-97005/Car-Stereo-rip-off-at-Car-Toys-Beaverton-Oregon-999. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Car Toys

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Ways of what you can do.

AUTHOR: Kwang - (U.S.A.)

Here are some tips of what you can do. Seems like to me that the Manager got caught up with other things and completely forgot or havent been around with your particular problem. If similar experiences happen again, you should call the store and talk to the manager directly, be pleasant, because if you start to show frustration and start to vent at him, hes liable to shut you down and not help you.

There are a few different ways to handle this issue:

1) This is probably the best solution, you can take your car in for a service at Car Toys. If they deem that its the radios or installation at fault, ask them to send it in for repairs. By consumer law, retail companies are required to give you a 30 day in store replacement guarantee on electronic equipments. Car Toys policy is to pull this CD player out of your car, and send it to get repaired (usually takes 2 months). They will also reinstall this when the unit arrives back.

2) This is if you cannot wait the 2 month time for the repair. Have Car Toys pull the unit. Call the manufacturer for the nearest authorized repair facility. When the service is done, have Car Toys reinstall it. This might cost a few dollars as some repair shops charge for the repair.

As a former employee of Car Toys, I know their policies very well. Hope this helps with your porblems if they occur again.