Complaint Review: Care.com

• Submitted: Sun, November 18, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, November 19, 2012

• Reported By: Phillip — Plano Texas United States of America
Care.com

Care.com buried auto renewal in Ts and Cs automatic renewal with no notification use caution Internet

*Author of original report: Interesting

*UPDATE Employee: Care.com Automatic Renewal

I do like care.com's service.

However, I signed up from a promo I received in an email. The signup for said specifically 1 month service only (it had the option of ongoing monthly service on the form but only chose one month). I remember that I reviewed the page very carefully and there was nothing about automatic rewnewal anywhere on the page (although it was probably buried somewhere in a microscopic T&Cs page).

Anyway, they charged my credit card for a 4 months with no email notification of the charges (pretty shady if you ask me). I work two jobs and have an autistic child so I am on the go most of the time so it took me a few billing cycles to catch it. They adjusted 1 month but still owe me $120 dollars for 3 months.

My signup was a promo which I am sure was apart of some A/B marketing test, so there is no way to see what was on their page at the time unless I took legal action and demanded the actual signup page. But in any case, they could see that I hadn't logged in for a few months and should have done the right thing and adjusted everything except the first month that I had agreed to. I did call them and strongly suggest that when they bill people, they send an email like other reputable companies that auto bill.

Bad form care.com.. Your billing should be highly visible to the client and should be emailed every time they charge. I use several other sites that practice this policy and I appreciate them notifying me when they charge me.

I know why they do what they do but if people should be fully aware you're billing them. My advice to care.com is to be legit and notify the client every time a reoccuring billing takes place. Care.com should hold itself to a higher standard.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/18/2012 10:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carecom/internet/Carecom-buried-auto-renewal-in-Ts-and-Cs-automatic-renewal-with-no-notification-use-caut-970950. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Care.com

Interesting

AUTHOR: Phillip - (United States of America)

I find it interesting that Care.com has staff designated to handle and or answer the public reports of their shady policies instead of simply assigning the task of correcting the matter of silently billing credit cards to their programmers. It is obvious to me that this policy makes them a LOT of money. BTW, they subsequently have a zero refund policy.

Their rebuttle was less than 48 hours after I posted my initial review of them and it's apparent to me that this is a hot button issue with them. This policy is no better than a smut or dating web site. Care giving websites that are associated with medical professionals should hold themselves to a higher standard.

To the customer service representative: I appreciate your concern. However, I will not be using care.com again.

Shame on care.com. I hope my review has helped others avoid being overbilled.

Care.com Automatic Renewal

AUTHOR: caredotcom - (United States of America)

Hi Phillip,

My name is Zanna and I am a part of the Membercare team at Care.com I'm sorry for your experience on our site so far. Care.com does have an automatic renewal policy that is explained in our Term of Use. The policy is also stated on our enrollment page, directly below the subscription options. We are happy to provide copies of our enrollment page upon request. If you signed up during a promotion we do not keep copies of those pages specifically on hand but, the information about automatic renewal will always be located in the area I described.

I am sorry for how things have gone so for you on Care.com. I do hope it has not ruined your opinion of us. If you ever decide to try our services again I have included an article below the top ten things to be aware of on the site. Hopefully you can find it helpful in the future.

Thank you for all of your feedback and good luck with you search!

Zanna