Complaint Review: Carbonite

• Reported By: StoneWall — Houston Texas United States of America
Carbonite
177 Huntington Ave, Boston MA 02115 Internet United States of America

Carbonite IS A SCAM!!! Internet

Carbonite is a scam! I had the service for nearly eight months. Initially, it took over 30 days to upload the 170 gigs of information to their website. I was under the impression that Carbonite would not arbitrarily delete files from my account once they were uploaded. Unfortunately, that is not true. I think I downloaded a virus and something happened to my hard drive and I could not access my old files. I reinstalled Windows in an effort to correct the problem. It did not. I no longer had room on my hard drive to download the 170 gigs of information from Carbonite all at once. So, I viewed the files as needed from the Carbonite website. Two days ago, I logged into my account and realized that there were only 7 gigs of information presently available. I contacted the Tech Support and they casually told me that all of my information was gone and it was my fault for not downloading it back to my computer or backing up my files. I told them, "YOU ARE MY BACKUP!" The tech guy, Eric (who refused to provide his last name or employee number) said that the files were not guaranteed and that any changes on my computer will reflect in Carbonite. I argued that this policy does not make sense. If I accidently erased a document from my computer and only realized the mistake 60 days later, Carbonite would not have a copy of the file? Eric said, "That is correct." My next question was clear, how can a company delete my files without any notice or permission? Again, Eric confirmed Carbonite's idiotic practice that they reserve the right to remove any file from any account at any time. What!? Ultimately, I lost a decade worth of pictures, videos, undergrad and graduate school papers/research, poetry, and a novel that I had written. All gone! There should be a class action suit brought against Carbonite for misrepresenting themselves as an information backup company. Let the petition begin with me. Carbonite is a scam!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/14/2012 09:43 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carbonite/internet/Carbonite-IS-A-SCAM-Internet-941122. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carbonite