Complaint Review: Career Education Corparation

Career Education Corparation

Career Education Corparation, CTU Online EXTREME RIP OFF, Internet

*General Comment: No problems here

*General Comment: No problems here

I wanted to get my masters degree but the demands of my full time job did not allow it. I found CTU online to be interesting due to the fact that they "claimed" to be part of the actual CTU.  I quickly enrolled and signed papers. I enrolled in my first class which I got an A.  I didnt feel I learned anything but I figured it was just an easy management class since I have been in management(My Major was Information Systems/Security).

I got to my next class, and I started to catch on to what this school was.  They make you verify your paper for authenticity.  Problem is that if you reference alot of sources, your authenticity score gets worse. The school's standard is 30% max of sited sources.  I decided to test this theory out.  I started copying papers from other people and things and I would get 75% , 95%.  And I would still get an A.

I finally decided that this was enough and wanted to unenroll.  When that time came, I could not get ahold of anyone.  I emailed, called, and I did everything.  I signed onto the class to tell the teacher I was withdrawing from the school.  I continued to call and it wasnt until I took the school off of my fasfa before they could take anymore money that they called me.  They tried to charge me $200+ dollars for signing on and "Demanded" payment.  They threatened to sue me.  I told them to please be my guest.

After a month, a collection agency started calling me asking me to pay.  I told the agency that I will pay on one condition.  That I see something in writing that I signed say that I agree to pay x amount of dollars for signing onto the school before unenrolling.  They guy said ok.  Called back a month later and asked me to pay again.  I told him exactly what I told him before.  He said that I should call the school.  I told that It wasnt my job to prove it, but its on CTU. And the fact is that they might be representing a fraudulent company trying to get money from me.  If they continued to call me without emailing, faxing, or regular mailing me something saying that I agreed to pay this, I will file for harassment, write to the BBB, and possible sue.

I have not heard a peep out of them since.  It used to be on my credit report, but it magically is removed.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/13/2009 09:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Career-Education-Corparation/internet/Career-Education-Corparation-CTU-Online-EXTREME-RIP-OFF-Internet-494383. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Career Education Corparation

#1 General Comment

No problems here

AUTHOR: Naomi - (USA)

I'm a current student of CTU, I transferred from another online university that's basically like what you described.  I haven't had any financial issues with CTU, but ever since I've been at CTU, my experience has been nothing short than amazing, so great that I referred a few students from the online university I was going to and their satisfied with the switch as well.

One of the things I've learned about online learning is that you also have to teach yourself, not simply stop at the assigned task.  It is the responsibility of the student to go the extra mile to learn more about their studies.  And in regards to the Originality Verification, generally the instructors set it at about 24%.  I've checked myself to see if someone else's response may be higher and it was, but I can't see their grade so I have no way of knowing if their getting credit for plagiarizing.  But if you watch the way it's cited and use your own words rather than copy and paste like others try to do, it should not affect the score.

I'm very sorry you had a bad experience, I unfortunately know the feeling.  Don't give up on your Master's.

#2 General Comment

No problems here

AUTHOR: Naomi - (USA)

I'm a current student of CTU, I transferred from another online university that's basically like what you described.  But ever since I've been at CTU, my experience has been nothing short than amazing.  So great that I referred a few students from the online university I was going to and their satisfied with the switch as well.

One of the things I've learned about online learning is that you also have to teach and instruct yourself, not just what your giving in your assignments.  There should be some responsibility on the student to go the extra mile to learn more about their studies.  And in regards to the Originality Verification, generally the instructors set it at about 24%.  I've checked myself to see if someone else response may be higher and it was, but I can't see their grade so I have no way of knowing if their getting the proper scores.  But if you watch the way it's cited and use your own words, it should not affect the score too much.

I'm very sorry you had a bad experience, I unfortunately know the feeling.