Complaint Review: CarHop Auto Sales

• Updated: Mon, May 21, 2012

• Reported By: RippedOff7822 — Blaine Minnesota United States of America
CarHop Auto Sales
10061 Central Ave NE Blaine, Minnesota United States of America

CarHop Auto Sales UAC Universal Acceptance Bad Car with Clean Title Blaine, Minnesota

*UPDATE Employee: CarHop would like to help.

*Consumer Suggestion: Why not pay them a visit?

*Consumer Comment: Common misconception.

*Consumer Comment: How?

I was sold a flood damaged vehicle with a clean title. When I bought the car I thought maybe the previous owner lived on a dirt road, upon recent major electrical issues it was further looked at and has evidence of prior water damage. It can be dangerous to have a flood damaged vehicle as they usually have electrical issues. I have had to drive home from work on more than one occasion with the windows not working and stuck up in hot weather, the blower motor for ventialtion didn't work, the air bag would not activate, and the blinkers didn't work. I have tried to contact CarHop for several days now and they are completely ignoring me. They won't respond to emails and have lied about returning my call. The warranty department is the only contact I have made and they refuse to give me contact information for anyone that might possibly be able to address the issue. If I had paid a couple hundred bucks for the vehicle I would expect issues, but charging me $8000 plus interest for a vehicle that should have a salvage title is deceitful. Thanks CarHop for putting a single mother and her 6 year old in danger. CarHop is not the place to build credit, they just take advantage of suckers like me!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/18/2012 12:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CarHop-Auto-Sales/Blaine-Minnesota-55434/CarHop-Auto-Sales-UAC-Universal-Acceptance-Bad-Car-with-Clean-Title-Blaine-Minnesota-884700. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CarHop Auto Sales

CarHop would like to help.

AUTHOR: CarHop Auto Sales & Financing - (United States of America)

We would like to help resolve your concerns. If we knew more about your situation and got additional feedback, we could address your concerns and work to improve your experience. You can reach us at feedback@carhop.com or toll free at 1-800-662-2746.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Why not pay them a visit?

AUTHOR: Nicole - (United States of America)

I mean, you obviously had to be there and test drive the car at a location.  Go there.  If you honestly feel like you got ripped off vs not doing responsible research, then go get them!

The price of the car has NO correlation to how well the car functions.  My husband and I purchased a used Audi for around $15k and it's been the absolute best car we've ever had, while my girlfriend just paid roughly $30k for a brand new car, and within the first 6 months it's broken down 4 times on the highway, belts have busted, it's been an unbelievable experience.

What do you mean by the airbag would not "activate"?  I'm sure you don't mean deploy, because there's honestly no way you could know that short of slamming head on into a tree. Does the fan not work completely?  Or does you A/C not work?  Maybe it just needs recharged?  Since you've said you were able to get a hold of the warranty department, how were you able to do that?  Was it luck?  What is the reasoning they give you for not providing you with more information?  Have you checked over ALL of your paperwork to see if you have any other numbers you can try?

In regards to the title being salvage or not, here's what doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; if the "flood" damage (because we still can't be 100% sure it was in a flood) was extensive enough to specifically cause all of the problems you've mentioned, the dealership should have made you aware of these issues UNLESS you purchased the car "AS IS".  Unfortunately, if you purchased the car in "AS IS" condition, you are screwed.

Just looking at the specific CarHop's website, I'm seeing their warranty info as well as a 3 day money back promise.  I'm guessing you didn't notice the "flood" damage within 3 days, right?  That part sucks because 3 days is fairly quick.  I see that you should have a limited warranty.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say electrical issues are probably not covered.  Did you get your AutoCheck report?

The thing that stinks is honestly, someone could have driven it into a lake, not gotten it fixed, and traded it in to CarHop without the insurance company or state knowing a thing.  Now if it was in fact in a "flood", any mechanic with half a brain would see the issues.

Basically, lesson learned in part.  Do your homework first and foremost.  At this point, if you legitimately feel like you've been wronged, don't let them get away with anything and don't do a half assed job.  Go down there.  Speak to a person.  Demand to speak to the manager.  But before you go completely bad mouthing them, keep in mind you are not their only customer.  Hopefully things work out for you!!! Keep us posted!!

Common misconception.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

" If I had paid a couple hundred bucks for the vehicle I would expect issues, but charging me $8000 plus interest for a vehicle that should have a salvage title is deceitful.  "

A lot of people post similar things on this site.   Where did you get the idea that the price you pay for a vehicle has anything to do with its quality?   It doesn't.

When you negotiate the purchase of a vehicle, the price you pay is however much the salesman was able to get you to agree to pay.   This car would have been in exactly the same condition had you paid $3,000 or $12,000 for it.   Ultimately, it's your decision how much it's worth.

The only way that you really know how much to pay for a vehicle is to spend a few minutes to find out it's market value on the Internet, then have it checked out by a trusted mechanic BEFORE signing on the dotted line.   There is no substitute for doing your homework.   If you don't, you're just hoping that the car you're paying a ridiculous price for will not be a lemon.

How?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

the air bag would not activate,

- How in the world did you test this out?