Complaint Review: Casey's General Store

• Submitted: Thu, February 19, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, February 27, 2009

• Reported By:Des Moines Iowa
Casey's General Store
1600 Conveinence Blvd. Des Moines, Iowa U.S.A.

Casey's General Store A racist,bigotted, dirty, and corrupt gas station that should not exist anymore. Des Moines Iowa

*UPDATE Employee: I Managed A Casey's In Grinnell, Iowa

*Consumer Comment: I don't buy this for a minute

*Consumer Comment: What the owner is doing is illegal

*Consumer Comment: I would warn folks in the area not to shop there

I used to work at Casey's General Store and my experience was absolutely horrible and regrettable. When I started behind the counter, the manager told me to stop saying 'Thank You' to the customers. I couldn't believe he was telling me to stop courteous towards consumers who might come back. Besides that, my friend Dwayne, an African-American, wanted to work with me at the store. He told the manager he wanted to get a job there, but the manager said they weren't hiring anyone at the time. After Dwayne left the store, the manager came to me behind the counter and told me, "At Casey's, we don't hire (n-words) or latinos like them at all. We are to remain a white business." I was shocked that they are racist and bigotted towards these people. Have they forgotten that we now have Barack Obama as president?

But the worst of the racism and bigotry from them was when both the manager and a representative of the company gave me an invitation to join the Ku Klux Klan. I immediately said no and they kept offering me the invitations. I kept saying no.

As I kept working there, I discovered why their coffee has that "grounded" taste: there was mice poop in the coffee filters. Each one I did, the results were the same: mice poop in the filters. When my dad found out, he quit buying the coffee and told all of his friends. I called the company in Ankeny, Iowa and they said they were going to do something about it. Ever since I was "supposedly fired", they have done nothing about it.
The store was absolutely dirty and I asked the manager why the store was in the condition the way it was, his only reply was, "Don't worry about it. We're not going to fix up this place anyway. There's going to be a new store opening soon and we're just going to tear this one down. Casey's doesn't clean up and fix up the stores. We just build a new one and tear the old ones down." That explains why the stores are so dirty and why they build new ones on the other sides of towns.

The health inspectors have even complained about Casey's, but that's because they have already "paid the fine". One state health inspector wanted to shut down the store I was working at, but then out of nowhere the manager jumped out to talk to him. The manager took him to the back where I heard money being pulled out of his pocket. I was startled to hear him say, "Mr. Franklin and Mr. Grant says this place is clean. If you want more of it and more often, you tell the Iowa governmnet that all the Casey's General Stores are clean. Don't report us and I'll give you double next time." I couldn't believe it. I witnessed the manager bribing the health inspector and he was counting the money as he left. What kind of a corrupt business would do such a thing? Casey's would.
Then my time at Casey's would come to an end, when I was "supposedly fired". I had to work overtime one and I expected both the 40 hours and overtime hours would be on it. I wasn't paid for overtime. I complained to the manager and asked why wasn't I paid the overtime hours. He replyed, "Casey's doesn't pay anyone overtime and they don't plan to give anyone money for overtime. By the way, I can't believe you won't join the KKK and get away from that (n-word) that you call a friend." I shouted at the top of my lungs," You have no right to tell me who to be friends and I'm not going to join your racist group because you and the company are ignorant." After that moment he said I was fired and he literally threw me out.
I told my parents about what happened to me and they told me to file a lawsuit immediately. Just as I was about to take it to court, the manager and a representative of Casey's said they were going to countersue me for "harassment and emotional disstress". How was I harassing them when they when I was wrongfully fired because I had a black friend and that I didn't get paid overtime? My parents and I kept getting death threats from Casey's and I was so scared, I moved out of the state. I'm somewhere in the state of Missouri right now and I have been in and still in therapy for five years. Casey's General Store gave me the worst emotional scars of my life.
After reading this, I encourage everyone not to shop there and work there. They are racist, dirty, and downright corrupt. This is a company that needs to be shut down. I would greatly appreciate it if you join me and boycott the business indefinately. Thank you and God Bless.

Robert b
Des Moines, Iowa

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/19/2009 11:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Caseys-General-Store/Des-Moines-Iowa-50301/Caseys-General-Store-A-racistbigotted-dirty-and-corrupt-gas-station-that-should-not-ex-426070. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Casey's General Store

I Managed A Casey's In Grinnell, Iowa

AUTHOR: Pedro Goldstein - (U.S.A.)

As a former store manager in Grinnell, Iowa, I need to rebut the terrible lies that "Robert" told in his complaint aginst Casey's.

# 1) It is true that Casey's policy is to avoid the overused and insincere phrase, "Thank You". We are instructed to use the fresh and unique phrase "Have A Nice Day' instead. You should have known that if you were awake during your 18 week clerk recruit training boot camp.

#2) You claim the manager told you that Casey's doesn't hire "N-word". That is a down right LIE. Once again I refer you to the Casey's Operations Specifications Manual section 23.33(a)4.b on page 243 which is called "The Brown Paper Bag Rule", "Anytime a person enters a Casey's General Store who possesses a skin color darker than that of a brown paper bag, the clerk is to inform said person that a highly trained police attack dog is present in the beer cooler and a digital recording is being transmitted to the FBI/ICE headquarters in Washington DC. The clerk is also required to say 'Have A Nice Day' before discharging a tear gas cannister in the direction said person."

#3) Invitation to join the KKK. I will refer you again to the Casey's Employee Benefits sheet. A complimentary membership in the KKK is provided, however, the KKK being referenced by your manager is for the "Kids, K-mart and Kool-aid" club which gives employee's Kids a 10% discount card for Kmart and free Kool-aid.

#4) Mice Poop in coffee filters. That was not mice poop but Casey's own secret coffee enhancer called "Flavor Pellets" which boost the caffine level for our trucker customers who need that 'extra boost' and can't afford to buy meth in this economy.

#5) Bribing state health inspectors with $100s (Mr Franklin) and $50s (Mr Grant). That is a flat out lie! The Iowa inspectors are more than happy to take the word of Mr. Washington and Mr. Lincoln when it comes to health and sanitary issues.

I could go on, but there is no need to. Enjoy your life in Missouri "Robert"

I don't buy this for a minute

AUTHOR: Inspector - (U.S.A.)

You heard money being pulled from his pocket? You were shocked at bigotry? At health inspectors taking bribes? And the part about tearing down the store when it gets dirty and building a new one on the other side of town is priceless!

Where have you been living? You need therapy for this! You need therapy alright, but not for this.

AUTHOR: Steph - (U.S.A.)

What the owner is doing is illegal and discrimination. Your african american friend can sue him for this. He can complain to the labor board that the owner of this store is refusing to hire him because of his race.
I would also tell people not to shop there as well. I would not give that man my business as well either who wants to shop in a dirty store filled with mice , rats and roaches. I would not even blame you for boycotting the store either

AUTHOR: Steph - (U.S.A.)

I would warn folks in the area not to shop there

AUTHOR: Steph - (U.S.A.)

I write a letter to the editor of the News paper in that area or the opinion column telling folks not to shop there and why. Also about that so called owner not paying you over time turn him in to the labor board what they will do is investigate this and they will get your money and fine this owner up to $10,000 or higher .
I would not work for a biggot like him at all. In fact that N word has nothing to do with skin color I looked up the word and this creep can be one also . The definition to the N word is an ignorant person your african american friend will tell you that as well.