So I was an assistant manager in training at store #2271 in Vincennes IN. As this is relevant, I am a MtF Transsexual. I was told, at first, no problem, Casey's has a no discrimination policy, yer good. Then it started.
First, they required my "old" male name on everything. Including non-legal paperwork and login systems for the registers. This, of course, outs me to the entire store, and anyone who cares glance at a reciept. I start getting told by employees how uncomfortable they are working with me, start getting actual threats. I let my manager know, and I'm told, "it'll be dealt with".....until I report her best pal.
THen, all of a sudden, I'm being nitpicked. I'm not auditing books right. I'm not opening the store correctly (the store doesn't follow policy on doing this anyway, so...). I can't count money. I'm using paperclips instead of rubber bands to bundle cash! (paperclips are SO EXPENSIVE!) I was being trained for one day on complex tasks, then told "do em".
Well, today, magically, my cash drawer was $300 short. Called in the store manager, and after a bunch of hemming and hawwing, got told "Well, you shouldn't have been training the new girl on how to run a register. She has a learning disability you know." I demanded an investigation into where the money went, and got "Well, when I get to it, I'll watch the video tape. Until then, turn in your namebadge and keys. Your choice right now is quit, or be terminated."
So, I got set up. The store manager is best pals with her boss, and specific members of the crew. When I insisted that we do things according to policy, I got set up for a fall.
And as a manager, here's some fun things I was taught. This is book policy.
1. There is never water in our fuel. Unless the water detector reads 5 inches or more water in the tank, keep selling. If you claim water in the gas, you better have 3 estimates from mechanics "we" trust, and it's going to corporate, so be ready to wait.
2. Kitchen help is expected to run a register. Think of how dirty money is. now think of that burger you just ate.
3. The bags of ice are made on-site. From an ice machine, like at a hotel. Scooped by hand, into a bucket, into a bag. Guess when the last time the bucket was cleaned? Guess if the cashier, handling money all day, washed his/her hands before scooping ice?
4. The ice in the soda fountain machine....comes from the same place.
5. On the soda fountain, those nozzles NEVER get cleaned. Or the tubing inside. It's a sticky messy hassle. Pure sugar. We had a roach problem. So did every store I visited.
6. The deli and doughnuts are both big money makers and money sinks for the store.I'll give you three guesses why you won't see a "made on" date on any of it. Same with the pizza.
9. Homemade doughnuts means "We either took them out the freezer and heat them up, or mixed water and doughnut mix in a machine and deepfry them".
10. Casey's gas is "leftover" gas. This is why it's not branded. After branded stores get gas, they sell the leftover gas in the trucks to stores like Casey's.