• Report: #205982

• Submitted: Sun, August 13, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, August 14, 2006

• Reported By:Bristol Pennsylvania
CarMax
10201 Philadelphia White Marsh, Maryland U.S.A.

CarMax Ripoff Not trustworthy, fell apart in a month White Marsh Maryland

*Consumer Comment: I think OP has a point

*Author of original report: You're right

*Consumer Suggestion: Then why are you bashing CarMax?

*Consumer Suggestion: Then why are you bashing CarMax?

My husband bought a 2001 Nissan from CarMax (White Marsh, MD) on October 1, 2004. It had about 23,000 miles on it. I had no say in the buying process at that time but it sounded like he had made a good decision.

Almost a month after he bought the car, my husband noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. We asked a few car-savvy friends and relatives about the sound, but they had little to offer. So my husband set up an appointment with the closest CarMax (Laurel, MD) to have the car checked out.

On the way to the Laurel Carmax on November 1, exactly one month after buying the car, the wheel fell off.

Yes. The wheel fell off the car. Went rolling right down the road. Luckily the CarMax was in sight and a police officer quickly came to his aid. There was damage to the body of the car, of course, and the description on the receipt reads "checked vehicle found all wheel lug studs snapped whell fell off and car was slid on lower control arm. Damaged right front wheel hub and backing plate."

That description means very little to me- all that sticks out in my mind is that the wheel fell of the car! Because the car was miraculously still under the limited warranty, we received the repairs for free. We also received a "loaner" for the duration of the repairs- about ten days, I believe.

So I can't complain that CarMax definitely "ripped us off" or gave us the run-around. All I know is that the wheel fell off the car and as a mechanic at my local tire center told me, "That shouldn't have happened."

Lisa
Bristol, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2006 09:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CarMax/White-Marsh-Maryland-21162/CarMax-Ripoff-Not-trustworthy-fell-apart-in-a-month-White-Marsh-Maryland-205982. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CarMax

Hugh, I think OP has a real gripe here.

Doesn't CarMax brag about their pre-sale checks? Certainly this would involve pulling the wheels and checking things like brakes, pads, rotors, etc. If they did this, and overtightened the lugs, it would indeed be their fault. If they didn't, then their claims about such thorough checks are lies.

I think that while I'm happy for OP that CM took care of this problem, I'm not sure it wasn't their doing to begin with. I've certainly read numerous other complaints about CMs so-called mechanics on ROR.

You're right

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

You're right- it does sound like CarMax treated us very fairly, and in reality, they did what they could to solve the problem.

My case here is not in the service I received from CarMax, but the car itself. I know that no test is perfect, but with a 100-some point inspection they run on all the cars they have for sale, I would hope that something like this would be noticed. However, not being a car expert, I understand if it is not testable or predictable.

So, it could have happened to anyone, but I wanted to let other people know about my experience with CarMax- I didn't get "ripped off" per se, but I don't feel that the car I received was worth the price we paid.

Thanks for your comments.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Then why are you bashing CarMax?

AUTHOR: Hugh - (U.S.A.)

It sounds like they treated you very fairly. Who knows why the wheel came off? Perhaps the previous owner over-tightened the lug nuts, perhaps it was a defect in the wheel studs from the factory, or perhaps your husband ran into a bad pothole or over a curb.

In any case, unless you can tie this directly to some action by CarMax you own them a retraction on this web site.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Then why are you bashing CarMax?

AUTHOR: Hugh - (U.S.A.)