• Report: #220395

• Submitted: Mon, November 13, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, December 14, 2006

• Reported By:Seadrift Texas
Carnival Cruise Lines
3655 NW 87TH AVENUE Miami, Florida U.S.A.

Carnival Cruise Lines TAKES YOU SOMEPLACE ELSE WITHOUT WARNING!!! Miami Florida

*Consumer Comment: Happens on most cruise lines

*Consumer Comment: No pleasure on Ecstacy

*Consumer Comment: Kidnapped is an overly strong word

*Author of original report: Carnival Cruise, Miami, FL -Kidnapped

*Consumer Comment: I reiterate!

*Consumer Suggestion: Look at the map.

*Consumer Comment: Changing Ports

*Consumer Comment: Gravy Train Profits? I don't think so

*Consumer Suggestion: A Shrewd Scam

*Consumer Comment: I was a victim also

*Consumer Comment: Unfortunately this is legal

For our anniversary and my husband and my birthdays, we booked a 4 day cruise to Cozumel, Mexico, on Carnival Cruise Line to embark from Galveston, Texas, on Nov. 9th and return today. All was well...we got book on, our room and began our adventure. Friday evening when our room was cleaned and made ready for sleeping, our Carnival Caper showed our destination to be PROGRESSO, Mexico, not COZUMEL, Mexico. I suspected it was a misprint but it was not.

Around noon on Friday, the Aussie Guy, cruise director announced that the ship was having engine trouble and could not take us to Cozumel, we were diverting to Progresso. After much discussion with other passengers, we discovered that Carnival Cruise lines often and on a regular basis, do this switching of ports. You pay to go to Cozumel and end up in Progresso. (Can you say Deceptive Trade Practices??!!) One lady stated it was her fourth try to cruise to Cozumel and has ended up in Progresso every time. Folks - I am sorry to say it BUT Progresso is nothing compared to Cozumel - you cannot snorkle, the peir you dock at has nothing around it for miles except a few shops. I paid for Cozumel and got Progresso. I took the Travel Guard Insurance - It does not pay for ship breakage!!! So don't even bother with that either.

Are there any attorneys out there that could sobpena the mechanical records and ship's log and see just how often Carnival is ripping its customers off?? The cruise line did refund $50.00 per person off your Ship and Shore card but I do not think that was enough for the disappointment and being hijacked to a place I did not even want to go visit!!! You are on that ship and cannot get off!!! I suspect they knew the entire time they were sailing for Progresso and knew no one in their right mind wanted to go to Progresso so they came up with this ruse. Anyway, don't sail on Carnival - save your money and FLY!!!

Ginger
Seadrift, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/13/2006 04:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carnival-Cruise-Lines/Miami-Florida-99178-2428/Carnival-Cruise-Lines-TAKES-YOU-SOMEPLACE-ELSE-WITHOUT-WARNING-Miami-Florida-220395. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carnival Cruise Lines

Happens on most cruise lines

AUTHOR: Stacy - (U.S.A.)

Unfortunately, this happens on most cruise ships. There are numerous reasons why a ship will not or cannot go to a particular port call on any given cruise date. Whether they communicate that well with us - the passengers - or not is another story entirely. It can range from civil unrest in that area, disease outbreak, weather conditions, TIDE conditions (most commonly affects cruise ports) or any other reason that is deemed a health or safety issue.

I have cruised on Holland America, Princess, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Costa, Seabourn and Cunard. I have been on a total of 37 cruises in 16 years. I have had my port(s) of call changed or completely eliminated at least 14 or 15 times.

The cruise lines say that you have purchased a "cruise" off of them and that the ports of call are "extra bonuses". If a particular destination is extremely important to you - so much so that if you do not go there then your entire cruise is "ruined" then you need to just fly to that destination, get a hotel room and stay there.

Now as soon as this is posted I will get told repeatedly that I am a cruise line employee, that I work for Carnival or something like that. I do NOT work for any cruise lines in any capacity at all. I just enjoy cruising more than any other type of vacations.

No pleasure on Ecstacy

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

My spouse and I were on the 9 November cruise. We went on that particular cruise to go snokling in Cozumel. To our dismay, we brought our own gear for nothing. We not only didn't get to see clear blue water and tropical fish, there are no reefs to snorkel around.

We watched in shock as they fueled for another trip to Cozumel that very afternoon, as we were waiting to debark from our trip to Cozumel{Progresso}. Engine trouble forgotten...Convenient.

People beware, we wasted vacation days, money and came home more stressed than when we left. It will be a long time before we can afford another vacation. Please don't make the mistake we did.

AUTHOR: Marvette - (U.S.A.)

It amazes me that some people are so quick to come the the defense of this cruise line...well it may surprise you but this so called diverted trip was all planned. You see were told about it or the announcement was made around 10am-ish and Stuart Dunn, our Cruise Director, told us in the Blue Sapphire around 11:15am that this news of us not going to Cozumel just happened moments ago...but if you look in your Capers for Friday morning...it was printed that we were going to Progresso. (yes and I have the proof)! It was all planned and we are the victims used to support a straved out , bad economony...called Progresso! Carnival should be ashamed...so my friends... what does your the terms and conditions say...about Scamming Cruise Lines?

AUTHOR: Marvette - (U.S.A.)

Kidnapped is an overly strong word

AUTHOR: Jamie - (U.S.A.)

However, their explanation makes zero sense. How did they know the boat would make it to Progresso but not Cozumel? That part of it is BS

Carnival Cruise, Miami, FL -Kidnapped

AUTHOR: Ginger - (U.S.A.)

Well! I do appreciate your comments Peter or Pete from Pony, Al! I did read my travel documents and was aware this might happen. However, having stated that, you expect a company as large as Carnival to pull regular maintenance on their equipment. Also it is the frequency of this same scenerio happening at Carnival that needs investigated!! You may think I am an idiot but the feeling is mutual. By the way, are you an employee of Carnival??!! Cause you sure are holding their party line!! Bob Dickinson, CEO of Carnival did an interview with a trade magazine and stated "customer's are king". Too bad he did not mean it!

I reiterate!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Because Carnival disclosed their policy of port changes well in advance of your sailing dates, they were not in violation of any type of law nor could you claim that you "did not know" that they could do this. So, undertaking any kind of "legal action" on this will be fruitless - a waste of time and money. Why not take the time and money you'd otherwise spend in court and take that trip to Cozumel instead, since obviously it is very important to you? And in the future, I highly recommend reading the terms and conditions of your cruise trip, which is provided ahead of time with your tickets and itinerary. You will save yourself any unanswered questions later, as well as looking like a fool trying to fight something that so happens to be completely legal.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Look at the map.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Assuming the ship started out going in a straight line from Galveston, TX to Cozumel, Mexico, it would actually be a longer trip to divert to Progreso. And the difference is small anyway. Since the ship was able to cross the whole Gulf of Mexico, it could've made it to Cozumel.

Changing Ports

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

All cruise lines (not just Carnival) reserve the right to change ports at anytime. This is usually done due to weather or mechanical problems. It is noted right in the terms and conditions on your ticket. They also do not have to compensate you for this as Carnival did.

Gravy Train Profits? I don't think so

AUTHOR: Victor - (U.S.A.)

Let's see. Port charges usually run a few dollars a person per port. So let's say Port charges run twenty dollars a person at Cozumel and ten at Progresso and Carnival gives each person on the cruise $50 dollars off their Sign and Sail card. So Carnival saves ten dollars on port charges per person and pays out fifty per person. Yeah, quite a profit scam Carnival runs!

#13 Consumer Suggestion

A Shrewd Scam

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Carnival knows exactly what they're doing. The port fees at Progresso are substantially lower than at Cozumel. Carnival is pocketing the difference. Pure gravy profit..

I was a victim also

AUTHOR: Craig - (U.S.A.)

I was on this cruise with you it seems (please see my report). I would be willing to work with you on a deceptive trade practice suit against Carnival. I heard rumors that one of the governors aids was on this cruise and she suggested contacting the attorney general.

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Read your Carnival travel documents that were provided before your cruise. This includes all of the terms and conditions that you, either knowingly or unknowingly, agreed to at the time of booking. The cruise line reserves the right to change or cancel ports of call at any time for any reason.

That may not seem fair when it happens, but they DID make everyone aware of this policy depending on if people bothered to read their travel contracts at the time of booking. Unfortunately since this is legal, a lawsuit would not help. How about spreading the word that this is common practice for Carnival, and encouraging people to use other cruiselines who do not engage in this practice? That might be your best bet. If enough people boycott Carnival, they will be forced to provide better service and repair/replace their ships if they would like to continue to stay in business.