Complaint Review: Carnival Cruise Lines

• Submitted: Sun, May 29, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, May 29, 2005

• Reported By:Sachse Texas
Carnival Cruise Lines
www.carnival.com Miami, Florida U.S.A.

Carnival Cruise Lines, Carnival Broken Promises and No Past Guest Privileges if you use Mastercard Points Miami Florida

I have had a Capital One Carnival Mastercard for several years earning points to go toward the purchase of a Carnival cruise. We booked our cruise through the promotions department of Carnival as required to use our points (through Vanessa). Vanessa assured us that we only need pay our deposit and the balance was due 4/26/05 which we did.

By going through the promotions department, I was told I was not eligible to receive any past guest pricing or cabin upgrades afforded by a direct booking (this was very unfair - but, what were we to do?), so we paid full fare for two cabins. She also said to check back and that at anytime the price of our cruise dropped, they would adjust our rate.

When I paid the cruise off (a week before the deadline), I expected the lower Carnival website advertised price of $849 pp instead of the $889 pp we had been charged. We have two rooms booked for the Elation on 7/10/05, one for the adults and one for our children.

I have called customer service, but they insist that I need to talk to the promotions department, which closes at 5:30 CST. I am never home in time to do so, so I have sent two detailed emails through the Carnival Customer Service email link from their website asking if they could just give us the difference in an onboard credit to make it easier and to email me their response as I am seldom at home.

They have ignored my requests altogether. I would like for Carnival to do the ethical thing and provide us with the difference of $160 in onboard credits.

For those who are thinking about signing up for the Sea Miles Carnival Mastercard, beware of the extra costs involved in being able to use your "points" for a discount -- especially if you are a past guest. You obviously will not be afforded the better past guest pricing or cabin upgrades as they promote.

Sachse, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2005 08:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carnival-Cruise-Lines/Miami-Florida/Carnival-Cruise-Lines-Carnival-Broken-Promises-and-No-Past-Guest-Privileges-if-you-use-Ma-144372. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carnival Cruise Lines