• Report: #219096

• Submitted: Sat, November 04, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, November 04, 2006

• Reported By:Brighton Colorado
Carpet Exchange
8690 Grant St Thornton, Colorado U.S.A.

Carpet Exchange Dishonest and failure to disclose Ripoff Thornton Colorado

In September 2005, my wife and I purchased carpet and it was installed in October. After my wife signed off I noticed that there was small area of carpet damage when I got home that night. We called and told Carpet Exchange about it and they came out weeks later to inspect and months later they repaired it (after several phone calls).

You see they gave us a choice to repair or replace the whole carpet. With having to move my Dad in ASAP, we chose to repair. What Bill at Carpet Exchange didn't tell us was that the manufacturer was going to pay them for the whole carpet job regardless of what we decide and by doing this repair the carpet warranty would be voided. What he did tell us is that the repair would include a settlement for a few hundred dollars along with the repair. So I'm thinking this is a nice jester on manufactures part to pay you a little money back since you are saving them money by doing a repair instead of a replacement (which means also that they don't have to move a bunch of furniture out of the basement).

So they send the repair man in he cuts out the spot and tapes in some of my left over carpet and he leaves without giving us a check. Days later you get a check in the mail with a note that states that by accepting this check no other claims can be made on this repair. So you trust them and you think that what that means is I can't go back on them later about this same repair right? Wrong.

Months later, we cleaned a spot with a Bissell carpet cleaner in another room, and I noticed the carpet yarns begin to un-twist while I cleaned the spot. Since we thought we were still under warranty, I called Bill at the Thornton location on 5/23/06 to report it. He told us he would have to call the manufacturer and get back to us. After several phone calls months later, Bill told us the manufacturer refused the claim due to the use of the Bissell carpet cleaner. He told me to talk to Bissell and to make a claim with them. They of course laughed at the whole notion.

After taking a closer look at the carpet, I noticed the whole carpet was starting to un-twist in areas were no carpet cleaner had been used only the vacuum, and called Bill again. After getting the run around for weeks from Bill, and him even coming out to do an inspection and taking samples he finally told me the manufacturer refused to open another claim (Oct '06). While knowing full well all along that Carpet Exchange had already gotten paid for the whole carpet job in January when they did the repair and the carpet had no warranty to even make a claim on.

So I was finally able to get the phone # for the manufacture from Bill and called them myself to get something in writing only to be told they never received a call from Carpet Exchange to open another claim and they would never refuse to open a claim for a carpet dealer and that Carpet Exchange received payment for the whole carpet job in January so now there is no warranty on the carpet.And Bill at Carpet Exchange says that repairs with settlements like ours are not uncommon for them.

Terry
Brighton, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/04/2006 11:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carpet-Exchange/Thornton-Colorado-80229/Carpet-Exchange-Dishonest-and-failure-to-disclose-Ripoff-Thornton-Colorado-219096. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carpet Exchange