Complaint Review: Carolyne Barry Creative Entertainment Acting Workshop

*Consumer Comment: Great Classes

*UPDATE Employee: So....

*Consumer Comment: Support for Carolyne Barry

*Consumer Comment: Not a rip-off

*Author of original report: Carolyne Barry Creative Entertainment Acting Workshop Carolyne Barry cold-hearted, not understanding, Money grabber, Scammer, Collection agency, short tempered Los Angeles, California

*Consumer Comment: Carolyne Barry

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Responding to vindictive accusations

Want to Join Los Angeles, CA -  Caroylne's Barry Entertainment Acting Workshop?

**** READ MY REVIEW 1st *****

It all started in the month of January, 2009 when I went to visit her and start my classes. Because her classes were a bit expensive for my budget, I asked if I may get a discount or if she could work with me in any way.  She simply said "NO" and didn't even care to show any emotion. She is a cold-hearted person.  Anyways, I went ahead and accepted, I had no other choice because I really needed this classes. My classes started in February. I LOVED these classes. I was taking Intro To Acting and Intro to Improv! (Though Carolyne was not teaching these, she hires other teachers to teach her acting classes).

So 6 months pass by, and summer begins. Carolyne recommended I take the Mesiner class and that it would help me with my acting. I hesitated, but she pushed me into it. (She is really good at pushing you to get into her classes).  She is a great saleswoman. I went ahead with the class. So the class started in the summer of 2009 and it was a $500 class for like 5 weeks. Expensive as hell.  Again, I asked her that at the moment my work had cut my hours and I really needed financial help. She again, didn't really care and told me I should maybe go borrow money from my friends, or family member to pay for the class.  Just shows how much she cares for her "STUDENTS", right? Even though she was a total selfish person I said okay.  So I shamelessly went and asked my parents if I could borrow some money for my acting class. I felt so uncomfortable asking my parents to help me, when I knew they barely had money to support themselves. :(

So I enrolled in the class and starting going. I went for 1 week, then a week later I got in a car accident and my car got totaled. So at this point my car expenses were more important that this class. Without my car, I had no way to get to class, which was all the way in the valley on the other side of town! So I called up Carolyne and told her what had happened she coldly replied "I'm Sorry." What would you expect from a cold-hearted person? I said I don't know what to do. She told me contact the class members and see if anyone who lives near me can give me a ride. So I went ahead and did that. No one in the class lived near me, so it was practically impossible for me to find a way to get there.

Then she told me to start taking a bus there and I told her due to my schedule at my work it would be really hard for me to catch a bus there it would take me 2-3 hours to get to the Valley with a BUS and I'd barely make the class. Then she told me that I'd at least make it for the last 30 minutes of class or so. I told her that that wouldn't help me and I wouldn't learn anything and she told me if I was a SERIOUS ACTOR and I CARED about my CAREER that I'd go, EVEN for 30 minutes. I was like you can't learn anything in the last 30 minutes! I then asked her if I could get a refund back, and she yelled over the phone and said "NO! I don't give refunds." I was like that's really unfair due to my situation you need to understand what I'm going through.

I told her that I will be taking more classes in the fall if you can just help me just right now. Then I was like you only care about the money. She went off on me saying "I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE F***ING MONEY, DON'T YOU DARE F***ING SAY THAT, IF YOU DON'T PAY ME I WILL TAKE TO YOU TO COLLECTION AGENCY AND F**K YOUR CREDIT." Those were her exact words and she hung up. Two months later I get a letter from the collection agency that because I put a stop payment on the check, according to the STATE and Federal Law I'm at and am responsible for the payment.

This is the experience I had with Carolyne Barry Creative Entertainment Acting and Commercial Workshop.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/26/2009 12:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carolyne-Barry-Creative-Entertainment-Acting-Workshop/Los-Angeles-California-/Carolyne-Barry-Creative-Entertainment-Acting-Workshop-Carolyne-Barry-cold-hearted-not-und-500820. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carolyne Barry Creative Entertainment Acting Workshop

The Real Carolyne Barry - From a Long Time Student

AUTHOR: Ariana - ()

While it is unfortunate that you had such a negative experience with Carolyne Barry, I think it's very telling that yours is the only complaint filed against her, (save one or two comments in agreement). This is particularly remarkable in light of the fact that she's been in business for 20+ years. Your experience with Carolyne is certainly not the one I’ve had and it doesn’t seem to be for the majority of those responding to your report either.

I'd like to reiterate what most everyone else has said - she offers top notch workshops at a VERY affordable rate, she cares very much about her students and has proven time and time again to be very willing to help her students be able to take the classes they want to.

It's no secret that Carolyne is a hard-driving businesswoman – she has to be. She has every right to be. This is not only her livelihood, this is her life. Carolyne pours herself into her work and I know just how much she values her students and the quality of her work. She is, however, running a business and, like any other business person, has to push when it comes to shove.

I don't think anyone can argue that her workshops are among the best in LA, especially with all of the Backstage and other awards to back that up.  Personally, I’ve taken five of her workshops over the past five years and she’s always accommodated any financial help I’ve needed. She has been extremely flexible with me in that regard. I am so grateful to her for not only how much I've learned, but also the wonderful connections I've made in this industry. Having Carolyne as a mentor and an ally is a true blessing in this business. She has helped me numerous times, both professionally and personally, and I know that any recommendation I get from Carolyne, whether it be a workshop or a hairdresser, is going to be extremely well vetted and up to her very high standards. I trust her implicitly.

My advice to anyone starting out in LA is to get in classes ASAP and there is no better place to start than with Carolyne Barry. And, yes, while she can be quite assertive as a teacher and a businesswoman, I have absolutely NO DOUBT that she ALWAYS has her students’ best interest at heart. She is not a scammer, she is not money hungry - she is a hard working woman who has built a brand around her name and has every right to protect and uphold that.

I sincerely hope that anyone who has stumbled across your report has taken a moment to read further and see the avalanche of support for Carolyne and her business ethics. I would hate for anyone to miss out on the tremendous opportunities she offers because of one or two complaints. So, for anyone reading this who is considering taking her classes, please know that you will be doing yourself a major favor by working with Carolyne Barry.  You’ll be in good hands.

Supportive and Generous

AUTHOR: markv - ()

I've been with studying with Carolynes studio for the past 2 years. Yes, I may admit she may be a bit agressive but it is all in good intention. I came in with low confidence and was a bit broke in taking her classes. She worked with me every step of the way. It was more of a 'Parental' Push that got me taking all her classes. I have not regretted any of it and thankful that she pushed me because if it was me, I may have made excuses. She has been a great mentor to me and has been very supportive and generous enough to work through my hardships. As far as Joshua Bitton goes, I just know that he expects every student to be professional and take the classes as seriously as he does. No excuses, no bullshit. You want to be an actor, you should do everything it takes to make your career happen. Things can be worked out, only if YOU want it to happen.

Carolyne is Fair & Honest

AUTHOR: TS - ()

My experience with Carolyne has been wonderful, which is why I wanted to make this note on here. I've been working with her over the past 6 months and I've found her to be fair and honest, on top of being a great acting coach. She's always been forthright with the payments and that's never been an issue at all. She's an amazing person with a great heart, and I highly recommend her classes. Whatever the opposite of a rip off is that's what her classes are...the best investment of my life!

Carolyne is Fair, Wise, and Busy

AUTHOR: Peter Moffatt - ()

My knowledge of Carolyne began as a casual student, and after several months of study, now I see her as a friend and mentor. Her insight into people is so strong that she can quickly configure what steps are necessary to help the student become what they want to be.

There are so many flakey actors taking classes, it would be terrible business to constantly stoop through their hoops. Students are not coddled or able to get free discounts for classes, because if she did that for every flakey actor taking a class, she'd be a broke pushover. She's a wisebusinesswoman because of it.

Josh, you weren't singled out because of the setback, the 'no refunds' policy is emboldened on the website. The faith she places in her students grows because of their commitment. It's not the amount of classes taken, but the effort put into them. You didn't want to go for even 30 minutes, even if you got what you needed out of it. If any one of us could not make it to class, the refund would not be there.

The backlash you recieved might have been rude, but depending on the interpreter, it could still be fair. Everyone is playing by the same rules, and she did not bend them for you.

CAROLYNE BARRY ROCKS

AUTHOR: LA Director - (United States of America)

I'm a commercial director, living and working in LA for many years now.  On occasion, I will speak at one of Carolyne's classes.  Here's the deal, Carolyne is a no-nonsense pro.  She gives her students amazing tools for their career, specifically their commercial career (where everyone starts).  I wouldn't say Carolyne's style is cold, uncaring... but it's not all warm and fuzzy either.  Believe me, there are enough warm fuzzy goofy acting classes out there that make you feel "safe" and "good" but do very little for your acting technique or motivate you to grow as an actor.  Carolyne is valuable because she won't BS you, she'll make you better.  I'd like to suggest that many of the young actors today can't take a creative note without getting flustered.  This is a tough business, you are an adult, you need to develop a thicker skin and embrace feedback... especially the negative.

The gentleman who started this thread has a lot of growing up to do in this industry veteran's opinion.  He starts out by saying Carolyne wouldn't give him a discount (and how cold hearted this is).  The next time you go to your doctor, or the movies, see if you can get a discount when you explain your budget problems to them.  Carolyne is trying to run a business, she has built up a brand and is entitled to set a value for it.  Also, to be fair, perhaps Carolyne's program isn't for everybody.  I took a directors course years ago (unrelated to Carolyne Barry), dropped $1,000, went to perhaps 3 classes before I finally conceded this guy was teaching me very little and not worth the stressful drive into the valley.  I did ask for money back minus the 3 classes I attended, he did not give it to me, I was upset... but at the end of the day shrugged it off as a learning experience.  Even though I felt I had done my research, including meeting the teacher for coffee to interview him etc. it wasn't for me.  Sh** happens.  Take responsibility and move on, don't bash a seasoned professional who simply didn't take on your problems as her own.  That's my opinion anyway.  I truly wish the complainers in this group the best of luck in their careers, and hope that perhaps in reading the many responses here they can take something positive with them into the future.

For those of you considering taking an acting class via Carolyne Barry, check out her site, ask around, do your research, talk to her directly and make an informed decision.  As many agents, casting directors, directors, and seasoned actors will tell you, she is one of the best acting teachers in Los Angeles.

In Agreement with Young Man's Statement

AUTHOR: Sharon - (United States of America)

Hello,

Although I do not know the exact dynamics of the situation that occurred with the young man and Ms. Barry, I don't disagree with many of the things he states. Ms. Barry is a very cold hearted, insulting and condescending woman to her students who for some reason or another accept her words of "advice". She claims that she is offering constructive criticism which is absolute nonsense. Moreover, I agree that she is solely after money based upon my own experiences. The "payment plan" is silly as you do not pay as you go, but rather post date a check that is cashed in seven or 14 days.

The fact is that no matter what anyone says, she will say she is not wrong, is doing business correctly and that "backstage" has named her a great acting coach. She may very well be a good coach, but her pedagogy is off the mark and in no way shape or form the way an educated person should behave towards a group of adults.

In Agreement with Young Man's Statement

AUTHOR: Sharon - (United States of America)

Hello,

Great Classes

AUTHOR: Kris - (United States of America)

I am a current student of Carolyne's and I have been for over a year now.  In my experience, she has been nothing but fair.  I've seen her make all kinds of compromises from those who cannot afford to pay up front.  At the end of the day of course she wants to get the money.  How else would she pay her teachers?!  How could she pay for the space?  We all sign contracts at the beginning of the classes because there are so many people who would take advantage if we didn't.  It is a business and she has to support herself just as much as anyone else.

To say that she cares nothing for her students and their success is an outright lie!  Over the year I have known her she has dedicated hours of her very valuable time to addressing my industry questions at no cost to me.  This hardly sounds like someone who doesn't care.

She is a great salesperson but that is in no way is a bad thing!  She lays out the benefit of her classes for you and after you hear them it all sounds great.  That's because it is great!  There are a lot of scams out there and this ain't one of them.

As to the cost of the classes.  They are not that expensive if you break them down.  Most of the classes pan out to be 50 dollars a week.  That's 50 dollars per 4 hour class which translates to 12.50 an hour.  For this kind of knowledge and experience that is cheap!

So....

AUTHOR: Joshua - (United States of America)

I was the teacher of this summer session that Sam attended.  When the class began I let everyone know that the amount of work required would be great, and that I would not allow them to slack off.  It became apparent rather quickly that Sam was not up to commitment.  After about two weeks of the six week course (and it was at this point that Sam hinted at some kind of car trouble) Sam began to tell me that he was putting the work in, and I could go check with his other teachers at Carolyne's studio; so I did. I was told by one of my colleagues that Sam was almost never prepared, and that he tried to skate by all the time.  When confronted with this, he stated that this couldn't possibly be true (or something to that affect).  It was at this point that Sam began to miss class.  Every partner he had assured me that he was rarely available for rehearsal, and that he "wasn't getting it."
It seemed rather convenient to me that as soon as Sam began to fall on his face a bit in class, he found a reason why he couldn't possibly attend class.
I have taught for Carolyne for over 5 years.  I have found her to be remarkably flexible in allowing students to pay in even the smallest of increments in order to work with their financial needs.  Everyone is treated equally, with no favoritism given.
Sam's report seems to be one written out of frustration, due to the fact that he was unable to live up to the commitments of that class, and felt it was Carolyne's burden to bear...

-Joshua

Support for Carolyne Barry

AUTHOR: Ryan - (United States of America)

I have taken classes from Carolyne Barry and been a class assistant with her for over a year. In all of that time she has always treated me with respect and I always felt that she wanted the best for me. She has always worked with me for working out payment plans so that it is easier for me to afford classes and always wants to know how things are progressing with me and with the class.

Carolyne always wants her students to be the best. I have never doubted that.

She is also, without a doubt, a business woman and is running a business. She takes that side of things very seriously as well.

She asks a lot out of students in her classes and asks them to be serious about their commitment to the class. I never felt she has been unjust in any way. Carolyne only wants honesty and integrity in people and in their acting.

Not a rip-off

AUTHOR: Paul Dietz - (United States of America)

Hi,
I'm one of Carolyne's students and was in the Meisner intensive with you.  Actually, I worked directly with you several times.

We have a lot in common.  I started working within Carolyne's program in early 2009 just like you.  I was in the intensive as well.  I asked for a discount and was turned down.  Also, I wrecked my car half way through the course.

The difference was that I made an effort to get to class.  I called everyone that either lived near me, worked near I worked/lived, and flat out hustled.  I never received a call from you looking for a ride.  No one in class got an email from you asking for a ride.  I know where everyone in class lives and works because it's come up in conversation.  There are several people who live and work near South LA.  They would have had no problem giving you a ride.  I know this because they gave me rides.  Basically, you didn't make an effort to get there.

What I saw was that the class is challenging and you couldn't handle it.  I saw Josh push you to get into the work.  It's not an easy class and Josh demanded the world from us because he brought everything to it.  He pushed the rest of the class and I hard.  It was nerve-racking because it requires you to dig deep and live through somethings you wish you never had to.  However, it's a career choice.  We all, excluding you, worked to bring what we could out in front of everyone.  It's tough but most of the class moved on to the first year of Meisner.  In short, you couldn't handle the class.

Not being able to cut it is an excellent excuse to stop going.  Yet, it's not an excuse to break a contract.  If Carolyne granted refunds to every actor who had an excuse she would not be in business very long and yes, though it's a creative business, it's still a business.

I think the world of Carolyne.  In many ways she has become a mentor to me.  She take time to talk with me directly on a personal level.  You could easily argue that my relationship with her taints my judgment of this situation and you might be right.  The problem with that argument is that she has an open relationship with every student that reaches out to her.  I'm not a special student.  I'm a proactive student because acting is my dream and I'm working to fulfill my dream.

I saw you perform and you didn't bring was Josh asked of you and he came down hard just like he has done with me.  You wrecked your car just like I did.  Money is tight for you just like it is for me and about 75% of the actors in this town.  We have several other striking similarities but we are clearly vastly different people.  I put in the work.

I'm sure you disagree with everything I've said and, hey, you might be right.  BUT, this point is the most important point and it's not something you can dispute.  Carolyne Barry is not just a person whom you dislike.  Carolyne Barry is an institution.  She's been around forever.  She worked in almost every aspect of the realm of Hollywood and she's built relationships with almost everyone in this town.  Her classes are top notch and she has a reputation that can't be tarnished.

You are a young actor who is bashing her on a public forum.  Every casting director that may be interested in casting you for a role will do their research to make sure you are someone that works well with others.  It is part of the casting directors job to insure that the actors are not people that will be difficult on set and will not bash them, the directors, producers, or other actors online.

You have just posted that Carolyne Barry, a former casting director, director, and etc. is an awful person.  No casting director will ever take a chance on you if they feel that you will bash them or anyone they work with.

In this attempt to bring down Carolyne, you've tarnished your reputation.  You are a no-name actor who's building a reputation of being difficult before you've proven your acting ability.  Not wise.

I wish you the best of luck.

Carolyne Barry Creative Entertainment Acting Workshop

AUTHOR: Sean - (USA)

So, this is the original poster of this rip off report. i think you the consumer can see through this womans lies. in these tough economic times (recession anybody?) people should probably try to be more understanding of the needs of fellow citizens. I live in South LA and her studio is in the valley. That would take hours of bus rides after the totaling of my car. If she says that she is so understanding then why was she so quick to tell me that I was going to pay her, and if I didnt she would ruin my credit? does that sound like words coming out of an "understanding" mouth? and if, as she implies, I was insulting to her which is why she chose not to work with me, uhm hello why would I have to get "insulting" if I was being helped out. she clearly had NO sympathy for my situation, and I continue to be harassed by collections for money she will never get from me.

And also... she seems very defensive about the quality of her services. Nobody is arguing how good of a class she is running. Nowhere in my article do I say her class was bad... SHE is bad. She is a scam artist in my opinion, and is very money hungry.

AUTHOR: Sean - (USA)

Carolyne Barry

AUTHOR: katey - (United States of America)

I have been a student of Carolyne's for over 3 years now and She has always been very understanding and helpful when it came to payment plans.  I have recommended quite a few people to Carolyne because of her reasonable prices and the great classes I have taken.  She truly does care about each of her students and is always there to give advice. I have never once found her to be unfair or unprofessional in way and will continue to recommend her class!!

#15 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Responding to vindictive accusations

AUTHOR: Carolyne - (USA)

I am Carolyne Barry and I want to respond to this man's report.  I have been teaching and producing quality workshops for actors since 1980.  In fact I am one of the most successful sole-proprietors of actor programs, Therefore my reputation is important to me so I find it necessary to address his vindictive accusations.

1) I don't give discounts to anyone so that no one feels that they are getting a better deal than any other student.  This policy is meant to provide the students with the knowledge that there are no favorites and they are all being treated the same.

2) I did not recommend he take the Meisner class.  He heard about it from other students in his acting class and the teacher and asked to be part of it.  This class is very emotionally challenging so I am very careful not to recommend it.  I suggest it and have the students audit it to make sure it is for them.

3) The Meisner class is a 6 week - twice a week class where we only took 16 people so that everyone would get lots of one-on-one time.  So it is 12 classes they get for their $495.

4) I provide very liberal payment plans for students of which this young man took advantage.  I spread his payments out with postdated checks for over several weeks (if I remember right it was 2 months). I also offer workstudy programs in every class to students who can't afford them.  This young man was not able to take advantage of that.

5) This Meisner class is set up so that once it starts it is very difficult to replace a student so we have the students agree that if they choose to take the class and if for any reason they must drop it, they would be financially responsible for the full class. This young man signed an agreement at the beginning of class acknowledging this policy.  You see, I pay for the space and for the teacher at the start of the class for the full class that is why this policy is necessary

6) When he told me about his car problems, I tried to get him a ride (as far as I know he never called anyone to discuss a ride) and pointed out other forms of transportation which he felt was not convenient.  If he were to use public
transportation, as far as I know he would only miss part of the class not 3/4 of it.

7) There were several conversations with this young man where I was really trying to help him.  But when he got angry and told me that I didn't care about my students and accused me of only being interested in the money, I did get upset. I have had students who have bounced checks or cheated me financially in the past but have never taken them to a collection agency.  This young man's attitude was offensive and that is why I am holding him financially responsible and only him.

I work with hundreds of new students every year.  I don't advertise. All my students come from very satisfied previous students and agents.  I was voted the favorite Commercial teacher in Los Angeles last year.  I believe all of this success is because I am a great teacher, the teachers I have in my program are great and because I do care deeply about actors and want to help them.