Complaint Review

Little Elm Texas United States of America
Name:
Carmax
Address:
12115 Lyndon B. Johnson Fwy, Garland, TX 75041 Garland, Texas United States of America Phone:

Category:
Auto Dealers

Carmax Sold me a car that had a salvaged title only this information was not disclosed to me. Garland, Texas

*Consumer Comment: CARMAX REFUND

*Consumer Comment: Not out of options...

*Consumer Comment: May not be a rip-off

I purchased my 2003 Toyota Corolla in July of 2004 from Carmax in Garland, Texas.  When I purhcased the car it had approximately 25,000 miles on it and was in great condition.  At no time during the purchase of this car was I worried that the car had ever been wrecked or had damage to it since I purchased it from a dealership who claims they do not buy cars that have ever been wrecked.  I though I was totally safe.  Well I have had this same car for over 8 years and it was a wonderful car.  I put another 220,000 miles on it and had to do minimal repairs.  But just this weekend I took my car into a dealership to try and trade it in for a new vehicle.  The salesman of course ran a carfax on the corolla and to my extreme surprise was told that my car had been wrecked prior to my purchase and has a salvaged title.  Apparently it had been wrecked when it only had 15 miles on it.  I am not sure if Carmax was aware of this or not, but they sold the car to me and now my car is worthless in the eyes of a car dealership.  Might I mention that no where on my title does it say salvaged.  My corolla could probably be sold for over 2 thousand but a dealership would only offer me 100 dollars.  All I could do was laught at this.  Needless to say I still have my car and now am very worried I won't get anything for it.  I feel completely ripped off.  There has to be a better system.  My car is a great car, but is now worthless because Carmax did not do a better job at researching the history of this car.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2013 10:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carmax/Garland-Texas-75041/Carmax-Sold-me-a-car-that-had-a-salvaged-title-only-this-information-was-not-disclosed-to-1012271. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carmax

CARMAX REFUND

AUTHOR: BobL - (United States of America)

Carmax is one of the most reputable companies in the world.  They do not sell cars which have been involved in accidents.  If a car is sold by mistake they will buy it back.  Simply go to your Carmax dealer, show your purchase sales contract, show them the Carfax  They will give you the full current value of the car.

Then file a Report on this site about how great they are.

I had a friend with the same problem - only it was Carmax who first contacted him and asked that he resell the car back to them as it had been sold by mistake and they did not want anyone to believe that they were your typical used-car sales outlet.  My friend loved the car (a BMW if I remember correctly) and he refused to sell it back.  As I recall Carmax rewrote the sales contract and gave him a generous rebate.  To protect their reputation the new contract indicated that it was NOT a Carmax retail sale.

Not out of options...

AUTHOR: Batman - (United States of America)

First, if the car is in good condition, sell it yourself. Blue book on a 2003, even with 245,000 miles is still around 3,000, so you could sell it for 2,000 easy, especially considering the title looks good and the car ran fine for so long. Just be up front on the issue and nobody will care if the car is really worth the 2K to a dealership that you claim it is if it weren't for the title issue.

Second, you weren't ripped off. Resale value can't be guaranteed on used cars and putting another 220,000 over 9 years means you've gotten MORE than your money's worth, no matter what you paid for it. That's a LOT of miles and you could have been out that extra 2K on repairs easy had the car been problematic... a transmission here, a catalytic converter there, it wouldn't have taken much over 9 years for you to have paid a lot more in repairs... you got good time and miles from that car. Heck, it could have died completely at 160K miles and it would've owed you nothing.

Look at the bright side. You're probably going to be comparing every car you ever own to that Corolla in terms of reliability and value, so give the original dealers a break.

Last, and it may be stretch, but two things to consider about your original purchase. 1. Maybe they didn't know. It was a used car and someone put 25K on it after it was wrecked, so the dealer may have been fooled just like you and 2. maybe they did know and the car was discounted accordingly. In other words, maybe you paid less for the car because of the title and they simply didn't communicate that to you as well as they should have. I'm sure you thought you were getting a deal when you bought it, thinking back, was the deal too good compared to the competition at the time? If so, maybe that's why.

Whatever the case, at the end of the day, the dealer sold you a car at a price you thought fair and the car went much further than most with "minimal repairs" and though a dealership might not take it, you can still sell it yourself... you can't really ask for much more. Be happy. You're doing alright...

May not be a rip-off

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

If you were "completely ripped off" you would not have had eight "wonderful" years with the car. Carfax reports are not always current. The staff at CarMax may have been unaware of the car's history.
MORE FEATURED REPORTS