Complaint Review: Carmax

• Updated: Thu, July 03, 2014

• Reported By: Thorman — Indianapolis Indiana
Carmax
Nationwide USA

Carmax Sold bad car, totaled it when they serviced it Nationwide

I bought a Honda Accord. There was IMMEDIATELY a noise on cold start that was never mentioned to me. I brought in in for service under the 30 day warranty. They fixed it for free (good deal right?). I drove the car to Florida a week later. In southern TN at 2 AM, the car makes a horrendous noise and is no longer operable. After a completely awful night, Carmax refused to help me out or give me a rental to complete my trip (apparently against their policy, so they have managers that violate their own policies). I had the car towed to a Honda dealership; they told me that whoever had worked on it last (Carmax) had left bolts out of the engine head and only hand tightened the rest. The engine was totaled. They did provide a rental and cover my hotel and rental car costs, but only after I presented them with the report from Honda. After a lot of back and forth (and a ruined vacation), Carmax offered me $2000 less than what I paid for the car. I had to wait for the car to be shipped back to Indianapolis and demand that I get my money back, $400 of which I never got back ($400, really?). I finally decided it was worth $400 to never have to deal with Carmax again. I took my money elsewhere and bought the exact same make and model car from a better dealership.  Carmax employees (even the many different sales and service managers I spoke with) did not seem to care when I told them I was going to take my business elsewhere.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2014 10:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carmax/nationwide/Carmax-Sold-bad-car-totaled-it-when-they-serviced-it-Nationwide-1159325. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carmax