• Report: #992080

Complaint Review: Carpet Depot

• Submitted: Sat, January 05, 2013
  • Updated: Sat, January 05, 2013

• Reported By: Disappointed customer — Bellmore New York United States of America
Carpet Depot
3080 Hempstead Tpke Levittown, New York United States of America

Carpet Depot Larry (Asher?) BEWARE-MAJOR Price Gouging Ripoff after Hurricane Sandy, Levittown, New York

Ready for unbelievable price gouging in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy? I was charged $1,550 plus tax ($1683) by Carpet Depot to rip out a flooded carpet and remove 4 empty desks. When the salesman, Larry, came to my house a couple of days after Hurricane Sandy, I was told it would take 3 men and a full day, so I accepted the price on these terms and out of desperation. I had no power, no internet, no phone except a cell phone that worked sporadically at best. I had no time to search elsewhere and Larry knew it. When he said it would take a full day I felt it was still inflated but somewhat justified. He later told me repeatedly that he can get away with these ridiculous prices because everyone is doing it under the circumstances and insurance will cover it anyway.

Presumably at the risk of my changing my mind, Larry said it had to be prepaid in full instead of a deposit. That was the first sign that he wasn't being straight with me.

When the workers came 4 days later to do the job I noticed it was only 2 workers insetad of 3. The worst part is the entire job took 1 hour! $1,683 for 1 hour. I asked the workers if they had other jobs scheduled for the day and they said they had a few, so it was known from the beginning this was a quick job.

Naturally I called Larry immediately. I got a pompous attitude when i called to complain. After what I (and many others) had been through, having to literally swim out of my home to safety with a child, dog and fianc, being ripped off after such an ordeal is beyond words. The best lawyers in the world don't charge $1,550 per hour! They wouldn't even tell me what they charged per sq ft when I asked. Larry said they "don't do it that way" and he admitted it normally would cost only a few hundred for this. The total space was only about 280sq ft! This is only for taking out the carpet!

When I threatened to go to the news for price gouging, Larry's tone immediately changed but he offered nothing back on this ridiculous charge.  BEWARE of this business! Anyone who can take advantage of such a horrible disaster is pretty low in my book.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2013 10:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carpet-Depot/Levittown-New-York-11756/Carpet-Depot-Larry-Asher-BEWARE-MAJOR-Price-Gouging-Ripoff-after-Hurricane-Sandy-Levi-992080. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carpet Depot