Complaint Review: CarMax

• Updated: Wed, June 25, 2014

• Reported By: Joe — Mount Holly North Carolina
CarMax
Nationwide USA

CarMax Disappointed Repair Customer –Mechanics failure and irresponsibility cost me $1007 – Gastonia, North Carolina Nationwide

I purchased a 2005 Silverado Z71 in June 2012. First, during the transport from Chattanooga, TN to Gastonia, NC (Charlotte area) they scratched the roof of the truck and took 3 days to repair it. However, after the repair the truck was beautiful. The vehicle was well maintained from the previous owner and is still babied to this day. We and our family purchased over 6 vehicles over the past 10 years. I have always recommended CarMax to my friends and family.

During the first week in August that year, the check engine light came on. Less than a week after the 30 day warranty the shop stated it was a “Knock Sensor”.  Knock Sensors are not an easy fix as the intake manifold must be removed to replace the two sensors and the wiring harness. The job was completed, only after negotiating the fees for the job. The job was quoted as $690. CarMax repeated that the truck was out of warranty, one week out of warranty. [continued below]....

..... We negotiated to pay 50/50 for the bill. I was out $345.

About 10 months later, the check engine light came on again. I took it to a local auto parts chain store where they offer free diagnostics. It was the Knock Sensors again. I immediately went to my CarMax receipt and, of course they only warranty parts and labor for 6 months/6000 miles. Through the next few months the light came on and off, almost routinely every other tank of gas. I considered it could be bad fuel, being new to NC; I kept searching for new gas stations.

Seeing that the knock sensors were recently placed, I began researching via Silverado/Sierra web forums the causes of knock sensor codes. I also located an extremely reliable local mechanic to maintain and repair all my family’s vehicles and they were perplexed over the sensors coding again. During late spring of this year, the check engine light came back on and refused to go off. I replaced the Mass Air Flow but to no avail. I cleaned the intake, but to no avail. My last choice was to go through the cost of having the sensors replaced, once again.

Once my mechanic took on the task, the cause was very visible. The wiring harness from the knock sensors that CarMax replaced was crushed between the intake gasket and the cylinder heads. An obvious and well known issue, as described on the Silverado Forum for people who have multiple issues with Knock Sensors. The job was completed correctly for $1007.

I secured the old knock sensor parts, including the crushed wiring harness, which began to fray and short out against the cylinder head and the gasket showing the wear.

Needless to say, I went back to CarMax in Gastonia, NC where I was greeted with smiles and firm handshake from one of the ladies working as a “Customer Advisor”. She heard my issue and told me she’d check with her manager and call me by the end of the day. And as guessed, I received the call an a very fake polite and condescending denial was given. Her poor excuse was hidden behind, Geesh, we would have like to of had an opportunity to correct our issue, but since you didn’t come back to us, we will not honor my request to get reimbursed for their mechanics failure to correctly install the sensors. It was an obvious good choice not to return to CarMax, with hindsight in mind, they would have covered up for their mechanic irresponsibility, I’m certain.

Taking it up the ranks to Customer Relations, I received my second denial from a lady who described herself as a temporary helper from their Richmond, VA location. She was to have spoken with other ‘more experienced’ relations expert and get back to me by Monday. Here it is Wednesday and no call back. So I called back and received a firmer denial with no one further to speak with other than a simple manager…

In getting their bad news, I have no other choice but to take it up to Social Media. Copy and paste, here we go…

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/25/2014 11:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CarMax/nationwide/CarMax-Disappointed-Repair-Customer-Mechanics-failure-and-irresponsibility-cost-me-10-1157404. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CarMax