Complaint Review: Cash Call

• Submitted: Thu, July 26, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, December 02, 2008

• Reported By:West Valley Utah
Cash Call
17360 Brookhurst Street Fountain Valley, California U.S.A.

Cash Call, SCAM ARTIST BLATANTLY VIOLATED THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION ACT Fountain Valley California

*Consumer Suggestion: Here's an idea

*Consumer Suggestion: No violations

*Consumer Comment: FYI....

*Consumer Comment: Joyce..are you serious?

I made the HUGE mistake of borrowing from Cash Call last December. I made the payments for 3 months until I lost my second job and could no longer pay them. After trying to work this out, I finally gave up and refused to talk to them. In the meantime, I moved from Florida to Utah.

They have called the following people and disclosed to some of them my personal business, including the statement "We are investigating a possible fraud by" and gave my name. Also, they have included my husband who was never a party to this:

1. My ex-husband of 14 years (They asked for me and then my current husband).
2. My daughter (they disclosed quite a bit of info to her).
3. My father-in-law.
4. My sister-in-law.
5. My former landlord.
6. There are probably many others who have been contacted that I don't know about yet.

NONE of these people were listed on the loan. They had to have run a people search. The most outrageous person they called is my ex-husband I divorced 14 years ago. Of course, I did not put his name on the loan.

They spent the entire afternoon yesterday harassing me and my husband. They have so blatantly broken the law. They obviously think NO ONE will fight them. I hope an attorney will take my case. I absolutely will not pay them another dime, as they owe me for breaking the law.

Joyce
West Valley, Utah

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/26/2007 12:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cash-Call/Fountain-Valley-California-92708/Cash-Call-SCAM-ARTIST-BLATANTLY-VIOLATED-THE-FAIR-DEBT-COLLECTION-ACT-Fountain-Valley-Cal-263398. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cash Call

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Here's an idea

AUTHOR: Swany - (U.S.A.)

Joyce,

I understand that you are going thru tough times, but these people borrowed you money (I'm guessing over 1500 dollars) in a time of need. What would you do if you borrowed thousands of dollars to a person you didn't know, and not only did they not repay you, they moved across the country and didn't return phone calls. The fact you are mad because people are trying to find you to get money you in essence stole confuses me. These people are using the necessary resources to find you. The fact that you are hiding from your obligations is somewhat pathetic.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

No violations

AUTHOR: Don - (U.S.A.)

From what you described, they have not violated the law. They have mentioned that they are investigating, nothing more. They are not violating the FDCPA anyways, as they are first party collectors. They can legally discuss the full details of the debt as both states you live in allow for the discussion of the debt with a spouse.

Now for the personal comment. You tired of dealing with them, so you gave up. They have not obviously. You got into the situation, and only you can get out of it. If you want this dealt with, first thing is you are going to have to speak to them. Running and hiding solves nothing.

FYI....

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Collection agencies may not contact your friends, relatives, neighbors or employer for any information other than your address or telephone number. They cannot disclose that they are calling about a debt. By stating "possible" fraud it sounds like they know what they're doing in terms of avoiding legal action. It's sleazy and these folks are merciless, opportunistic bottom-feeders. As you probably are now aware...you never should have dealt with these people to begin with.

These firms have a specific business model: targeting poor and/or down-on-their luck people who don't have the resources to fight back.

With interest rates at 96%, if you don't make large payments towards this debt...ie..you can only afford minimum payments...you'll be caught in a never-ending cycle...the minimum payments won't even cover the interest. The amount you owe will ironically continue to go up even if you made minimum payments on time.

Joyce..are you serious?

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Joyce,

You took a loan and made a whopping three payments on it before you defaulted and then had the gall to think you can just not pay it back without repercussions. CashCall is allowed to contact ANYONE they can who may be able to help track you down. It doesn't matter whether or not they were on the loan. As for what they can say, I think they can say anything general like they did without going into the specifics of the loan details

From what I can tell from your story, the only one breaking the law is you for fraud.