Complaint Review: Carrentals.com

• Updated: Mon, October 26, 2009

• Reported By: DAVID — TUCSON Arizona USA
Carrentals.com
http://www.carrentals.com Internet United States of America

Carrentals.com Did not honor estimate. Change reservation without authorization. Expensive higher price. Currently irresponsive Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't hold your breath

I made a reservation with Thrifty at Fort Lauderdale via CarRentals.com on July 22nd. for an estimate of $159 (see attached pic.). When arriving at location, on Aug. 19th, I found the reservation was changed to a more expensive car type without my knowledge (went from an Economy car, to a Full size car), implying a total of $43 more. I took the car because clearly I needed it.

Thrifty didn't care, saying reservatons made by 3rd parties is not their problem. They told me I have to "call" CarRentals.com, which I couldn't since there's no phone number contact to be found. I wrote an email requesting a refund of the difference between my estimate and what I paid. They replied an email saying that the reservation was changed on Aug. 17th, 2 days prior to pick up. I checked and the only thing I had that day was a reminder about the reservation. I didn't even open that email because I saw the title and yes, I knew I was having a reservation. [continued below]....
....... kind of hard to forget when you arrive at another city. In that email was the new surprising estimate with a different car.

I did not change my reservation, nobody else did in my knowledge since I'm the only one checking this information. I wrote them stating I don't care how that happened, who did that and how, the only thing I wanted (still what I want) is to receive a refund for the difference between my estimate ($159.37), declared in an email dated on  July 22nd, and the final cost of the rental (203.19 paid on Aug. 25th) which is $43.82.

No answer after several days. Wrote back sending the same email and no answer yet.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/03/2009 04:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carrentalscom/internet/Carrentalscom-Did-not-honor-estimate-Change-reservation-without-authorization-Expensiv-489716. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carrentals.com

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Don't hold your breath

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

When you arrived at the Thrifty counter and were told that your reservation was for a full size car you should have refused that car immediately. If Thrifty could not have given you an economy car or at least a compact (often economy cars are few and far between) you should have gone to someone else. There are lots of car rental places at Ft Lauderdale airport and signs "cars available". I have 3rd party reservations for rental cars all the time and have never found an argumentative rental car agent. They know that the competition is just next door.

Rental car places always try to upgrade you -often for less money than if you had reserved the bigger car. You can always refuse. In some cases they might not have the class of car you reserved. They are usually willing to cut you a deal on what they do have.

A reservation is just a reservation. It doesn't bind anyone except the rental car agency.

Next time open emails from places you made reservations through. What if the email said that for some reason your reservation was cancelled or changed? If you hadn't liked the new reservation and estimate that you ignored you could have changed or cancelled it.