Complaint Review: CarMax

• Submitted: Mon, February 16, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, June 09, 2009

• Reported By:Woodbridge Virginia
CarMax
45210 Towlern Place Sterling, Virginia U.S.A.

CarMax Sold car as having options it didn't have. Refuses to refund difference in value. Sterling, Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Why didnt you test drive it?

In July of 2006, I purchased a 2005 Mini Cooper S from Carmax, Dulles. This car was advertised on their website and on the window sticker as having leather seats and cruise control. According to the MINI dealership, these items added $1450 to the value of the car when it was new. The car had 7k miles on it when I got it.

On February 7th, 2009, I had my car appraised for trade in at the MINI dealership and learned at that time that the seats were not real leather. I was very surprised. On February 8th, I had the same car reappraised at CarMax and the report issued did not incorrectly identify the seats as leather. So, now I have the window sticker from 2006, the appraisal report from 2009, both with the same VIN on them, and seemingly describing two different cars.

I saw on this website where another buyer had purchased the same year/make/model of car six months earlier with the same issue, and after a lot of runaround, CarMax did cut him a check for the difference in value.

/Auto-Dealers/CarMax-Inc-Aka-CarMa/carmax-inc-aka-carmax-auto-P7DD9.htm

CarMax representatives gave me a lot of different answers (hassle) to my question about this, none of them involved a refund. I am in the process of trying to recover via my state's office of consumer affairs, and will hire an attorney if that does not bring satisfaction.

It is a shame that consumers with similar complaints against the same company on this site can not identify themselves to each other somehow. There are 2 other complaints on this site with misrepresentation of leather seats by CarMax. We would have a great case to argue fraud and receive putative damages in addition to the overcharges and attorney's fees if we could get in touch with each other.

Traci
Woodbridge, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2009 11:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CarMax/Sterling-Virginia-20165/CarMax-Sold-car-as-having-options-it-didnt-have-Refuses-to-refund-difference-in-value-424650. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CarMax

Why didnt you test drive it?

AUTHOR: Booninator - (U.S.A.)

You should have checked the car out before you bought it. You make it sound as though you sent them a check and had it delivered to your house. If you couldn't tell the difference between this, that and the other it must be the worlds best pleather seats. either that, or the buyer forgot to click leather when he did the second appraisal. Either way, it does not add that much to an appraisal I hate to tell you. That is for the MSRP on a brand new one. And that is a bloated price sent out by the factory not a real world price. In actuality, your claims are frivolous and you are trying to make something out of nothing to get something for free or make some money you don't deserve. I have to wait on people like you in my restaurant every day and I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it.