Complaint Review: Caribbean Cruise Lines

• Updated: Thu, July 14, 2011

• Reported By: GotDuped — Ontario Canada
Caribbean Cruise Lines
Fort Lauderdale, Florida United States of America

Caribbean Cruise Lines Scammed me into giving my credit card information Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Two weeks ago, I went to a local Ribfest event.  They had a draw for a free cruise vacation.  Naturally, I filled out a ballot and wrote my address, and phone numbers.  Two weeks later, I received a call telling me that I won a free cruise to the Bahamas.  At first, I was extremely skeptical but the caller told me that the draw took place at a Ribfest.  That completely disarmed me.  They quickly began telling me all the wonderful stuff about their cruise ship and how it was luxurious and such.  I honestly believed that I would be a great vacation.  They told me I could secure the offer for 18 months if I paid a port fee of $118.  Stupidly, I agreed and told them all my credit card information and they proceeded to charge my credit card.

Then they mentioned that I could extend my vacation and proceeded to make an offer on side trips elsewhere.  It was all really fast and they kept bouncing me to different people.  Finally, they offered a price ($900+) and I agreed to pay it.  I bought into it so much that I even suggested ways of paying for the full cost even though the payment would exceed my credit limit.  Thank goodness I don't have a US Debit Account because I would have given them that information as well.

Then my mom came home and I told her that I won a free vacation.  To my absolute horror, she told me that it was a scam and that they have been trying to reach me for days.  I called my credit card company to tell them I was involved in a scam and to cancel the $118.  However, the payment was already processed.  I also decided to look up the travel agency and to my horror, I found numerous internet pages describing the company as a scam.  I called back the agency so they could explain themselves and they had the gall to "reconfirm" my credit card information.  At that point, I got fed up and demanded a full refund.  In a very abrasive voice, they told me I would get a refund in a week.  I believe this was a hollow promise.

I found out that the company tried to charge my credit card multiple times in order to get the $900 payment.  They only managed to charge much less due to my low credit limit.  In the end, I will be getting a new credit card and I'm hoping that I can dispute the charges if I have not been refunded.  I hope it will be easy, despite the fact that everything happened over the phone and I received no confirmation e-mail regarding the travel arrangements.

As a young adult, I am angry that I believed their hype and scammed into this sophisticated operation.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/14/2011 03:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Caribbean-Cruise-Lines/Fort-Lauderdale-Florida-/Caribbean-Cruise-Lines-Scammed-me-into-giving-my-credit-card-information-Fort-Lauderdale-753042. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Caribbean Cruise Lines